Brandon Moss anyone?

ChuckS

Similar skill set to Mark Trumbo.  Better career OPS and can likely be had for a fraction of the cost in dollars and years.  Can hit lefties a bit too so he's not a strict platoon guy.  

Haven't heard much buzz about him, but he's played his whole career in extreme pitchers parks (St. Louis and Oakland) and could potentially do some real damage in Baltimore.  Surprisingly, he has some favorable defensive ratings in the OF over his career so it's safe to say he will be an improvement over Trumbo out there.  I prefer him to Trumbo because of cost and prefer him to Alvarez because of positional flexibility.  He will play all of 2017 at age 33.

I'm not sure what it will take to sign him.  1/12 or 2/18 maybe?  I like him at DH versus RHP and at RF versus LHP and adding Colby Rasmus on a one year deal to play RF against LHP.  Rasmus still put up a .694 OPS versus RHP in a dreadful year last season and is due for a bounce back - career .775 versus LHP.  He's also a plus defender in right. 

Lineup versus RHP: 1. Kim (LF) 2. Machado (3B) 3. Davis (1B) 4. Jones (CF) 5. Moss (DH) 6. Castillo (C) 7. Rasmus (RF) 8. Schoop (2B) 9. Hardy (SS)

Lineup versus LHP: 1. Rickard (LF) 2. Machado (3B) 3. Davis (1B) 4. Jones (CF) 5. Mancini (DH) 6. Castillo (C) 7. Moss (RF) 8. Schoop (2B) 9. Hardy (SS)

Bench: Joseph, Flaherty, Tavarez, Mancini/Rickard (versus RHP), Rasmus/KIm (versus LHP)

I think we can start the season with a five man bench and  an 11 man pitching staff because of the early off days and rainouts.  

This is a good idea from what I can tell...Trumbo was better than I thought he would be last year ( I didn't think he would last all year in RF), but he is a better option.

As Yard said, keep the pick (we need desperately) and reallocate for OBP and more SP depth.

I like it.

DD won't do it though because he won't be here past his contract and could care less about draft picks because of that IMO.

I don't think Moss gets 1/12 or 2/18 - the market is killin his pocketbook.

Brandon Moss + Colby Rasmus would be yet another fine off season, provided we don't see 2016 Colby Rasmus.  Moss and Alvarez are more or less interchangeable, though Alvarez is younger and had a better 2016, and Moss can play some corner OF (you know Buck would prefer positional flexibility at DH).

If he could pass the Orioles Physical, I would prefer Desmond Jennings on a one year plus team option for another ($2.5 M AAV w/$200,000 buyout).  With his getting off that God awful turf in Tampa for more than 81 Games may prolong his leg health and he could have a comeback year.  His career away splits make him look better away from the turf than on it.  He is a Boris Client and will probably not sign until near ST.  He is not the Lefty Bat but could fill in with Kim in Left.  Frees up Tavarez/Rickard for right field

We'd have to strike out on everyone else first.  I don't see that happening.  It doesn't make for great conversation on here but I see us playing the waiting game and most likely landing Trumbo for RF.  If not Pagan, Bautista, Saunders and trades would be explored before Moss.  

Seems like a guy that will end up with TB or another team that will give him regular AB's and then be dealt at the deadline to a contender.  

5 hours ago, markakis8 said:

I think this should be our last addition to the 25 man roster. DH/RF/LF/1B. Can move Moss, Smith, Kim, Rickard, Davis, and Mancini around these four positions depending on who we our facing and who needs rest. 

I am sold. Agreed.

Archived