TT: Smith for Gallardo trade a good step, but now what?

Tony-OH

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

If Trumbo's demands really come down to the 3/40 range then sure, that would probably be good. But I think it might be better to go with the cheaper options of Pedro Alvarez or Luis Valbuena at primary DH on a shorter deal, using Mancini against lefties. I'd rather sign Pagan and Alvarez/Valbuena than sign just Trumbo for around the same cost. 

I'm not a defensive metrics guy , but I think Valbeuna might be an interesting option. He plays everywhere but SS in the infield. Looking his OPS is actually pretty close to Alvarez. His OBP seems to be 80-100 points higher than his average. You will lose some of the raw power IMO.

I took a look at him as a pinch hitter and DH for his career and he's around the Mendoza line when he's not playing the field. Some guys can't DH and perhaps he's that king of guy. The only way he'd find regular time in the field is a Hardy stint that pushes Manny to SS.

based on that I think Alvarez is the better option. 

I am all about Valbuena to replace Flaherty on the 25-man (and play more than Flaherty would).

Smith (- Gallardo) + Pagan + Valbuena = Happy Nuggets

mcd-meals-happy-nuggets.png

I do appreciate Flaherty more than some on the board though.  And I think Pagan + Valbuena would be more in AAV than just Trumbo.

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Buck has gone on record this winter saying Kim deserved more of a look vs. LHP.

Buck went on record before last spring about how Kim was a good hitter then buried him three weeks into spring training and tried to get him to go back to Korea or to the minors. Not saying he might not give him more looks, but it's doubtful they go into spring training with that as the plan.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Buck went on record before last spring about how Kim was a good hitter then buried him three weeks into spring training and tried to get him to go back to Korea or to the minors. Not saying he might not give him more looks, but it's doubtful they go into spring training with that as the plan.

I do not think the Orioles will ever use Kim against lefties. On purpose. 

16 hours ago, Babypowder said:

I'm curious why you'd like Trumbo on 3/40 to be the DH when there are comparable hitters for much less, one you already pointed out. Chris Carter and Trumbo's career lines are also strikingly similar.

Also, aren't the O's also giving up a draft pick to sign Trumbo? Is anyone figuring the value of that pick into his acquisition?

15 hours ago, weams said:

When Trumbo comes back, if he does, it will be for 4/ 52 tp 56. And the 8 million dollar value of the pick will amortize over four seasons at 2 million a year. Making the AAV about 15.5  If you include the pick value at maximum. 

Am I missing something? Why would the Orioles be giving up a draft pick to sign Trumbo?

9 minutes ago, schittenden said:

Am I missing something? Why would the Orioles be giving up a draft pick to sign Trumbo?

They get a draft pick if someone else signs him before June.  That's the pick they are referring to.

Similar to Davis last season.

This feels like heresy, but I am all aboard the Jose Bautista train at the right price instead of Trumbo. He should at the very least bring OBP. Then you let Kim full time DH (maybe throw in Mancini some) and platoon someone with Smith in left field. Hear me DD, we don't like Bautista, but we understand it's a business.. Get it done!! 

14 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

They get a draft pick if someone else signs him before June.  That's the pick they are referring to.

Similar to Davis last season.

I see. So, they'd be giving up on a potential minor league player in 3-4 years when we have almost none of the guys who are helping us win today. 

8 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

This feels like heresy, but I am all aboard the Jose Bautista train at the right price instead of Trumbo. He should at the very least bring OBP. Then you let Kim full time DH (maybe throw in Mancini some) and platoon someone with Smith in left field. Hear me DD, we don't like Bautista, but we understand it's a business.. Get it done!! 

I feel like adding him to the clubhouse would be seriously disruptive to the team. I think he's a bad idea. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Buck has now seen Kim play for an entire season.  That's different from saying things about a player you've never seen play.   If you look at Kim's season, he only played in 12 of the first 43 games (8 starts).    That's on Buck, fine.   After that, he played in 34 of 44 up until a DL stint (30 starts), and then 49 of 64 (40 starts) after he returned.    Based on that, I think it's safe to expect Kim to play 2/3 of the time this year, and Buck has made it clear that he'd like to give Kim more opportunities vs. LHP in 2017, so I think he'll play more like 3/4 of the time.    

Archived