Report: Orioles Show Interest in Moss

Rene88

58 minutes ago, crissfan172 said:

I just want a good OF to put out there with Jones. I'd prefer two, but that's clearly not happening. 

They may also want to seriously consider who plays CF if Jones goes down. All these borderline OF/DH types not helping. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

They may also want to seriously consider who plays CF if Jones goes down. All these borderline OF/DH types not helping. 

They should consider moving Jones to corner OF anyway.  :|

If there were a good CF available I'd still be hawking Smith to LF, Jones to RF and Kim to DH.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I'll give you a name that is still out there and would be a good low-cost bench OF.  And he's a righty.  And more Seattle ties.

Franklin Gutierrez.

Hits lefties real well, last year and for his career. This article is about how his defense has gotten a lot worse.

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2016/9/2/12763250/the-defensive-demise-of-franklin-gutierrez

19 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Correction, typo: Report "Orioles interested in Moses"

The article says despite Moses being able to part the seas, Buck says he is saving him until we have a lead and he likes Reimold out there over Jesus.

I wouldn't play Montero in the OF either.

Moses unfortunately is deceased, but he was a darn good RF:

moses-wallypha1936_display_image.jpg

31 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I just don't understand the love for Pagan.

I'll try to spell it out:

- he's about the best defensive option left.  A sub-par CF who just last year moved to LF.  If he adjusts he can be a plus defender there.  He can also be the emergency reserve CF for Jones.

- he is a switch hitter, albeit stronger vs RHP.  He does OPS over .700 vs LHP and therefore doesn't need a platoon.  The Orioles can then get a RH hitter to play DH/RF and platoon with Kim/Smith (and back up Davis).

- despite his age he is a fair%, mid-volume base stealer.  The last three years he's averaged 14 SB and 5 CS.

- he is average offensively but is more OBP-driven (career .280/.330/.408, 102 OPS+).  Combined with his good baserunning, he has posted fairly good wRC+ and oWAR numbers.

- all of this do-everything-above-average means he is a good-not-great player.  Except for a down year in 2015, he has consistently had good metrics.  The big question is his age and whether he can keep it up, or revert back to his 2015 form.

oooooooo

Hey, if the team is willing to spend, i wouldn't mind seeing them sign Pagan AND Trumbo.  Buck Showalter should be able to juggle four players for three spots (Pagan, Kim, Smith, Trumbo for LF/RF/DH).

11 hours ago, weams said:

I think he signs with the Orioles next week. 

So, we sign Trumbo.  I love those HRs, but where does this leave Mancini?  You almost have to trade him, right?  And for what?  Teams, knowing this, will have us by the gonnads and offer crap. don't ya think?  If we keep him, ya don't let a guy with his hitting talent sit, do ya?  All he can do is DH.  How much 1B time will he see?  With Trumbo, we now would have three lumbering OF/DH types, ( Kim, Smith and Trumbo on any given day), on either side of Jonesy, (he'll just love that.)  Can't keep five OFers and they surely will keep Rule V guy Aneury Tavares, (Santander, I hear, won't be ready to start the season), so, where does this leave Joey Rickard?  And, now, they're interested in Brandon Moss. So, what's the solution here?  My head is spinning and I'm not drinking or smoking anything!

4 hours ago, ELMERO said:

So, we sign Trumbo.  I love those HRs, but where does this leave Mancini?  You almost have to trade him, right?  And for what?  Teams, knowing this, will have us by the gonnads and offer crap. don't ya think?  If we keep him, ya don't let a guy with his hitting talent sit, do ya?  All he can do is DH.  How much 1B time will he see?  With Trumbo, we now would have three lumbering OF/DH types, ( Kim, Smith and Trumbo on any given day), on either side of Jonesy, (he'll just love that.)  Can't keep five OFers and they surely will keep Rule V guy Aneury Tavares, (Santander, I hear, won't be ready to start the season), so, where does this leave Joey Rickard?  And, now, they're interested in Brandon Moss. So, what's the solution here?  My head is spinning and I'm not drinking or smoking anything!

I don't think you make decisions on the team based on Mancini. As much as I like him. 

Trying to build and maintain a roster through an entire season has some flaws in it when none of the Twenty-Five players are with options.  When (not if) an injury occurs, you need to have a player that can be optioned brought in to replace the injured player.  If you load up ALL the skill positions (non-pitchers) with players that have no options then the Norfolk Shuttle becomes a bit tricky.  IF the Orioles are set on keeping one or both of the Rule 5 players then the 25 just became a 23 man roster.  You also need to have 15 players that can be optioned out of ST or a waiver claim could take away one of the pieces that will be needed later in the year.

None of the free agent signings will be optional players.  Roster clutter from a platoon vested group could be an issue.  The only saving grace would be how the new 10 Day Disabled List gets used but you do need players with options to have this work effectively.

7 hours ago, ELMERO said:

With Trumbo, we now would have three lumbering OF/DH types, ( Kim, Smith and Trumbo on any given day), on either side of Jonesy, (he'll just love that.)  Can't keep five OFers and they surely will keep Rule V guy Aneury Tavares, (Santander, I hear, won't be ready to start the season), so, where does this leave Joey Rickard?  

They kept five outfielders last year -- Jones, Trumbo, Kim, Reimold and Rickard (and other OFs after Rickard got hurt), and you could have six if you don't have a guy like Alvarez at DH.    Also, I don't assume Tavares makes the team.   It's not like they handed Rickard a spot last year -- he earned it.    I think both Tavares and Rickard will be in competition for a spot this year.   

Archived