Breaking: DD has interest in Hammel

Rene88

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Most fans and Dd would rather have nothing than Jimenz. Unfortunately, all other MLB teams feel the same way.

I view the money we spent on Jimenez as a sunk cost.  He had a strong 2nd half in 2016.    There's almost nothing he could do next year that would shock me, good or bad.    I'd believe a 3.25 ERA or 6.00.    Hoping for something closer to the former.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I view the money we spent on Jimenez as a sunk cost.  He had a strong 2nd half in 2016.    There's almost nothing he could do next year that would shock me, good or bad.    I'd believe a 3.25 ERA or 6.00.    Hoping for something closer to the former.

He'll win 16 games with a sub 4 ERA, and DD will give him another 4 year deal.

Hammel could definitely stabilize the rotation but this would be a surprising use of resources. I think DD's priority is an OF or DH type, and there are several other teams who could use Hammel and might give him more, so I doubt it happens. 

14 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Hammel could definitely stabilize the rotation but this would be a surprising use of resources. I think DD's priority is an OF or DH type, and there are several other teams who could use Hammel and might give him more, so I doubt it happens. 

On the other hand, Dan seemed to indicate that the Orioles are moving on from Trumbo. That would leave them enough money for Hammel and an outfielder.

1 minute ago, Moondoggie said:

On the other hand, Dan seemed to indicate that the Orioles are moving on from Trumbo. That would leave them enough money for Hammel and an outfielder.

His words to me seem like a warning to Trumbo and his agent.  The Orioles will move on if Trumbo doesn't sign this week.

19 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

The thing about signing Hammel is that we're back to 6 SP for 5 spots.  And we know Miley and Jimenez are no good in the pen.

Does Hammel make sense in the pen?  Would the contract look like that of a relief pitcher / #6 starter?  Chances are, he'd eventually make it to the rotation as practically no team uses just five SP all season.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure, but how many teams pay large amounts of money for a 6th starter?

Hammel would not be a 6th starter.

I wonder if Dan is pointing his words at Trumbo or maybe he is sending a message to Tillman's agent.  Tillman is a FA after this season and Dan and his  agent maybe  negotiating.

1 minute ago, weams said:

I think he'll sign this week. 

Hopefully just not with us.  I was slightly encouraged when he mentioned the value of the pick although past history indicates he doesn't.  Just seems like a no brainer to take the pick, sign Pagan, and go from there.

Archived