Pedro Alvarez still a player of interest

25 Nuggets

The Orioles are interested in re-signing Pedro Alvarez to slot in as their DH and replace some of the lost production if Trumbo signs elsewhere. It’s been a quiet market for Alvarez (and most first base/DH types) thus far, but the soon-to-be 30-year-old slugger enjoyed a strong season against right-handed pitching with the O’s in 2016. Last year, “El Toro” batted .249/.322/.504 with 22 homers on the season as a whole. That line includes a dismal .243/.293/.378 showing in a small sample of 41 plate appearances against left-handers. In 334 PAs against righties, Alvarez slashed .251/.326/.522 with 21 of his 22 big flies. From my vantage point, the O’s could use another left-handed stick in their lineup, as right now only Seth Smith, Hyun Soo Kim and Chris Davis project as regulars in the lineup, and Ryan Flaherty is the only lefty on the bench. Adding a switch-hitter like Angel Pagan to handle one outfield slot and moving Smith to a DH platoon with either Christian Walker or Trey Mancini makes a fair amount of sense as well, in my eyes. The O’s are also eyeing left-handed relievers and rotation depth, per Rosenthal.

From MLBTR:

The way this reads, it looks like the team WILL have a DH either named Trumbo or Alvarez.  I'm guessing most on the board want Alvarez for his cost.  However if the team goes this way, they need to get another right handed OF/1B/DH to pair with Joey Rickard (Trey Mancini's gotta go to Norfolk in this scenario).

I agree with the writer (Steve Adams) regarding Pagan but that part is just opinion on his part.

Left handed relief / rotation depth says Travis Wood to me, but we'll see.

6 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

From MLBTR:

The way this reads, it looks like the team WILL have a DH either named Trumbo or Alvarez.  I'm guessing most on the board want Alvarez for his cost.  However if the team goes this way, they need to get another right handed OF/1B/DH to pair with Joey Rickard (Trey Mancini's gotta go to Norfolk in this scenario).

I agree with the writer (Steve Adams) regarding Pagan but that part is just opinion on his part.

Left handed relief / rotation depth says Travis Wood to me, but we'll see.

I've been saying all along, Pedro and Bourn. Make it happen captain.

Alvarez and Pagan and I'm feeling pretty good about our overall position player unit. It would require some good lineup juggling by Buck, but it's the option I'd go with. 

Vs RHP you have Alvarez at DH and 2/3 of Smith/Pagan/Kim in LF/RF. The bench is the odd man out from Smith/Pagan/Kim plus Joseph, Flaherty, and Mancini. Vs LHP it's the same just switch Mancini and Alvarez. 

27 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I've been saying all along, Pedro and Bourn. Make it happen captain.

I wouldn't mind that but at this point that would leave Pedro, Smith, Kim, and Bourn for three lefty platoon positions. Instead of Bourn I think a right handed platoon partner in RF would suit Smith well and Pedro and Mancini could cover DH.

Archived