Will Rickard beat out Kim for the starting job in left field?

wildcard

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But he's almost as good as he'll probably ever be.  He's older than both Jonathan Schoop and Manny Machado.  He'll be 26 in May.  He's young, but he's not baseball young.

So 26 is the new 30? There are people like Melvin Mora. I think he has the tools to be a solid if not great player.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But he's almost as good as he'll probably ever be.  He's older than both Jonathan Schoop and Manny Machado.  He'll be 26 in May.  He's young, but he's not baseball young.

I have to agree with El Gordo -- the average peak may be 27, but there's plenty of variation in that, and in Rickard's case, he's still early on the major league experience curve.    It seems to me that a guy like Manny or Schoop, who got to the majors at a young age, is more likely to be maxed out by 26-27 than a guy like Rickard.    But I don't know if there's data to back that up.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I have to agree with El Gordo -- the average peak may be 27, but there's plenty of variation in that, and in Rickard's case, he's still early on the major league experience curve.    It seems to me that a guy like Manny or Schoop, who got to the majors at a young age, is more likely to be maxed out by 26-27 than a guy like Rickard.    But I don't know if there's data to back that up.    

Holy crap, I didn't realize Joey was that old

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From what I recall the data shows that late bloomers decline earlier.  But I don't have anything at hand to support that.

3 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

It will be fun to see who accumulates more WAR next year: Joey or Jason Heyward.  Jason has to have a bounce back year doesn't he?

I don't think so. But even money? I'd take Heyward and live with it as it comes. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Five to .4 is my guess.

Five seems a bit optimistic.  I would settle for three and call myself a genius if I were Chicago...after I let hm exercise his opt out.  I have no idea what Joey's WAR will be, but 0.4 seems about right.  I agree with El Gordo,  there is reason not to preclude improvement.

Archived