Make your best offer to Chris Tillman

Bradysburns

3 minutes ago, weams said:

What number is it. 400 / 10 -  500 12? Which one tempts him.

There's a wide gap between those numbers and making him the highest paid baseball player in the history of the world. If you offer him the largest contract ever, he would consider it.  He would jump all over 12/400.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, weams said:

What number is it. 400 / 10 -  500 12? Which one tempts him.

These are fantasy numbers.   Some journalist who doesn't have to pay the bill writes that Harper or Machado might get $400 mm and suddenly it's an assumed truth.  No player in history has gotten a contract for more than $325 mm or averaged more than $31 mm.   I'm not saying those records can't be broken, but I don't see a good reason to assume they'll be smashed to smithereens just because a bunch of journalists are speculating about it.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

These are fantasy numbers.   Some journalist who doesn't have to pay the bill writes that Harper or Machado might get $400 mm and suddenly it's an assumed truth.  No player in history has gotten a contract for more than $325 mm or averaged more than $31 mm.   I'm not saying those records can't be broken, but I don't see a good reason to assume they'll be smashed to smithereens just because a bunch of journalists are speculating about it.    

I think they should sit Manny down right now and offer him 10/330.  Makes him the highest paid player in baseball history but doesn't approach the ridiculousness of the 400 plus mil deals that are being speculated.  He probably turns it down, but at least the attempt was made.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What was the highest contract before Arod signed for 252?

Theoretically Stanton signed for 325.

That being said I am not at all sure those two could get to 400M.  I do think Trout could if he were to hit the market at 26.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What was the highest contract before Arod signed for 252?

Theoretically Stanton signed for 325.

That being said I am not at all sure those two could get to 400M.  I do think Trout could if he were to hit the market at 26.

Technically Mike Hampton. He signed his 8/$121m deal with Colorado days before Rodriquez signed with the Rangers. Before that it was Griffey at 9/$116.m with the Reds (contract was signed before the 2000 season). So yea, there is precedent for a huge jump in terms of largest contract size and Manny or Harper getting 10/$400 or something wouldn't be as big of a jump as Griffey to Rodriquez was.

In 790 games with the Mariners A-Rod was worth 38 rWAR. Harper has been worth 21.5 in 657 games with the Nationals while Manny has 24.4 in 608 games with the O's. Manny and Harper will pass A-Rod's game total if he stays healthy. Manny's high came in 2015 where he was worth 7.1 rWAR. If he matches that in 2017 and 2018 he will match A-Rod's 38.0 pre-free agency rWAR. If he does do something like that, it wouldn't shock me if teams view Manny like Texas viewed A-Rod and set a new bar with a $400m+ contract. I think Manny's performance over the next two years will say a lot about what he earns as a free agent. A couple of 5 WAR seasons and he probably doesn't get a record setting deal. A couple of 8 WAR MVP-type seasons and I'd be surprised if he didn't set a new record.

EDIT: Should clarify I think Manny is likely to get a contract bigger than Stanton's. Instead of "record setting" I should have said "record shattering", like A-Rod's contract was.

44 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

There's a wide gap between those numbers and making him the highest paid baseball player in the history of the world. If you offer him the largest contract ever, he would consider it.  He would jump all over 12/400.

Ok then. Good to know. 

35 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think they should sit Manny down right now and offer him 10/330.  Makes him the highest paid player in baseball history but doesn't approach the ridiculousness of the 400 plus mil deals that are being speculated.  He probably turns it down, but at least the attempt was made.  

Have they done that? 

Just now, dabirds said:

Am I the only one that isn't sold on Tillman?   I don't think he is better than a #3, so I would offer him that kind of money.  Our real hopes are in Gausman and Bundy.  If they don't pan out we are in trouble.

Bundy would be happy to become Tillman. 

Just now, weams said:

Bundy would be happy to become Tillman. 

I hear you, but I hope not.  Bundy showed some really good stuff his first few starts.  Really hoping he can be something special.  I know with all the injuries it is asking alot but I think Bundy can be a #1.

Just now, dabirds said:

I hear you, but I hope not.  Bundy showed some really good stuff his first few starts.  Really hoping he can be something special.  I know with all the injuries it is asking alot but I think Bundy can be a #1.

Happy, Thrilled. 

1 minute ago, dabirds said:

Tillman is something. Just not a top 20 starter. 

1 hour ago, dabirds said:

Am I the only one that isn't sold on Tillman?   I don't think he is better than a #3, so I would offer him that kind of money.  Our real hopes are in Gausman and Bundy.  If they don't pan out we are in trouble.

I'm continuously amazed at how little respect Tillman gets here.  Since 2012 the guy is 65-33 with a 3.81 ERA.    There are only 16 pitchers in MLB who have won more games in that time.   Only 28 have thrown more innings.   If that's a no. 3 starter then you have very high standards.   

And I know, wins are meaningless,  yada yada.    I happen to like winning games.    When Tillman's on the mound, I like our chances.   

Archived