Brady would like to see Mancini get steady at bats this season

wildcard

46 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I continue to not see where Alvarez fits on this team. We have two LHH platoon outfielders right now in Kim and Smith that will need platoon partners. On top of that we need to carry a backup catcher and infielder (likely Joseph and Flaherty). As a result, we're left with two positions to be filled by the Kim and Smith platoon partners. I don't see where we have a spot on the bench for another platoon. I know DD is talking about another LHH, but I just cannot see where one fits unless that LHH is a full-time player and not a platoon bat like Alvarez...unless, you are of the opinion that Kim is that everyday player, but I don't get the sense that Buck agrees with that (Smith has clearly proven that he is not a good option against LHP). If we are to get another LHH, that player basically needs to be an everyday answer at RF or DH. 

I agree with most of what you've said here, and your point that two RH bats are definitely needed is clear, but there are three spots still unfilled, by my count, not two.  Yes, the Orioles will carry four bench players, and have two seemingly set in Flaherty and Joseph, but in addition to the two remaining bench spots, the DH spot in the starting nine isn't filled yet, either.  We seem set with ten position players, and will most probably carry thirteen. 

If, for example, the Orioles were to be able to sign Trumbo and Pagan, that last remaining spot could be filled by either a RH or a LH batter.  I agree that would still make signing Alvarez unlikely, since Trumbo would most likely DH when Smith was playing RF.  In that event, I could see either Bourn, Tavarez or Rickard as that 13th player, providing speed and late-inning defense in the outfield. 

If you don't sign Trumbo, Mancini would then make some sense, but would make signing another RH outfield bat almost imperative.  Who's still out there?  Francoeur, maybe?  Austin Jackson?  Marlon Byrd turns 39 in August and is on PED suspension until around June 1, so he seems out.  Coco Crisp was over-matched by LHP last year.  Another negative to all this in my mind is that Pagan's splits vs. LHP have not been all that great.  He's a switch-hitter, yes, but his strong side is when he's batting left-handed.  I haven't been a big fan of the possibility of trading Brach for Granderson, but we now seem to be boxed into a spot where such a trade becomes a reasonable solution.  It almost seems like either signing Trumbo or trading for Granderson would be the two primary options available to us, unless there is another trade possibility out there that we haven't talked much about.  Without one of these major moves, it would seem that our lineup will be noticeably weaker, especially vs. LHP.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I agree with most of what you've said here, and your point that two RH bats are definitely needed is clear, but there are three spots still unfilled, by my count, not two.  Yes, the Orioles will carry four bench players, and have two seemingly set in Flaherty and Joseph, but in addition to the two remaining bench spots, the DH spot in the starting nine isn't filled yet, either.  We seem set with ten position players, and will most probably carry thirteen. 

If, for example, the Orioles were to be able to sign Trumbo and Pagan, that last remaining spot could be filled by either a RH or a LH batter.  I agree that would still make signing Alvarez unlikely, since Trumbo would most likely DH when Smith was playing RF.  In that event, I could see either Bourn, Tavarez or Rickard as that 13th player, providing speed and late-inning defense in the outfield. 

If you don't sign Trumbo, Mancini would then make some sense, but would make signing another RH outfield bat almost imperative.  Who's still out there?  Francoeur, maybe?  Austin Jackson?  Marlon Byrd turns 39 in August and is on PED suspension until around June 1, so he seems out.  Coco Crisp was over-matched by LHP last year.  Another negative to all this in my mind is that Pagan's splits vs. LHP have not been all that great.  He's a switch-hitter, yes, but his strong side is when he's batting left-handed.  I haven't been a big fan of the possibility of trading Brach for Granderson, but we now seem to be boxed into a spot where such a trade becomes a reasonable solution.  It almost seems like either signing Trumbo or trading for Granderson would be the two primary options available to us, unless there is another trade possibility out there that we haven't talked much about.  Without one of these major moves, it would seem that our lineup will be noticeably weaker, especially vs. LHP.

Desmond Jennings is still available, I believe. He would fill that requirement pretty well.

10 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Desmond Jennings is still available, I believe. He would fill that requirement pretty well.

MLBTR says for good reason, his health and ability to be an everyday player.

Injuries have coincided with a rather notable decline in performance of late, and Jennings no longer profiles as the quality everyday player he once was. Between 2011 and 2014, he contributed nearly 2,000 plate appearances of .249/.327/.402 hitting while swatting 47 home runs and stealing 86 bases. In the two seasons since, Jennings owns a .222/.295/.347 batting line with eight long balls and seven swiped bags in only 333 turns at the plate.

10 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Well, you are correct in that he is available.  His .250 OBP and his .549 OPS vs. LHP last year would tend to make me question how well he would fill that spot, though.  We really have a weak lineup vs. LHP, and I'm not sure that I see Jennings as helping that.  Maybe the guy can rebound a bit, but I don't like the idea of hanging our hat on that happening.

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Well, you are correct in that he is available.  His .250 OBP and his .549 OPS vs. LHP last year would tend to make me question how well he would fill that spot, though.  We really have a weak lineup vs. LHP, and I'm not sure that I see Jennings as helping that.  Maybe the guy can rebound a bit, but I don't like the idea of hanging our hat on that happening.

only a 72 PA sample size from last season. For his career he owns a .778 OPS and 120 wRC+ against LHP.

18 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I'd be happy to see them go in this direction.  "Out opportunity" guy.  Give him and Mancini a chance with Kim toggling between LF and DH.  Let Mancini and Desmond's performance determine playing time against righties.  Straight platoon Smith and Rickard in right.

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Brady tends to talk up our players and focus on the positive, which is good considering his role in helping to train and condition these guys and get them into a positive state of mind.    But I don't hang on every word he says, because he can't be expected to discuss a player's weaknesses or limitations in detail when speaking with the press.  

Giving Mancini 400-500 plate appearances would be a calculated risk, and in 2017 he'd probably be a step down from Trumbo.    I still wouldn't mind taking that risk, so long as we add a guy like Pagan to bolster the defense and add some flexibility in who plays on a given night.    I'm on record as expecting a .750ish OPS from Mancini; maybe slightly lower in his rookie year.    

I'm glad that Brady is a positive guy but with a payroll so high and us so close to winning I just don't see us taking a huge risk with Mancini getting everyday AB's.  I've been a huge Mancini fan but he has tons to work on at AAA.  He's below average defensively at 1B.  He only OPS'd .775 in AAA last year.  Nothing wrong with making the guy earn a promotion.  

Mancini needs to have a good ST.  Improve his defense at 1B.  Put up numbers in AAA.  He'll get AB's throughout the year in the MLB if he does those things.  We shouldn't put all of our eggs in that basket though.  

5 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

only a 72 PA sample size from last season. For his career he owns a .778 OPS and 120 wRC+ against LHP.

Again, I don't agree that there is a lot of wisdom in hanging our hat on expecting him to rebound to what he was several years ago.

4 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Again, I don't agree that there is a lot of wisdom in hanging our hat on expecting him to rebound to what he was several years ago.

Sure, it's a flyer. We are only taking about a short side platoon outfielder, not a major piece. There will always be guys available who won't embarrass themselves.

2 hours ago, Babypowder said:

I don't see Alvarez as a fit, but I think Valbuena could be. He can hit and has defensive value at several positions. He could act as a sort of super sub and be DH insurance if Mancini doesn't produce.

That would be decent insurance.  It doesn't have to be Alvarez, but I think you do have to have some kind of insurance in case he flops (or gets hurt).

2 hours ago, Babypowder said:

I don't see Alvarez as a fit, but I think Valbuena could be. He can hit and has defensive value at several positions. He could act as a sort of super sub and be DH insurance if Mancini doesn't produce.

I think Valbuena is an excellent fit even for a two year deal, as he could play 3B next year with Manny sliding to short.

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

Sure, it's a flyer. We are only taking about a short side platoon outfielder, not a major piece. There will always be guys available who won't embarrass themselves.

It happens to be a pretty glaring weakness to our lineup right now.  Please remember that Boston has four LHP in their rotation.  Putting blinders on and minimizing the problem doesn't help.  We really need to improve our lineup vs. LHP, IMO, and I don't share your view that signing Desmond Jennings is what we need to do to fix that situation.  If you already had either Granderson or Trumbo, and also already had Pagan, sure, I suppose signing Jennings as your 13th position player would be OK, but, even then, I don't see how that would be an appreciable improvement over Bourn, Tavarez, or Rickard.  Hey, if the scouts and front office had some strong reason to believe that Jennings' problems are behind him and he is ready for a break-out, that would be a different story, but I'm not seeing anything to indicate that any MLB teams are looking at him in that way. 

7 minutes ago, esmd said:

That would be decent insurance.  It doesn't have to be Alvarez, but I think you do have to have some kind of insurance in case he flops (or gets hurt).

At this point I think the DH's are in play big time.  Especially if we're only valuing Trumbo as a DH.  What's the market for Alvarez and Carter?  1/6-8?  A one year deal for Pedro Alvarez is looking like a good option right now.  Plus it gives us long term flexibility.  Next year the following guys will/could be FA's:

Tillman 10mm

Ubaldo 13.5 

Miley 9

Kim 4.2

Castillo 6

Flaherty 1.8

45 million in flexibility.  Then the year after...  Ok now I'm depressed.  

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At this point I think the DH's are in play big time.  Especially if we're only valuing Trumbo as a DH.  What's the market for Alvarez and Carter?  1/6-8?  A one year deal for Pedro Alvarez is looking like a good option right now.  Plus it gives us long term flexibility.  Next year the following guys will/could be FA's:

Tillman 10mm

Ubaldo 13.5 

Miley 9

Kim 4.2

Castillo 6

Flaherty 1.8

45 million in flexibility.  Then the year after...  Ok now I'm depressed.  

I like Pedro, but are you convinced that either he or Kim can play everyday?  If you signed Pedro, that would have to happen.  We know Smith can't play vs. LHP.  With only two spots remaining on the roster after signing Pedro, and one being Smith's platoon partner, It would be impossible to platoon both Kim and Alvarez.  Pedro actually hit better vs. LHP in a SSS last season (.671 OPS vs. lifetime .606), but his history would tend to indicate that we got lucky there.  And we are talking .671, which isn't exactly fantastic, even if he can keep that up.  Kim?  Who knows?  I'm just not sure that I like the idea of depending on an unlikely possibility coming to pass in order to for the team to succeed.

Archived