Update

Belkast

End of the day, the Orioles don't need to be the Marlins and they shouldn't be the Marlins.

I think a MINIMUM of at least half the roster should be different by Aug 1.

Roberts, Millar, Tejada, Mora, Gibbons, Payton, Ramon, everyone in the bullpen, and Traschel should all go. Tejada, Traschel, and Payton definately need to go.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
End of the day, the Orioles don't need to be the Marlins and they shouldn't be the Marlins. The resources are there for us to do alot more than that. No need to wait 2-4 more years to be competitive. We can do that next year by buying and selling.

But much of our buying will have to be via FA in the offseason.

Unless we are dealing our future- our crap isn't going to buy much worth having.

Our big chips (Tejada, Bedard) would bring the most back in the form of talented prospects from contenders.

Cabrera and Ray might land a Teix. But, then who do we deal for the next stud worth buying ? We are out of ammo unless we start throwing guys like Olson or Reimold into the deals.

I think a MINIMUM of 50% of the roster being different by Aug 1 would confirm that McPhail really is calling the shots.

Surely, he knows this team needs a major overhaul.

Trade Bedard and Mora for Loney, Kershaw, Kemp and LaRoche. Trade Tejada for Adenhart and Wood. Send Loney and DCab to Texas for Tex.

That's buying and selling...

I won't trade Loney for Tex let along Cabrera with him. Tex should not be traded for unless the price is so low we don't give up anyone we could use.

Trade Bedard and Mora for Loney, Kershaw, Kemp and LaRoche. Trade Tejada for Adenhart and Wood. Send Loney and DCab to Texas for Tex.

That's buying and selling...

But it is a bad plan.

Do the trades you said, trade DCab and Ray for Crawford...Sign Tex after 2008.

Crawford

Tex

Wood

Loney

Kemp

LaRoche

Much rather have that than what you said.

But much of our buying will have to be via FA in the offseason.

Unless we are dealing our future- our crap isn't going to buy much worth having.

Our big chips (Tejada, Bedard) would bring the most back in the form of talented prospects from contenders.

Cabrera and Ray might land a Teix. But, then who do we deal for the next stud worth buying ? We are out of ammo unless we start throwing guys like Olson or Reimold into the deals.

I think a MINIMUM of 50% of the roster being different by Aug 1 would confirm that McPhail really is calling the shots.

Surely, he knows this team needs a major overhaul.

Guys like DCab and Ray can be used to get that established young chip.

The other guys can be used to get the prospects.

And, if you get enough prospects back, you can afford to trade one of our prospects if needed to net you a player.

End of the day, the Orioles don't need to be the Marlins and they shouldn't be the Marlins. The resources are there for us to do alot more than that. No need to wait 2-4 more years to be competitive. We can do that next year by buying and selling.

That might be a bit ambitious. I'd be happy with turnover of 1/3 of the roster by the deadline and half or more by Spring Training.

But it is a bad plan.

Do the trades you said, trade DCab and Ray for Crawford...Sign Tex after 2008.

Crawford

Tex

Wood

Loney

Kemp

LaRoche

Much rather have that than what you said.

I'd love to see Crawford in a Orioles uni but it's going to take more than DCab and Ray. I'm guessing the DRays would want Bedard or Loewen, Ray and one of Erbe or Beato if they were dealing him within the division. I see the Tex deal as being more realistic, especially if other teams raise the cost to get him.

I'd love to see Crawford in a Orioles uni but it's going to take more than DCab and Ray. I'm guessing the DRays would want Bedard or Loewen, Ray and one of Erbe or Beato if they were dealing him within the division. I see the Tex deal as being more realistic, especially if other teams raise the cost to get him.

The point is, there is no need to trade for young guys and then trade them and other young players for Tex...It doesn't help us.

Tex should be looked at as the final piece to the puzzle.

That might be a bit ambitious. I'd be happy with turnover of 1/3 of the roster by the deadline and half or more by Spring Training.

Well, let's face it, we could replace 3-6 players in the next 5 minutes.

Not all of what i meant(getting rid of half of this roster at least)would be done through trades. Getting rid of a guy like Bynum for Knott is an example.

Doubt we would get that much from the Dodgers. Colleti was on the radio the other day and said that he is looking for a bat. Then, he said the problem is a lot of the big bats that are on the market are having down years in terms of power numbers (Tejada), yet the teams are still asking for the world. I don't know if he was specifically talking about Tejada, but it sure sounded like he was the type of player of which he was speaking. He made it clear if that was the case, he would look from within the organization.

Doubt we would get that much from the Dodgers. Colleti was on the radio the other day and said that he is looking for a bat. Then, he said the problem is a lot of the big bats that are on the market are having down years in terms of power numbers (Tejada), yet the teams are still asking for the world. I don't know if he was specifically talking about Tejada, but it sure sounded like he was the type of player of which he was speaking. He made it clear if that was the case, he would look from within the organization.

The return would be for Bedard not Tejada. Bedard will definately net you more than Tejada. Mora's game has picked up a little so they can add him as well if he waives his no trade. I think we could get Kershaw, Loney and Kemp for Bedard. They'd be essentially trading Mora for LaRoche but since it's a package deal that extra bit of LaRoche is added to offset Bedard some more.

Just not sure the Dodgers are going to give up that much for a starter. That is their strength, even without Schmidt. He hasn't pitched much of the year and I believe they are still second in ERA. I would think they would be more desperate to get a bat.

Though Bedard is 28, I would be very reluctant to deal him. Even though the guy doesn't go deep enough into games, he is still not really replaceable. Just looking at this past year's free agents he is at least as good as if not better than Zito, Meche, Dice-K, and Lilly. You still have him cheap, though he will become more expensive. There just aren't enough guys of his caliber to justify dealing him. Plus, Bedard takes pressure off the rest of the starters by being the number one guy. If he were about to become a free agent, I would feel differently about this.

I also would tend to favor keeping Roberts. Though he is 30, he is still is worth his contract. I was a little disturbed by his comments recently, but overall still think he is a good guy who is a little frustrated. With the right mix of players, he would set a good example of hustle, baserunning, and working counts.

Everyone else I am fine with getting rid of with the one possible exception of Ramon. I keep Ramon if Mazzone thinks he is a good part of the reason for the improvement in the starters. Replace all of the old guys with young guys and see what happens.

Though Bedard is 28, I would be very reluctant to deal him. Even though the guy doesn't go deep enough into games, he is still not really replaceable. Just looking at this past year's free agents he is at least as good as if not better than Zito, Meche, Dice-K, and Lilly. You still have him cheap, though he will become more expensive. There just aren't enough guys of his caliber to justify dealing him. Plus, Bedard takes pressure off the rest of the starters by being the number one guy. If he were about to become a free agent, I would feel differently about this.

Look at it a different way. Look at what other talented pitchers brought back in return when they were traded and ask yourself if those teams are better off for having made the trade. Almost always the team that trades the pitcher comes out way ahead.

Archived