Adam Jones and Defense

weams

3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I really hope Mark Trumbo is not delusional enough to believe he's a good defender in the outfield. He's probably well aware he isn't. 

And Jones used his words pretty carefully.    It's not like he trashed his teammates.    And he also made it very clear he was happy to have Trumbo back.   

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

And Jones used his words pretty carefully.    It's not like he trashed his teammates.    And he also made it very clear he was happy to have Trumbo back.   

Agree. I've made it clear the only issue with Adams comments I have is that he hasn't specifically identified himself needing to improve. I was only pointing out that I don't think a guy like Mark Trumbo would take potential criticism of his defense that poorly. I'm sure he's heard it or read it before.

Maybe Adam knows that his days in CF are numbered.   Here's his comment on the downside of batting leadoff:

“I don’t know the lineup to be honest with you, so I’ll do it,” he said. “I don’t care. The only thing is we’re going to have to work out something with the league and get me some time to get to the batter’s box because I play center field and I’m big and I’m tired and that run is long.

“There’s got to be something that has to happen where I get like three minutes instead of two or whatever. I need three because I’m tired and that run is long and I’m big. I’m bigger than all the other center fielders. I’m tired. I’m older than all of them. Let me get my own wind.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/02/leftovers-for-breakfast-58.html

I'm sure he was joking somewhat, but perhaps he realizes on some level that he's not as young and fast as he used to be.

On 2/5/2017 at 0:07 PM, Frobby said:

I agree he used his words carefully - but the meaning was very clear. He basically bashed his fellow outfielders' defense and athleticism. And then hid behind mealy-mouthed equivocation. If you're going to slam a teammate, I'd rather just have him do it to my face, rather than float these innuendos out there in public, etc. 

It's not the end of the world, but I hope he doesn't make a habit. 

Never helpful when player 1 says teammate x does something poorly.

That said, I think Jones is speaking for a lot of the team in this instance and Jones will have support of the core guys.  DD said outfield defense is a priority this offseason, and DD has not delivered.  Jones is probably saying what Davis, Hardy, Tillman, Britton, O-Day, etc. are thinking.  Hell, Buck might be thinking the same thing too.

Pretty good discussion of Dan Duquette's and Buck Showalter's views of Adam Jones' defensive positioning in Roch's blog this afternoon:http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/02/duquette-and-showalter-discuss-jones-positioning-in-center-field.html

Also Buck said about last year's outfield defense: "A lot of that had to do just with ability as opposed to positioning."    So basically, what Adam said.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pretty good discussion of Dan Duquette's and Buck Showalter's views of Adam Jones' defensive positioning in Roch's blog this afternoon:http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/02/duquette-and-showalter-discuss-jones-positioning-in-center-field.html

Also Buck said about last year's outfield defense: "A lot of that had to do just with ability as opposed to positioning."    So basically, what Adam said.

Dan's a smooth one.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He is frightened by Kim. 

On 2/3/2017 at 7:11 AM, weams said:

Most of you have probably seen this little video featuring the lovable little guy, Mo.  Even if ya have seen this, it's worth another look.  Ya just want to hug this neat little kid. Anyway, listen to Adam's response when Mo asks him if he's glad Trumbo's back in town.

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/bal/video/topic/7997010/v1221481283/os-fanfest-mos-os-report/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU

• 2 weeks later...

“[Bourn and Gentry] are two guys who have great track records of catching the ball,” Jones said. “I’m thrilled to have them in camp, but what you have to understand is that the everyday players are probably going to be (Mark) Trumbo and (Hyun Soo) Kim or Seth (Smith) and Kim.

“You see that they’re here so that means that the team is, not necessarily listening to me, but they’ve been watching the game. It’s reality. You watch the game and you see what we’re lacking. And it’s not any jabs against any other person. It just is what it is. Some people just excel at different things. For us to be a very contending team and to get out of that first round and past that wild card, we need to improve."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/02/pitching-updates-bourns-arrival-and-more.html

Adam is keeping it real.  But there is no use in harping on it.  

Unfortunately guys who can hit enough to play corner outfield and also provide plus defense are rare and expensive.  

I've always maintained that trading for a young center fielder and moving Adam to right is the best way to improve the defense.  

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Adam is keeping it real.  But there is no use in harping on it.  

Unfortunately guys who can hit enough to play corner outfield and also provide plus defense are rare and expensive.  

I've always maintained that trading for a young center fielder and moving Adam to right is the best way to improve the defense.  

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but who would we get to play CF?

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

None of what he says is inaccurate.

Thing is, there just wasn't a great market for defensive-minded outfielders that still hit well enough to play everyday. Dexter Fowler was essentially it, and he was both expensive, and severely unlikely to even be considered by the O's, given what he did last year.

Josh Reddick, maybe? But he came at a cost. Ben Revere was out there, but he fell off the planet in 2016.

There's a reason Adam Eaton cost the Nats so much.

17 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but who would we get to play CF?

Mallex Smith was traded from Atlanta to Seattle and fits the bill.  I couldn't tell you who else was available.  If we were more aggressive in trading some assets from the major league team where we have an excess of talent (like the bullpen) that kind of trade could be possible.  

Jarrod Dyson was out there as well.  He's a plus, plus outfielder and would have fit well in center.  He averages about 3 DWAR over a full season.  

Archived