Should We Trade Jones?

ELMERO

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Trumbo and Jones are in different positions on the team.  Jones is a long term player.  A team leader. Someone who has helped turn the team into a winner.  Someone who lobbied the owner to re-sign Davis, and his request actually happened.

Trumbo as been here a year and is known as a quiet slugger, not a team clubhouse leader.

So when Jones points out that he needs help in the outfield from players with more range, that point of view carries more weight than comments from Trumbo.

Jones has shined a light on an area he believes needs attention for the O's to be a World Series team.  Now we will see what management does about it.

I do think Jones and Trumbo have different positions in the team hierarchy and different personalities.    The fact that Jones said what he said didn't surprise me, and I'd be very surprised if Trumbo said something along the lines of what I wrote, even though it's equally true.   But my point was simply that questioning the wisdom of Jones' remarks, or what impact it might have on the team, is not inherently racist.  

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do think Jones and Trumbo have different positions in the team hierarchy and different personalities.    The fact that Jones said what he said didn't surprise me, and I'd be very surprised if Trumbo said something along the lines of what I wrote, even though it's equally true.   But my point was simply that questioning the wisdom of Jones' remarks, or what impact it might have on the team, is not inherently racist.  

The racist comment is unfounded.   This team has many races on it and everyone gets along as well as I have ever seen.

I actually think that Jones comments were wise.   It pushes the O's to do something about a major problem on the team.   How many times have we  seen Dan say that he wanted to address a need over the winter only to see it not happen and fade into the background.   Jones comments keep the focus on improving the outfield defense.

Many here have Smith and Kim cemented into the starting positions in the corner outfield spots.  I never have.   I agreed with what Jones said long before he said it.    There are ways to address it.   Let see what Dan does before opening day.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

The racist comment is unfounded.   This team has many races on it and everyone gets along as well as I have ever seen.

I actually think that Jones comments were wise.   It pushes the O's to do something about a major problem on the team.   How many times have we  seen Dan say that he wanted to address a need over the winter only to see it not happen and fade into the background.   Jones comments keep the focus on improving the outfield defense.

Many here have Smith and Kim cemented into the starting positions in the corner outfield spots.  I never have.   I agreed with what Jones said long before he said it.    There are ways to address it.   Let see what Dan does before opening day.

Care to share your ideas?  Because I don't see a ready fix.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Jones' comments will cause Dan to do anything he wouldn't have done anyway.    The OF defense issue is obvious to anyone with eyes, and Dan will either find a good way to address it or he won't.   

5 hours ago, ELMERO said:

Openly expressing his true feelings has appeared to create a negative effect, in general, thus making it appear he has become  somewhat of a "malcontent".  We certainly can't have tension in the clubhouse.  I don't think he's the fun guy, leader anymore.  I think it hurts him that Machado, Schoop and Trumbo have emerged as more popular with the fans.  Hate to think that of the guy who has meant so much to this franchise.  Maybe he needs a change of scenery.  Maybe it's time to part ways with him, but to whom and for what?  Maybe Granderson, Wilmer Flores and one of their young arms, to be groomed as starter at Norfolk for next year?  Any other ideas?

What universe are you living in where any of these things are happening? Jones made comments about how the O's need better outfield defense. Period. The end.

How you made the leap to "Jones is a clubhouse malcontent and can't handle other players' popularity" is mind-boggling. This seems like the kind of comment that would pop up from someone's uninformed uncle on Facebook.

Also, what universe are you living in where Mark Trumbo is more popular with the fans than Adam Jones is?

Should we trade ELMERO? Openly expressing his true feelings about Adam Jones has appeared to create a negative effect, in general, thus making it appear he has become somewhat of a "malcontent". We certainly can't have tension on the message board. Maybe he needs a change of scenery.  Maybe it's time to part ways with him, but to whom and for what? Any other ideas?

Just now, Sanfran327 said:

Should we trade ELMERO? Openly expressing his true feelings about Adam Jones has appeared to create a negative effect, in general, thus making it appear he has become somewhat of a "malcontent". We certainly can't have tension on the message board. Maybe he needs a change of scenery.  Maybe it's time to part ways with him, but to whom and for what? Any other ideas?

I think we need to do a complete rebuild of the board.   Trade anyone not nailed down for some 15-year old posters who show promise for the future.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I think we need to do a complete rebuild of the board.   Trade anyone not nailed down for some 15-year old posters who show promise for the future.  

LOL. I knew my time here would come to an end eventually. Quick, someone start the Sanfran327 Appreciation Thread!

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Care to share your ideas?  Because I don't see a ready fix.

I have share them many times.

1) Give Rickard every opportunity to win a corner outfield spot and leadoff hitter.

2) Take a long look at Tavarez to see how much playing time he can get at one of the corners.  Not saying he could start but he could offer more range in certain situations.

3) Trade Mancini in a package for a young, speedy outfielder.  This is something that will develop as teams see what Mancini can do in ST,  what Dan and Buck see from Rickard and what other teams have to offer.  

Is Colorado happy with Parra in left or do they need to move Desmond there.   Is Mancini attractive to many?  Would they trade Tapia?

Are the Phillies happy with Tommy Joseph's 989 fielding percentage at 1B or do they think that Mancini .995 fielding fielding percentage would save a lot of runs.  Would they trade Roman Quinn?

There are probably several others that would be as good or better to acquire.

If the O's do acquire another outfielder they probably don't need both Kim and Smith.  One can be traded.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Are the Phillies happy with Tommy Joseph's 989 fielding percentage at 1B or do they think that Mancini .995 fielding fielding percentage would save a lot of runs.  Would they trade Roman Quinn?

Fielding percentage, really? You know Ruben Amaro doesn't run the Phillies anymore.

5 hours ago, ELMERO said:

Openly expressing his true feelings has appeared to create a negative effect, in general, thus making it appear he has become  somewhat of a "malcontent".  We certainly can't have tension in the clubhouse.  I don't think he's the fun guy, leader anymore.  I think it hurts him that Machado, Schoop and Trumbo have emerged as more popular with the fans.  Hate to think that of the guy who has meant so much to this franchise.  Maybe he needs a change of scenery.  Maybe it's time to part ways with him, but to whom and for what?  Maybe Granderson, Wilmer Flores and one of their young arms, to be groomed as starter at Norfolk for next year?  Any other ideas?

I think Jones is more valuable to us then what he would return in a trade. JMHO Package Mancini for a good young outfielder.

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't think Jones' comments will cause Dan to do anything he wouldn't have done anyway.    The OF defense issue is obvious to anyone with eyes, and Dan will either find a good way to address it or he won't.   

I don't know.   Dan has been messing with he outfield for quite a while.   Adam adding focus doesn't hurt IMO.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have share them many times.

1) Give Rickard every opportunity to win a corner outfield spot and leadoff hitter.

2) Take a long look at Tavarez to see how much playing time he can get at one of the corners.  Not saying he could start but he could offer more range in certain situations.

3) Trade Mancini in a package for a young, speedy outfielder.  This is something that will develop as teams see what Mancini can do in ST,  what Dan and Buck see from Rickard and what other teams have to offer.  

Is Colorado happy with Parra in left or do they need to move Desmond there.   Is Mancini attractive to many?  Would they trade Tapia?

There are probably several others that would be as good or better to acquire.

If the O's do acquire another outfielder they probably don't need both Kim and Smith.  One can be traded.

Parra is on the outside looking in.  Their OF is Diehl, Blackmon, and Gonzalez (unless one got traded and I overlooked it).

Archived