Tillman is Back

backwardsk

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is Tillman back with the team?  Or did we do the cool thing and just activate him because we had to, and with the ASB coming up let him stay with his newborn?  

Yes, he's back with the team. He was in the bullpen yesterday and will be today.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm not negative. I'm realistic. His pitching has been a drag on this club and whether he finds himself in the second half is irrelevant. He's going to walk after this season. Move him now to a contender. There are enough teams out there that will roll the dice. We might even get a halfway decent prospect in return.

This doesn't make sense to me. Everyone knows our SPing has been terrible and that Tillman (and Ubaldo) keep getting starts because there are no there are no good options. Wouldn't making Tillman available be like putting a sign on him that says, "We are absolutely desperate for starting pitching, but not desperate enough to want to use this guy"? Who would give up anything for Tillman in that circumstance? Who would even want to give him a roster spot?

19 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm not negative. I'm realistic. His pitching has been a drag on this club and whether he finds himself in the second half is irrelevant. He's going to walk after this season. Move him now to a contender. There are enough teams out there that will roll the dice. We might even get a halfway decent prospect in return.

You can't say "I'm realistic" and "the Orioles can trade Tillman to a contender" in the same paragraph.

Just now, birdwatcher55 said:

Sure you can. SP is always at a premium. Someone always gets crazy at deadline.

Good SP is at a premium. Tillman has a 7.90 ERA, a 2.143 WHIP and looks like a shell of his former self. He's also making $10 million. Of pitchers with at least 40 IP this year, he has the third-worst ERA, better only than Bartolo Colon (who got DFA'd) and Tom Koehler (who got sent to the minors).

Tillman has zero trade value. In fact, I'd say he has negative trade value -- the Orioles would have to package him with a prospect to get a team to take him off their hands. Similar to how the Orioles sold off their draft picks to get teams to take Matusz and Webb's contracts, except Tillman is making far more money than those guys did.

3 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm going on the assumption that we will be sellers in this scenario. I firmly believe someone will roll the dice with Tillman.

I hope you're right, but I'm inclined to agree with the next post's assessment that Tillman has zero trade value. I can see someone rolling the dice on Tillman in spring training. But if you're fighting for a playoff spot, why would you want to give him starts if you had any other options at all? (I'm assuming everyone but the Orioles has some options, even if they're not all that appealing.)

3 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Let's see what he does, if anything, after the break. If he goes out and tosses 6 shutout innings, that could change a lot of tunes.

That's true. If Tillman does pitch a few decent games, we'll definitely keep him and will probably sign him to a multi-year contract. xD  

o

18 OUTS: 8 Groundouts, 5 Flyouts, 3 Strikeouts, 1 Lineout, 1 Out Stretching a Double

CHRISTOPHER STEVETILLMAN )))))) (vs. RANGERS, 7/17)

IP:llllllll 6

H:llllllllllll )(1 Double,Single) ll

R:llllllllll  1

BB:lllllll 4

SO:lllll ll3

Pitches: l)  95 )(52 )Strikes, )43 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l) 7.20

2017 WHIP: l) 2.018  )  55.00 Innings  (111 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .342  )   81 for 237

PITCHES BY INNING

15 ll(81 llStrikeslll 71  llBalls)

14 lll(81 llStrikesll 61  llBalls)

19 lll(91 llStrikesl 10  lllBalls)

19 lll(11 llStrikeslll 81  llBalls)

17 lll(81 llStrikeslll 91  llBalls)

11 llll(81 llStrikeslll 31  llBalls)

o

Just now, Frobby said:

I'm so happy for Tillman.    That game was a long time in coming.    First time all year he's gone 6+ IP and allowed 2 runs or less.   

Hopefully 4 more games just like this and he will have his ERA under 6. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm so happy for Tillman. That game was a long time in coming. It was the first time all year that he's gone 6+ IP and allowed 2 runs or less.  

o

He was pitching on 16 days' rest.

I think we're onto something.

o

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm so happy for Tillman. That game was a long time in coming. It was the first time all year that he's gone 6+ IP and allowed 2 runs or less.   

3 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

He was pitching on 16 days' rest.

I think we're onto something.

o

3 minutes ago, survivedc said:

He had decent results in the game against the Rays, as well.

o

He was better tonight.

I think that the Orioles should go with the 16 days' rest plan for him from here on out.

o

Idk, after three innings and into the 4th Big Ben was talking about his strikes to balls ratio (50%) and how it's much more difficult to have success when you can't consistently throw first pitch strikes.

I think he was very fortunate to only give up a run. FB command is still an issue, but he's getting there slowly.

Archived