Tillman is Back

backwardsk

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Snutchy said:

How do they have to describe the experience to make it sound more positive than they already did?

If only they would have said the ball looked good coming out of his hand.

20 hours ago, SteveA said:

Ball coming out of his hand is SO 2016.

This year it's all about "presentation".

ALL about presentation. Buck talking about Caleb Joseph:

“He’s a pretty good catcher. He can really call a game and really present a pitch. We don’t call it ‘framing’ anymore, we call it ‘presenting a pitch.’ “

:)

14 hours ago, scOtt said:

“He’s a pretty good catcher. He can really call a game and really present a pitch. We don’t call it ‘framing’ anymore, we call it ‘presenting a pitch.’ “

Are we saying "the optics on that pitch look good"?  And how many fans will be heckling bad ball/strike calla this year by yelling "alternative facts!"

I still think they give Tillman some time and we see Gausman on opening day.  No need to rush him and this organization understands opening day is just another game of 162.  They won't rush their "Ace" just because it's the first game of the season.

Thank goodness Buck is around to make sure the terminology is right.

I guess Buck likes the way the ball comes into his hand.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I still think they give Tillman some time and we see Gausman on opening day.  No need to rush him and this organization understands opening day is just another game of 162.  They won't rush their "Ace" just because it's the first game of the season.

I agree 100%.    Buck has said nothing to suggest the timetable has been moved up.    I'm glad Tillman is feeling better and look forward to seeing him on the mound in a competitive game towards the end of next week.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I would rather see Gausman pitch on opening day even if Tillman was 100%. He had a great year last year, and beat Tillman on just about every metric other than wins. More K's, fewer walks, lower ERA, ERA+, and FIP. Did give up more hits and HR--largely due to mistake pitches on his breaking stuff. Still, I think he is the better pitcher right now even setting aside health.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I would rather see Gausman pitch on opening day even if Tillman was 100%. He had a great year last year, and beat Tillman on just about every metric other than wins. More K's, fewer walks, lower ERA, ERA+, and FIP. Did give up more hits and HR--largely due to mistake pitches on his breaking stuff. Still, I think he is the better pitcher right now even setting aside health.

Perhaps. But there's not enough of a difference between the two to determine that one is the staff "ace" over the other. And, as Buck has noted, after the first week of the season it really doesn't matter who pitched when. So, if both are healthy, I suspect Buck would go with Tillman sheerly out of seniority.

19 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Perhaps. But there's not enough of a difference between the two to determine that one is the staff "ace" over the other. And, as Buck has noted, after the first week of the season it really doesn't matter who pitched when. So, if both are healthy, I suspect Buck would go with Tillman sheerly out of seniority.

If Tillman had started spring training healthy, I would have expected him to be the OD starter based on seniority, long-term track record and a very solid 2016, even if you could argue that Gausman had a better year and is the better bet going forward.   Tillman is a team leader and Gausman isn't that yet.

However, Tillman wasn't healthy at the start of the spring, and there's zero reason to rush him just so he can make an OD start.     Gausman it is.    

Archived