Three Orioles Make MLBN Top 100 List for 2017

BohKnowsBmore

18 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

In the actual episodes, the hosts talked several times about Adam Jones, Mark Trumbo, and Felix Hernandez as being the top three "snubs." In fact at one point the leader of the MLB Network stats team (which created the list) came on for a short interview and spent some of that time arguing against the idea that the Orioles as a team were being undervalued. It was a bit awkward. 

For just 2017, I'd happily take Jones and Trumbo over several of the players that made the list. But I agree that they are borderline cases for a Top 100. 

I had the chance to watch some of the episodes and Bill Ripken took a stance I really liked.  He wasn't "anti-SABR" or anything, but he just stated that these sorts of things have underrated the Os and their players for the last several years and apparently continue to.

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

8 Red Sox made the top 100.  Porcello at 95, Hanley Ramirez at 79, Jackie Bradley at 73, Pedroia at 55, Price at 50, Bogaerts at 44, Sale at 30, and Betts at 8.  It's hard for me to argue with any of them other than Ramirez.  It just shows the huge talent gap between the O's and Red Sox.

No wonder they beat us by 30 games last year.    Oh wait, they didn't?

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They did, and I'd say the odds are in their favor to beat us again this year.    But I don't think the gap will be as big as that top 100 list implies.    

I think they have significantly more high end talent than the O's do and I think the list pretty accurately reflects that.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think they have significantly more high end talent than the O's do and I think the list pretty accurately reflects that.

I'm not really arguing against that.    I'm just saying the W-L record isn't always decided by counting up the high end talent guys.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

More like never is.

It just seemed to me that you were trying to argue away the talent gap.  A least a little.

If my post implied that, I take it back.  

I do think that losing Ortiz hurts their offense, and that they had a few guys have offensive years last year that they may not be able to repeat.    The addition of Sale helps, and if Benintendi lives up to his hype, they could be better than last year overall, but it's not a sure thing.    I say, play the games.

Archived