NO Girardi

deuce

I have been watching ESPN news since this was posted. Besides a line in the crawl bar, there has been NO mention of this story. I'm starting to think it's another snafu from ESPN. What happens if Girardi, turned down an INITIAL offer? Either way, oh well. Like I've said, we actually have a few GOOD managers with major league experience, who WANT the job. We also have an interim manager, who seems pretty damn good as well.

It's now up on their website too...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2911691&name=FPT-2911691-062112&srvc=sz

I have no idea if I did that right so I am so sorry. It is now reported.

I think it is too bad, but now we should let Dave Trembly have his shot and let MacPhail restucture the organization. I can hope one of two things happens now:

MacPhail pulls off some trades, gets some pieces that we need and the position becomes more attractive to managerial candidates, or dave Trembly proves to be great and instead of hiring the former N.L Manager of the year, it would be awesome to have the 2008 A.L. MoY!

good Luck to JG wherever he lands. He will get an opportunity and I hope he is happy there.

Perhaps Girardi did not completely buy-in to the fact that Angelos is completely ceding control of the operations to MacPhail?

Somebody is going to ask Girardi soon why he didn't take the job. He may cop out and say something like it wasn't right for me and my family, but hopefully he provides some real insight into why he didn't take the job.

I'm sure a lot of folks recommended to Girardi that he turn the Orioles down. I don't think it is such a big loss. MacPhail was a much more important hire.

Bring on Davey Johnson. Belkast, or other insiders, is he where the focus will go now?

A lot of people will say that Davey Johnson is too old, or that he hasn't managed in too long, or that he won't come in and rebuild a team.

But I want a manager that wants to be here. Here are Davey's quotes from Monday-

"It's no secret that I love Baltimore and I didn't accomplish what I wanted to accomplish there," Johnson said yesterday. "There is no secret about that. As far as them asking me back, it's real premature. It's always that way with you guys. You guys are always 10 miles ahead of everyone else, or at least think you are. ... I like to deal more in reality than in what if. That is how I operate."

"I like challenges," he said. "The one thing that I don't like is seeing the great town of Baltimore not have a good team. That's where I learned to play the game and I was fortunate enough to go back there and manage. I am just like other Baltimore fans that want their city to have a good team."

For those who will say he has been out of the game too long or who think he's too old, I give you Jim Leyland for comparison:

Leyland is 63, Davey Johnson is 64.

Leyland last coached in 1999 before taking the Tigers job in 2006.

Davey last coached in 2000, so it would also be 7 years since he was last managing.

The Tigers were coming off of 12 straight losing seasons (including 43-119 in '03, 72-90 in '04 and 71-91 in '05).

The Orioles are on the verge of a 10th straight losing season.

I'm not saying DJ could turn the Orioles into a World Series team next year, but I'd love to have a guy from outside the organization who can come in with fresh eyes and reassess what is going on with the Orioles and help Andy MacPhail take the proper steps to bring the Orioles back to prominence.

Personally, I could care less. I think some have put too much emphasis on the role of the manager after the last couple of days. If we would've put together a better team in the offseason, I don't think we would be talking about this at all. If Trembley can hold this team accountable then let him finish the season and lets worry about it next year.

I'm way behind because im in los angeles watching a rerun of espn's 1st take- but Buster Olney just said that the Orioles had "agreed to agree" with girardi and a deal could be done within the morning??? Obviously his agents remarks came after that- but I honestly wouldnt be sirprised if it wasnt just the actions of an overzealous manager protecting his client (or thinking he was doing so)- or a low ball tactic to get him more money BEFORE signing on. I guess we'll see, but I the same think it's funny how quick everyone was to annoint this guy the next great manager. He had one lousy year managing. It was a very promising year, but as someone pointed out- they are still on the rise in Florida.

It's almost like a player batting .277 with 15 homeruns and 85 rbis- being looked to as the next great thing!

this does surprise me though. his quotes seemed to indicate that it was only a matter of time. belkast and others had the same thoughts.

i shudder o think that ppl bombarded him with negative comments about the team. thats how we lose free agents, too

Archived