NEW TO OH

btkidd01

Ladies and Gentleman, I just want to say hello from an undisclosed location in the hell that we call the sand box. As another baseball season is upon us, I sit at this computer once again getting all the Orioles information that I can from this very website and forum. Thank you all for all that you guys provide. Hoping ill get to watch a few more games this year than I have in past years. I have a couple questions that I was hoping someone on here could answer. I don't have a ton of time to go through all of the posts to see you if guys have already discussed this previously or not, so if asked already, my apologies. Here goes, 1. Why is it that the orioles never seem to bring in, or at the very least, try to bring in any of these young talented international players that everyone else seems to. I know last year we brought in Kim, and everyone has mixed opinions on him. Our money situation is obviously not great. But it seems like we don't even send anyone to scout them. At least I never read about it. For instance, the Cardinals just signed Jose Garcia to a minor league deal, with a 2.5 million bonus. Is this not something the Orioles can afford? Are we not sending scouts to see these guys? Or are we just looking at immediate help and aren't considering if they will have to be in the minors for a bit first? He's an outfielder. He gets on base. Has some pop. Runs good. Seems like he would have fit will. Now to my second, Do we have any scouts looking at Luis Robert. Scouts are all over this guy. He will require a heftier price no doubt. I guess im just curious as to why or how we miss out on these type players as often as we do. Is it JUST because money, or are our international scouts all on vacation? Thanks in advance

25 minutes ago, btkidd01 said:

Ladies and Gentleman, I just want to say hello from an undisclosed location in the hell that we call the sand box. As another baseball season is upon us, I sit at this computer once again getting all the Orioles information that I can from this very website and forum. Thank you all for all that you guys provide. Hoping ill get to watch a few more games this year than I have in past years. I have a couple questions that I was hoping someone on here could answer. I don't have a ton of time to go through all of the posts to see you if guys have already discussed this previously or not, so if asked already, my apologies. Here goes, 1. Why is it that the orioles never seem to bring in, or at the very least, try to bring in any of these young talented international players that everyone else seems to. I know last year we brought in Kim, and everyone has mixed opinions on him. Our money situation is obviously not great. But it seems like we don't even send anyone to scout them. At least I never read about it. For instance, the Cardinals just signed Jose Garcia to a minor league deal, with a 2.5 million bonus. Is this not something the Orioles can afford? Are we not sending scouts to see these guys? Or are we just looking at immediate help and aren't considering if they will have to be in the minors for a bit first? He's an outfielder. He gets on base. Has some pop. Runs good. Seems like he would have fit will. Now to my second, Do we have any scouts looking at Luis Robert. Scouts are all over this guy. He will require a heftier price no doubt. I guess im just curious as to why or how we miss out on these type players as often as we do. Is it JUST because money, or are our international scouts all on vacation? Thanks in advance

Welcome.  This is a good place to get all your information on the Os. But not a good place to make much change with the ownership's approach. I wish that we could give you an answer that makes sense. Other than. The Orioles are a small market team, playing with a large market payroll. Not a top payroll. But a big one. I think the front office is quite please with how they have played their hand dealt. 

You'll find quite a few people here to share your views.

Thank you for your service. 

30 minutes ago, btkidd01 said:

Also, as a side note, the Cardinals have lost their draft this season. So they are trying to do something to make up for that. 

Thank you very much sir. I appreciate that. I understand not wanting to pay big for unproven players. And even not wanting to add to payroll. With that being said, we are talking about taking chances. And haven't they done that in the past. Davis big contract. Ubaldo any contract at all. Taking Gallardo and losing a pick and then trading him away a season later. With the new CBA, do you think the international mentality changes at all?

5 minutes ago, btkidd01 said:

Thank you very much sir. I appreciate that. I understand not wanting to pay big for unproven players. And even not wanting to add to payroll. With that being said, we are talking about taking chances. And haven't they done that in the past. Davis big contract. Ubaldo any contract at all. Taking Gallardo and losing a pick and then trading him away a season later. With the new CBA, do you think the international mentality changes at all?

Any change that lessens what other teams can spend will help the O's.

2 hours ago, weams said:

Welcome.  This is a good place to get all your information on the Os. But not a good place to make much change with the ownership's approach. I wish that we could give you an answer that makes sense. Other than. The Orioles are a small market team, playing with a large market payroll. Not a top payroll. But a big one. I think the front office is quite please with how they have played their hand dealt. 

You'll find quite a few people here to share your views.

Thank you for your service. 

This, especially the bolded part.

Welcome to the board!  Thank you for your service!  As others have said, ownership has not been a fan of international market signings.  The one that I remember wishing we had gone in for was Miguel Sano who was signed at 17 by the Twins at a little over 3 million signing bonus.  We were rumored to be interested but no way they were going to spend 3 million in that market at that time. 

I think your question about Manny is the key to Oriole teams success over the next 5-10 years.  We either go all in to sign which is increasingly hard to see or the big question is when do you trade him because the return will need to be outstanding for us not to slide backwards.

I have learned very much from the posters here and I hope it is a positive experience for you too. 

10 hours ago, btkidd01 said:

Plus, and correct me if im wrong here, but ubaldo and hardy will be free agents after this season correct? does anyone think they will hold on to that money, give it to machado? or try again at free agency

U is definitely gone after this year. End of contract.

Hardy has a vesting option for 2018. From Cot's...

2018 option is guaranteed if Hardy 1) has 600 plate appearances in 2017 or 1,150 PAs in 2016-17 combined and 2) passes physical after 2017 season

Archived