Jim Henneman: Duquette-Jones Akin To Weaver-Blair

PressBoxOnline

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Blair played shallow, but was the best at going back on balls that I've ever seen.    Based on the numbers, it would be hard to argue with his positioning.   The numbers don't back Jones in the same way.   

Maybe because he's not as good?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Blair played shallow, but was the best at going back on balls that I've ever seen.    Based on the numbers, it would be hard to argue with his positioning.   The numbers don't back Jones in the same way.   

Blair covered far more territory than Adam. Blair was like Devon White--very smooth and just glided to the ball. Adam is fine, but should be shifted to the corner asap if possible. 

2 hours ago, pastorfan said:

Blair covered far more territory than Adam. Blair was like Devon White--very smooth and just glided to the ball. Adam is fine, but should be shifted to the corner asap if possible. 

Although a switch to the corner might be more ideal, I think Adam can probably handle Cf for a couple more years. He was rated pretty well as recently as 2015. Adjusted positioning seems like it would certainly help. 

2 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Although a switch to the corner might be more ideal, I think Adam can probably handle Cf for a couple more years. He was rated pretty well as recently as 2015. Adjusted positioning seems like it would certainly help. 

I think so too.  He's better than I originally thought he would be.  That being said, he was never going to be as good as Blair and he's not going to get closer as he ages.  IMO the next big test for AJ is how he handles the inevitable decline in his skills.

I think so too.  He's better than I originally thought he would be.  That being said, he was never going to be as good as Blair and he's not going to get closer as he ages.  IMO the next big test for AJ is how he handles the inevitable decline in his skills.

And we know he'll probably be the Cf for the next two years regardless of any hand-wringing by groups of fans. It's possible that the O's trade for a new Cf sometime in the next year and a half, pushing Adam to a corner, or it's also possible that he adapts and is able to remain a Cf until he's 35 or so. It wouldn't be unprecedented.

But my prediction is that he's serviceable Cf in 2017 and 2018 who continues to make highlight plays but also has less than great range. Then beyond that he'll be 33 and it's very possible he'll have to move to a corner for his next contract, whether it's in Baltimore or elsewhere. 

Archived