The Cutter is Back!

Il BuonO

7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Cutter/slider hybrid, but Bundy says you can call it a cutter.

Any reports on his velocity today?

Talk amongst yourselves....

I read maybe on Roch's blog that he was 90 - 92 in the first inning and hit 94 in the 2nd. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Everything I heard last year was that it was Bundy's decision to shelf the pitch after having elbow discomfort in the AFL.

That's fine.  Hopefully his arm strength is fine and he can throw it without elbow discomfort now.

I'm not saying 2017 hinges on him, but he's gotta play a big part if this team is going to be any good.  Obviously his health is first and foremost but if Bundy can somehow win us 15 games and be consistent almost every time out, I like our chances. 

Buck sound leery. From Roch:

“Good first day,” Showalter said. “He felt good. Threw some sliders. It was a good starting point for him.”

Bundy decided to call the pitch “a cutter.” Showalter went with “a small slider.”

As long as he keeps the depth with it,” Showalter said. “Guys get in trouble with the cutter when it’s too much lateral.”

Bundy had stopped throwing it to ease the strain on his right forearm and elbow.

We’ll see if he keeps it in the repertoire,” Showalter said.

Asked whether he has some apprehension, Showalter replied, “A little bit, a little bit. I was going to let him do it a little bit and talk to him. In fact, this might be a good time. Tomorrow or the next day.

“It’s something he’s always had, but he took it out last year to be on the safe side. He had a little discomfort in his forearm and he thought that was it. He wasn’t throwing it properly. A little too much movement instead of throwing through the ball. Roger (McDowell) is aware of it. We’ve talked about it. He feels real good physically.”

12 hours ago, scOtt said:

Buck sound leery. From Roch:

“Good first day,” Showalter said. “He felt good. Threw some sliders. It was a good starting point for him.”

Bundy decided to call the pitch “a cutter.” Showalter went with “a small slider.”

As long as he keeps the depth with it,” Showalter said. “Guys get in trouble with the cutter when it’s too much lateral.”

Bundy had stopped throwing it to ease the strain on his right forearm and elbow.

We’ll see if he keeps it in the repertoire,” Showalter said.

Asked whether he has some apprehension, Showalter replied, “A little bit, a little bit. I was going to let him do it a little bit and talk to him. In fact, this might be a good time. Tomorrow or the next day.

“It’s something he’s always had, but he took it out last year to be on the safe side. He had a little discomfort in his forearm and he thought that was it. He wasn’t throwing it properly. A little too much movement instead of throwing through the ball. Roger (McDowell) is aware of it. We’ve talked about it. He feels real good physically.”

Bundy has always thrown the "baby slider" variant of the cutter.  Buck called it a slider when Bundy threw it in 2012.

33 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

So this was considered to be Bundy's best pitch and now we don't even know if it's a cutter or a slider?  And Buck says we'll have to see if he works it into his repertoire? 

Sorry but this is odd to me.  Did he somehow lose this pitch? 

Not sure why this needs to be explained every few months.

There are TWO types of pitches that are termed cutters.  One of them is termed the "baby slider" due to the movement.  This is what Bundy throws, it is always what Bundy has thrown.

My guess is that Buck is trying to temper expectations.

Archived