Dylan Bundy 2017

Frobby

26 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2017/05/11/klawchat-51117/

This is from his website chat earlier today.

Yesterday.    There was a link in the Bundy thread to this.   As I said there, I think a lot of posters agree with some or all of what Law said, but as usual his degree of certainty and "smartest guy in the room" tone is off-putting.  

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

Yesterday.    There was a link in the Bundy thread to this.   As I said there, I think a lot of posters agree with some or all of what Law said, but as usual his degree of certainly and "smartest guy in the room" tone is off-putting.  

I'm still irked he hasn't stepped back from his "Bundy is a reliever now and he isn't in my Top 10 Oriole Prospects.".

What a blatant attention getting move that was.

The idea that Buck, who is universally lauded for protecting the arms in his bullpen, is somehow clueless and unknowingly (or worse knowingly) burning out Bundy is laughable.

Buck was quoted recently as saying there is a plan with Bundy especially getting him rest post-All Star break.

Also, maybe Keith hasn't been watching but Bundy is throwing more fastballs with each start.

Buck said in a press conference the other day that he was going to find ways to rest Dylan.  I am guessing that means  pushing him back for an extra day's  rest.  Maybe taking him out a little early if the O's are winning against the less than great offense.  Buck understands that he can't keep pushing Bundy the way he has been.  Buck needed Dylan to go deep in games in the division.    It will be interesting to see how the game turns out tonight if the O's offense puts KC in a hole early.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm still irked he hasn't stepped back from his "Bundy is a reliever now, and he isn't in my Top 10 Oriole Prospects."

What a blatant, attention-getting move that was.

o

I don't follow Law any more or any less than any other sportswriter/sportscaster.

But from what you are pointing out, he has a possible motive for an agenda ........ he stuck his foot in his mouth about Bundy before, and so now, the next best thing to having been right about his original claim about Bundy would be for the rising young star to get injured. It wouldn't be the failure/underachievement that Law originally predicted/claimed, but in a sense it would kind of take any focus off of previously egg-faced people (like Law), and put it squarely on the manager (Showalter) for questionable tactics in his usage of the youngster.

o

I feel the same way as a lot of people in this thread.   I have been concerned about Bundy's usage too.   But having someone with an agenda and an attitude point it out, and go over the top doing so, also bugs me.

Buck's use of starters is pretty consistent.   He pushes them, and pushes them hard.   He is all about keeping his top 5 bullpen guys rested and ready as much as possible (except for examples like Sunday where he could have let Asher go one more batter, it's clear that he values the save stat).

But I think Bundy needs to be a bit of an exception to that.   I hope we find some chances to rest him.   (Actually, Buck did find a way to get him an extra day this time through, by plugging the drains in the Nats Park outfield!)

Bundy does seem subject to fatigue. With other starts performing well on extra rest, and a couple optionable decent starting options, I wonder if a 6 man rotation is a good idea. Of course that would be extremely difficult to pull off with the extra position player on the bench.

I am interested to see Bundy's velocity tonight with an extra day's rest.  If I'm reading the Pitch f/x chart correctly, his velocity steadily climbed last year and peaked around mid-season, with another slight rise towards the end of the season.  Would like to see him build on that this year, though he's actually been trending slightly down since his first start .

Those extra few MPH on his FB will really help him set up his already high quality slider (and good curve), and if he can add some additional differential, could improve the results he gets on his change-up (below league average at the moment, I believe).  

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Buck said in a press conference the other day that he was going to find ways to rest Dylan.  I am guessing that means  pushing him back for an extra day's  rest.  Maybe taking him out a little early if the O's are winning against the less than great offense.  Buck understands that he can't keep pushing Bundy the way he has been.  Buck needed Dylan to go deep in games in the division.    It will be interesting to see how the game turns out tonight if the O's offense puts KC in a hole early.

I question how much he's really been pushing Bundy anyway.    His pitches per inning are down considerably this year (from 17.8 to 16.1).    I haven't gotten the feeling that he's laboring.    Saying that, there have been four times when Buck has sent him out for one more inning when he was approaching or past 100 pitches:

April 11 - Sent Bundy out for the 7th after throwing 96 through 6.   Threw 10 pitches (groundout, walk).

April 21 - Sent Bundy out for the 8th after throwing 101 through 7.   Threw 7 pitches (single).

April 26 - Sent Bundy out for the 7th after throwing 99 though 6.   Threw 7 pitches (lineout, double).

May 1 - Sent Bundy out for the 8th inning after throwing 99 through 7.   Threw 12 pitches (double, single, single).

The good news is, Bundy had been pitch-efficient in those games.    But he hasn't performed well when Buck has tried to squeeze out an extra inning, so if I were Buck I'd back off.

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm still irked he hasn't stepped back from his "Bundy is a reliever now and he isn't in my Top 10 Oriole Prospects.".

What a blatant attention getting move that was.

Maybe he was referring to Al Bundy :o

I did think the O's were going to be cautious pitch-wise with DB this year, and there has been a time or two I thought he was gassed around the 80 pitch mark, but I have no idea if that was the case or not. I'm not a catcher, a PC, or a manager, so I do NOT know the subtle nuances that a pitcher is tiring, and should be pulled.

9 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Keith Law has been writing biased articles and blogs and tweets for years against the Orioles. Maybe he had a bad encounter with an oriole bird as a youth. 

I know he was very unhappy when the O's fired some scouts when Dan took over.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I question how much he's really been pushing Bundy anyway.    His pitches per inning are down considerably this year (from 17.8 to 16.1).    I haven't gotten the feeling that he's laboring.    Saying that, there have been four times when Buck has sent him out for one more inning when he was approaching or past 100 pitches:

April 11 - Sent Bundy out for the 7th after throwing 96 through 6.   Threw 10 pitches (groundout, walk).

April 21 - Sent Bundy out for the 8th after throwing 101 through 7.   Threw 7 pitches (single).

April 26 - Sent Bundy out for the 7th after throwing 99 though 6.   Threw 7 pitches (lineout, double).

May 1 - Sent Bundy out for the 8th inning after throwing 99 through 7.   Threw 12 pitches (double, single, single).

The good news is, Bundy had been pitch-efficient in those games.    But he hasn't performed well when Buck has tried to squeeze out an extra inning, so if I were Buck I'd back off.

Isn't he on pace for well over 200 innings?  He isn't in the top 10 in innings pitched but he would have been tied for third (in MLB) if he had pitched last night and gone 6.0.

You don't think that counts as pushing him?

Archived