Trade Kim and replace him with Mancini

Diehard_O's_Fan

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

If one believes Mancini can become a respectable defensive outfielder, then we need to keep him.    Five more years of team control, including two more years at dirt cheap prices and then three years at a discount.    

It's going to take a lot to convince me that this is ever going to happen. And even more to convince me that there's any chance of it happening without sending him back to Norfolk to get the experience he needs. His well below average speed and general lack of athleticism will always be an obstacle (as it is with Trumbo), even if he can develop the instincts. But he isn't going to develop the instincts and figure it all out without playing out there fairly regularly.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On April 13, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Aristotelian said:

May I also remind folks that Mancini was hitting .167 with 0 HR going into the game last night? I doubt we are getting rid of Kim based on one good game against a knuckleballer, although the potential is obviously exciting.

A knuckleballer who only survived (if you want to call it that!) 1.33 innings and gave up 8 hits, 4 home runs, and a HBP to the 13 batters he faced. One of the worst pitching performances I've ever seen.

8 minutes ago, LA2 said:

A knuckleballer who only survived (if you want to call it that!) 1.33 innings and gave up 8 hits, 4 home runs, and a HBP to the 13 batters he faced. One of the worst pitching performances I've ever seen.

Worst I'd seen since Jeremy Guthrie last Saturday for the Nationals.

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Yep, but sometimes pitchers like that are reasons why teams (or players) suddenly get on hot streaks, because they get that "comfort" pitcher for a game (or a few at bats.)

Mancini is still new (11 games in, or is it 12?) and has shown he can mash. He has also shown some poise at the plate and being able to adjust as the game goes on.

With his fielding, has he embarrassed himself yet? Someone said he lacks athleticism. I don't think that, I just think he doesn't look graceful. He has shown a strong arm, played some balls off the Monster in Boston well, and can still be an option at first or right field.

I say, keep giving him some time. Though if he gets sent to Norfolk, maybe he can help them actually win some games...

40 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

Yeah, but at least Wright was smart enough to give up only 8 runs in 1 1/3 innings instead of 10 runs in 2/3!

Ok, you win. I'm partial to Jeremy--he was our ace for a while and smarter than most anyone else. :/

6 hours ago, LA2 said:

It was the worst pitching I've ever seen in a major league game. I've seen worse pitching lines, but Wright was throwing nothing but 71-mph nothing balls to Major League hitters. An above-average high school pitcher would have looked more impressive. 

1 hour ago, crawjo said:

It was the worst pitching I've ever seen in a major league game. I've seen worse pitching lines, but Wright was throwing nothing but 71-mph nothing balls to Major League hitters. An above-average high school pitcher would have looked more impressive. 

I saw both Wright and Guthrie and I thought that as bad as Wright was, Guthrie was worse. At least Wright recorded a few reasonable outs. The only two outs Guthrie recorded were two sacrifice flies that were crushed.

If you're into metrics, Bill James' "game score" tool rated Guthrie a -4 and Wright a +3 (understand that you start with 50 points and work your way forward or backward from there). But that wasn't even Guthrie's worst start of his career. Here's a really interesting blog that compares a 2015 Guthrie start to some of the worst of all-time:

Did Jeremy Guthrie have the worst start of all time?

6 hours ago, weams said:

But but... He wore that shirt.

Yeah, I know, I hadn't forgotten about that, but I think I understand why he--along with several others--have left resentfully. So much that they make obnoxious t-shirts or squawk to the press after landing in supposedly superior organizations.

4 hours ago, LA2 said:

Yeah, I know, I hadn't forgotten about that, but I think I understand why he--along with several others--have left resentfully. So much that they make obnoxious t-shirts or squawk to the press after landing in supposedly superior organizations.

Or sour grapes because they want to back at the City. On the Bay. 

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mancini with difference making home run again stretching a 1-0 lead to 4-0 lead.   Two homers, one off of a RHP who threw a 95 mph low on the inner half.  Boom, Boom!      Mancini is making it hard to keep him out of the lineup.

I'm shocked. And I'm thrilled!

Archived