Buster Posey Scouting Report -- Draft Preview

Hey, sorry guys. We didn't know linking to our stuff was a no-no. We have been told and we won't link anymore. Guys like NoVaO run good sites, but I don't think he ever links . . . so it was unfair to him and to OH in general for directing traffic off-site. Sorry again.

The comments have been awesome and there has been some great talk here and we both will continue to take part. I think Stotle's point will be well made, but mine have graphs and formulas and stuff . . . so I might be relegated as a hype man. I have already begun shopping for giant clock necklaces.

Word to my Homies.

Hey, sorry guys. We didn't know linking to our stuff was a no-no. We have been told and we won't link anymore. Guys like NoVaO run good sites, but I don't think he ever links . . . so it was unfair to him and to OH in general for directing traffic off-site. Sorry again.

The comments have been awesome and there has been some great talk here and we both will continue to take part. I think Stotle's point will be well made, but mine have graphs and formulas and stuff . . . so I might be relegated as a hype man. I have already begun shopping for giant clock necklaces.

Word to my Homies.

I've linked to some of my stuff before...not all of it, but I wasn't contacted or anything. I enjoyed the report though...maybe there should be a sticky thread that allows people to link to various prospect scouting reports/profiles?

BTW, I did finish my Gordon Beckham piece and I needed some strikeout total information on him, so I sourced you and Stotle's site for that information. I'm not linking the article, but his swing reminds me of Alex Rodriguez's swing, but just must less efficient in using his body.

The question is does Beckham have the "quickness" to shorten up his swing while maintaining most of his current power...my feeling is that quickness isn't something you can just get, but that it is more of a natural gift and I don't think Beckham has that ability.

I've linked to some of my stuff before...not all of it, but I wasn't contacted or anything. I enjoyed the report though...maybe there should be a sticky thread that allows people to link to various prospect scouting reports/profiles?

BTW, I did finish my Gordon Beckham piece and I needed some strikeout total information on him, so I sourced you and Stotle's site for that information. I'm not linking the article, but his swing reminds me of Alex Rodriguez's swing, but just must less efficient in using his body.

The question is does Beckham have the "quickness" to shorten up his swing while maintaining most of his current power...my feeling is that quickness isn't something you can just get, but that it is more of a natural gift and I don't think Beckham has that ability.

Thanks for the source. I plugged your Beckham piece as a nice break-down on the differences between Upton's swing and Beckham's swing. Look forward to seeing the Beckham piece.

Thanks for the source. I plugged your Beckham piece as a nice break-down on the differences between Upton's swing and Beckham's swing. Look forward to seeing the Beckham piece.

Just read the Beckham piece. Which game did you pull his swing from? I ask because I used film from the Oregon State game at the start of the season and didn't drop his hands nearly as much as he was starting his swing. In fact, I'd say he didn't drop them at all. They were literally fixed in space as he was striding forward. The effect, I wrote, was to lengthen his swing through separation. You point that out in you piece, but it was even more pronounced when I saw him. Just curious were you pulled the film, or when you shot it.

Nice write-up -- my vote is for G-Bex not overcoming his swing, though I hope he does. He's a lot of fun to watch, both at the plate and in the field.

After yesterdays performance... WOW! My initial thinking that Posey profiles as a 15-20 HR man may be a slight underestimate. The kid just may have 25 HR power. He's having one of those years... simply special. He's convinced me that he's going #1 now to TB.

After yesterdays performance... WOW! My initial thinking that Posey profiles as a 15-20 HR man may be a slight underestimate. The kid just may have 25 HR power. He's having one of those years... simply special. He's convinced me that he's going #1 now to TB.

Keep in mind this was still Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium -- a pretty darn good hitters park. I think 25 may be pushing it a bit for Posey, but a ceiling of 20 is very attainable. I would bet TAM selects him as well:

TAM - Posey

PIT - Alvarez

KAN - Crow/Hosmer

BAL - T-Bex

Keep in mind this was still Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium -- a pretty darn good hitters park. I think 25 may be pushing it a bit for Posey, but a ceiling of 20 is very attainable. I would bet TAM selects him as well:

TAM - Posey

PIT - Alvarez

KAN - Crow/Hosmer

BAL - T-Bex

True, but 25 wouldn't surprise me. :)

Tim Beckham is a great athlete, and an all-star potential prospect, but...

I am a bit concerned with the disparity in his reported size. Some say 6' 2-191, others 6'-180.

Now that may seem like merely a slight difference, but when discussing his power potential, I'd feel a bit better knowing he was the larger listed height/weight. I have put in a call to Tim's HS coach, Jamie Cassady, and hope to resolve the 'concern' asap.

True, but 25 wouldn't surprise me. :)

Tim Beckham is a great athlete, and an all-star potential prospect, but...

I am a bit concerned with the disparity in his reported size. Some say 6' 2-191, others 6'-180.

Now that may seem like merely a slight difference, but when discussing his power potential, I'd feel a bit better knowing he was the larger listed height/weight. I have put in a call to Tim's HS coach, Jamie Cassady, and hope to resolve the 'concern' asap.

Yeah, but he's had his tires kicked for a long time now. It's unlikely he'd remain at the top of all of these draft boards if scouts had serious concerns about his size. It isn't like he's a latin american kid that the US Scouts haven't seen in person.

Looking forward to what his coach says! Keep us updated.

Word to my Homies.

You guys are fine posting stuff from your site as we continue to talk over some stuff. Please, be my guest. Keep up the good work..

Yeah, but he's had his tires kicked for a long time now. It's unlikely he'd remain at the top of all of these draft boards if scouts had serious concerns about his size. It isn't like he's a latin american kid that the US Scouts haven't seen in person.

Looking forward to what his coach says! Keep us updated.

What you say is true, but I am referring to a specific thing; power. If he is 6' 2, then I think his power projection would tend to be a bit better than were he 6' even. That's all I meant.

Something tells me he's going to be a good player... call it instinct. ;):D

What you say is true, but I am referring to a specific thing; power. If he is 6' 2, then I think his power projection would tend to be a bit better than were he 6' even. That's all I meant.

Something tells me he's going to be a good player... call it instinct. ;):D

Absolutely -- his actual size will be important. I agree he is at least in position to develop into a good pro.

Hypothetically speaking, if the Pirates pass on Alvarez, are chances good that he falls to us? The Royals have Gordon at 3B already. With that said, what are the chances that the Pirates pass on Alvarez? Who else are they looking at? Thanks!

Archived