Buster Posey Scouting Report -- Draft Preview

Hypothetically speaking, if the Pirates pass on Alvarez, are chances good that he falls to us? The Royals have Gordon at 3B already. With that said, what are the chances that the Pirates pass on Alvarez? Who else are they looking at? Thanks!

I can't see KAN passing on Alvarez. They'd likely take him and see if he can handle RF/LF/1b.

Hypothetically speaking, if the Pirates pass on Alvarez, are chances good that he falls to us? The Royals have Gordon at 3B already. With that said, what are the chances that the Pirates pass on Alvarez? Who else are they looking at? Thanks!

Some report said that the Pirates are going to take Alvarez, since its speculated that T. Beckham or Posey will be the Ray's pick. If the Rays go with Posey (like its widely thought of), I can see KC taking Beckham. Many people are wishing they'll go with one of the pitchers (Matusz or Crow), but I think they'll do what we'd do in their situation--go with the multi-tooled Tim Beckham.

We're most likely looking at Matusz, Crow, Smoak, and maybe Hosmer.

For those of you without satellite wanting to see what all the Posey hype is about, he'll be on ESPN2 this Friday at 2pm, and again on ESPN2 at noon on Saturday.

Smoak, Alvarez, Matusz are all not playing any longer.

Gordon Beckham will be on ESPN Friday at noon. Georgia is also scheduled to play on ESPN2 at noon on Saturday, so I'm assuming they are gonna go with regional coverage (I'm guessing those in the Baltimore area should get FSU because they are an ACC team??).

Moustakas was their top overall pick. I'm not sure many think he'll stay at SS.

Moustakas will not stay at SS. He projects as a thirdbasemen. Possibly a second basemen. There is no one in the Royals organization "blocking" Beckham at SS. (if that really matters)

Just read the Beckham piece. Which game did you pull his swing from? I ask because I used film from the Oregon State game at the start of the season and didn't drop his hands nearly as much as he was starting his swing. In fact, I'd say he didn't drop them at all. They were literally fixed in space as he was striding forward. The effect, I wrote, was to lengthen his swing through separation. You point that out in you piece, but it was even more pronounced when I saw him. Just curious were you pulled the film, or when you shot it.

Nice write-up -- my vote is for G-Bex not overcoming his swing, though I hope he does. He's a lot of fun to watch, both at the plate and in the field.

I think it was against MSU. It was the one on Youtube. For anybody who hasn't read it, here is the link:

http://www.baseball-intellect.com/Articles/gordon-beckham-swing.html

I was questioned about the A-Rod comparisons, but I remind people to look at the grade I give him.

I looked at some videos of him from his Summer League play and he didn't have that leg kick he showed in the video on YouTube, meaning he made some adjustments to his stance before the season started.

I think it was against MSU. It was the one on Youtube. For anybody who hasn't read it, here is the link:

http://www.baseball-intellect.com/Articles/gordon-beckham-swing.html

I was questioned about the A-Rod comparisons, but I remind people to look at the grade I give him.

I looked at some videos of him from his Summer League play and he didn't have that leg kick he showed in the video on YouTube, meaning he made some adjustments to his stance before the season started.

Actually, looks like he had the adjustment after the season started, as he didn't have it a month before your footage when Georgia was at Oregon State. Interesting...

Archived