Palmer said Bundy had shoulder stiffness in his last start

Dark Helmet

30 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Because if he gets through the 8th he may not have to use O'Day or Brach at all last night. Both of those had pitched 2 of 3 in NY and both had as we all remember one rough outing. If the play in LF is made who knows what happens.  

Right, if.  How many times has that worked out for Buck so far this year?  And when it doesn't work out you get a reliever who had to rush warming up coming in with baserunners on.

I think overall it does more harm than good.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, you didn't really answer my question.   Obviously, he preferred resting O'Day and/or Brach last night.   However, both were available and both pitched.   Should Buck only wait until Bundy labors or holds his arm before he takes him out?    There's something called precaution and I think 7 innings and 99 pitches with O'Day and Brach both available in the bullpen is a no brainer.     I would rather risk losing O'Day or even Brach for a) a few nights  b) a coulpe of weeks or c) all season   verses doing the same to Bundy.     We have 4 more potential years of Bundy.    Be careful is all I'm saying.

They were up 5 there, not 2. One run in the 8th would not have killed the Orioles.  

I agee 100% that it is important to take care of him. No doubt. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Right, if.  How many times has that worked out for Buck so far this year?  And when it doesn't work out you get a reliever who had to rush warming up coming in with baserunners on.

I think overall it does more harm than good.

And now that Britton is back he has less excuses. I hear what you are saying. 

No idea what Buck was thinking having Bundy go back out there for the 8th, did he comment on it afterwards?  I like Buck, but he is a mystery sometimes.  I suspect Bundy is the type that will never not want the ball if you give him the choice, so need to be careful with him. 

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You are missing the point. Bundy doesn't have the workload experience to be pushed like this so early in the season and especially when the most innings he's ever thrown is 109.2.

He's on pace for 209 innings this year if he throws 32 starts. That seems like a huge jump in innings. In a 5-0 game at 99 pitches on a night when he only struck out two and walked four, it seemed like a good time to go to the pen to me. I just think Buck is riding him a bit hard especially when there are so many unknowns when it comes to how he'll hold up due to his limited amount of pro innings he had. Remember, Bundy basically ran out of gas after 75 innings last year. 

I think I did miss your point a bit.  Are you saying that Bundy should be going 5-6 innings right now in order to manage his innings and ramp up his load?  I was more concentrating on the idea of whether to send him out when he was above 100 pitches to see what he is capable of.  He has done this multiple times with Bundy this year and always with a quick hook.  I don't have such an issue with that in general and don't really think it hurts Bundy in the grand scheme.  

However, I agree with you that I don't understand how at this pace Bundy is going to stay under 180-190 innings.  I imagine they want him to stay well under that number, but maybe not.  They managed Gausman and Bundy's innings in the past effectively.  I can't imagine that all of the sudden they are stupid and have no plan.  One thing the Orioles can say is that their major league pitchers have not suffered any major injuries during Buck's time with the club.  That is pretty remarkable when you think about it.  I trust that they know enough to protect him but time will tell.  

Archived