Can Asher unseat Ubaldo?

wildcard

Asher has a chance tonight to put pressure on Ubaldo for his spot  in the rotation.  If Asher goes 5 plus innings and allows 3 runs or less he will force Ubaldo to match him to keep his spot in the rotation.   Ubaldo pitches Thursday night.   Ubaldo could be pushed to the pen when Tillman comes off the DL on Sunday.   This depends on Tillman feeling good after his start tonight at AAA.  Ubaldo's move to the pen would be similar to what happened last year mid season.  

Ubaldo hasn't set the bar very high at this point.   4 of his 5 starts that been poor and his ERA is at 7.43.  

Potentially the competition between Asher and Ubaldo is a good thing for the O's.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping so. At this point, I'm ready for the Orioles to release Ubaldo. Not only has he been as poor as ever, but he's so frustrating to watch that you don't even want to watch the game when he pitches.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm hoping so. At this point, I'm ready for the Orioles to release Ubaldo. Not only has he been as poor as ever, but he's so frustrating to watch that you don't even want to watch the game when he pitches.

And yet his numbers are better than Gausman at this point

I don't want Jimenez in the rotation right now, but I don't want him in the pen either. I know it righted the ship for a few starts last year, but I really think this team would be better served at this point without Jimenez and with Asher or someone starting and Logan Verrett or someone else in long relief.

Ubaldo is streaky, we've seen it so many times. He's terrible now but I can almost guarantee that if he manages to stay in the rotation he will put together a run of starts this summer where he looks unhittable. Last year showed us that. Still, I'm not sure we can wait him out...

I hope so. I know Ubaldo is trying his best out there but Asher has more upside at this point. It's frustrating because you know Ubaldo wants to succeed as much if not more than we want him to but it's just not getting done. 

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If you listen to Buck after U's last outing, I think he wants him to be released too.

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Asher has a chance tonight to put pressure on Ubaldo for his spot  in the rotation.  If Asher goes 5 plus innings and allows 3 runs or less he will force Ubaldo to match him to keep his spot in the rotation.   Ubaldo pitches Thursday night.   Ubaldo could be pushed to the pen when Tillman comes off the DL on Sunday.   This depends on Tillman feeling good after his start tonight at AAA.  Ubaldo's move to the pen would be similar to what happened last year mid season.  

Ubaldo hasn't set the bar very high at this point.   4 of his 5 starts that been poor and his ERA is at 7.43.  

Potentially the competition between Asher and Ubaldo is a good thing for the O's.

Add Asher to the rotation and release U wildcard.  That's better.  PGA will have to eat that salary for the good of the club.

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

100% agree. I don't even know how Ubaldo could have any confidence at this point. 

9 minutes ago, TheEldestTorres said:

Ubaldo is streaky, we've seen it so many times. He's terrible now but I can almost guarantee that if he manages to stay in the rotation he will put together a run of starts this summer where he looks unhittable. Last year showed us that. Still, I'm not sure we can wait him out...

This why I think Ubaldo will be sent to the DL with a "sprained ankle" or buried in the bullpen if Asher (or someone else) takes his spot.

Asher can nearly cement his spot as the fifth starter if he pitches well tonight.  

28 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

According to webbrick, nobody. Ever. That'd be optimistic.

Actually I'm optimistic that they will both improve and I think they should both continue in the rotation.

although I do think Asher has the opportunity to force Ubaldo out

Archived