Can Asher unseat Ubaldo?

wildcard

1 minute ago, TheEldestTorres said:

There's always Edwin Jackson... But it would be hard to get excited about trotting out a career 4.3 FIP guy. Basically Ubaldo with no upside and slightly better downside.

Jackson has a decent chance of being a good bullpen guy.  I would not count on him becoming a starter.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, TheEldestTorres said:

There's always Edwin Jackson... But it would be hard to get excited about trotting out a career 4.3 FIP guy. Basically Ubaldo with no upside and slightly better downside.

At this point, his only hope is a bp piece and that is probably unlikely. He is not a starter any longer. I hope you are right though, don't get me wrong.

I don't see any of these guys giving us much hope. Tanner Scott maybe....not sure how long Blier can go, haven't seen enough of him, but he's been impressive at Norfolk. Maybe Verrett uses that last game to turn things around..but stuff isn't all that impressive.

We need help from outside this org. I would package Cisco plus for someone. I think Cisco may not play defensively up to Buck's standards and I think his splits opens the possibility he isn't a full time player. Regardless, we need starting pitching.

Anyone who thinks  Ubaldo may be released is way ahead of me.

I see a one in three chance the Asher replaces Ubaldo in the rotation

1) Asher pitches poorly --- Ubaldo stays

2) Asher pitches well and Ubaldo pitches well on Thursday----- Ubaldo stays.

3) Asher pitches well and Ubaldo pitches poorly on Thursday -----Asher may stay in the rotation.

Then there is the complicating factor on what happens to Tillman.  If Tillman feels something that bothers him then Ubaldo stays in the rotation.

And that is just about the rotation not about Ubaldo being released.

I don't see Dan releasing Ubaldo until August if then.  Too much money still unpaid on Ubaldo's salary to see him getting released.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Anyone who thinks  Ubaldo may be released is away ahead of me.

3) Asher pitches well and Ubaldo pitches poorly on Thursday -----Asher may stay in the rotation.

Then there is the complicating factor on what happens to Tillman.  If Tillman feels something that bothers him then Ubaldo stays in the rotation.

I don't see Dan releasing Ubaldo until August if then.  Too much money still unpaid on Ubaldo's salary to see him getting released.

I think you are spot on here sadly.

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

And yet his numbers are better than Gausman at this point

Maybe so. And as much as I like Ubaldo and root for him to succeed he just won't. Time for DD and Buck to cut the apron strings and DFA him.

2 hours ago, TheEldestTorres said:

Jackson was last a semi-successful starting pitcher in 2012... I imagine he could be run out there in an emergency, but I think he's far more likely to make the club as a long man/reliever if at all.

3 hours ago, TheEldestTorres said:

And several years removed from starting regularly.   Basically been a reliever for a few years.

No thanks.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Anyone who thinks  Ubaldo may be released is way ahead of me.

I agree.   Let's say Asher pitches well.   That's still just two starts.   That may be enough to earn him a spot in the rotation on a faltering Ubaldo.   But not enough to cut Ubaldo completely and not at least have him as a fallback option.   I don't think it's as much a matter of what Ubaldo is getting paid, as it is that even if Asher pitches well this time, it's still way too small a sample to go ahead and hand him a spot AND get rid of the guy who is, unfortunately, probably still the best option if Asher later crashes and burns.

Yes...Ubaldo is probably still the best option.   Because we have seen him put together several good stretches in his 3+ years with us, often following really bad stretches.

8 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I don't want Jimenez in the rotation right now, but I don't want him in the pen either. I know it righted the ship for a few starts last year, but I really think this team would be better served at this point without Jimenez and with Asher or someone starting and Logan Verrett or someone else in long relief.

Hey, don't  you want him around to bash and rant about? I mean, who are you going to knock around once Ubaldo leaves

7 hours ago, Palmoripken said:

I hope so. I know Ubaldo is trying his best out there but Asher has more upside at this point. It's frustrating because you know Ubaldo wants to succeed as much if not more than we want him to but it's just not getting done. 

Ubaldo needs more than trying his best. He needs some expert coaching to learn how to adjust to loss of velocity.  At one point last year (after a 2nd.demotion to the pen), it looked as though he was finally turning the corner.

But then there was that wild card game.. He hadn't yet gotten the changes completely in his mind and Buck brings him in relief. Two singles and Edwin Encarnacio's walk off HR did him in. Despite what he may have said, it's still in his head. He is convinced that he singlehandedly lost his team's  post season chances.

I am not. sure what would help - being released and a change in scenery. Some time in the pen in low leverage situations while he gets some coaching with Alan Mills or Ramon Martinez. A few sessions with a sports psychologist either here or with another team? 

I get the feeling that most Orioles fans just want to wash their hands of the Ubaldo Jimenez  situation. But then of course,  we gotta find some other poor guy to obsess over and kick around.

Archived