The Best Thing About Hunter and Bordick Calling a Game is ...

mdbdotcom

7 hours ago, thezeroes said:

I have never watched an Oriole game were an announcer has any bearing on whether I enjoy it or not. If the announcers need to fit some kind of little niche to enjoy the game then someone may be watching for the wrong reason.

Remember all of those years having to endure Michael "Used Car Salesman" Reghi? Ugh. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Remember all of those years having to endure Michael "Used Car Salesman" Reghi? Ugh. 

Or the season with Ken Levine? Horrible sounding voice. Started complaining on air about the burden of travel in the second week of June. Did he skip out on the last few weeks of that season?

11 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Or the season with Ken Levine? Horrible sounding voice. Started complaining on air about the burden of travel in the second week of June. Did he skip out on the last few weeks of that season?

Baseball moron too.  He was broadcasting with Ripken in his prime.   He could not anticipate intentional walks.   Typical situations:  O's have second and third,  one or two outs.  Ripken coming up against a LHP.  On deck is Sam Horn or some left-handed hitter.   He would hype the forthcoming matchup with Ripken, not even noticing they weren't going to pitch him, for no other reason than to set up the DP.   

The best things about Hunter and Bordick calling a game are ...

-- It forces me to expand my vocabulary and experiment with syntax to avoid being too repetitive in my complaints about Hunter;

-- It encourages me to learn what the opposing team's broadcast crew has to say about the game, their own team, or individual O's after I have had enough of Hunter for the day and switch over;

-- It makes me appreciate what a national treasure we have in Jim Palmer.

Bordick's unquestionably knowledgable about the game and a nice guy, but he talks like he's calling the game for 5 year olds.  If he'd call the bad as well as the good and stop try to sugar-coat everything, he'd be a helluvalot better.  Then I'd be able to take that grating delivery of his that he's "perfected" after each play. 

2 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

Baseball moron too.  He was broadcasting with Ripken in his prime.   He could not anticipate intentional walks.   Typical situations:  O's have second and third,  one or two outs.  Ripken coming up against a LHP.  On deck is Sam Horn or some left-handed hitter.   He would hype the forthcoming matchup with Ripken, not even noticing they weren't going to pitch him, for no other reason than to set up the DP.   

Levine wasn't a great announcer in his year with the team (1991), but as a 20-year-old myself back then I thought it was pretty cool having an announcer who had written numerous episodes for M*A*S*H, Cheers and The Simpsons.

For me, the only thing I care about with announcers is whether they distract from the game. They can do this either by having an annoying voice or by drawing attention to themselves. From this perspective, I have no problem with Hunter and Bordick.

Hunter is flat out terrible.  He feels this need to coach the viewer.  It often comes off as condescending.  The Orioles can do no wrong in his eyes and he has annoying tendency to call every home run like it's the game winning hit in the 7th game of the World Series.  He is an awful interviewer.  He asks long winded questions and supplies answers before whomever he is asking has a chance to get a word in edgewise.  Hearing that he is a "sourpuss" somehow doesn't surprise me.  He seems like an asskisser.  If he doesn't need to kiss your ass, I can see him being off-putting.

As for Bordick, he's like Melba toast.  Boring.  I don't find him insightful at all and I swear he comes up with names or catch phrases that I envision him practicing in the mirror.  Then he abuses them like "cookie" and "the crusher" which just sound ridiculous.  He's unobjectionable but really just a lame excuse for a color guy.

Sammyt needs to publish his rules of bad MLB play by play. I would add that a good voice (on the radio side at least) also goes a long way toward soothing the chronic listener. After the O's game is over I often listen to the Giants broadcast, mostly because I like listening to Jon Miller. My wife, who could care less than zero about baseball, has remarked more than once that she loves listening to him. She particularly likes how he says "Buster Posey".

In the first place, I don't think anyone should be allowed to use the word 'treacle' on this board. 9_9

Having Hunter and Bordick doing the games enables me to switch to watching the opposing team's broadcast. When I do I don't have to listen to Bordick and I can listen to what opposing broadcasters have to say about the O's.

While watching the White Sox broadcasts this weekend, I also found out why Ryan Mountcastle is still playing SS in the minors even though the O's know he will have to play another position. 

Archived