Gio Gonzalez: The Orioles Will Swing at Anything

OFFNY

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

Lol....the only pitch that was a ball was Trumbo's.  Of course you're not going to get beat if the other team doesn't swing.  I agree, stupid to say.  Just keep your mouth shut next time, dude.

Like... aren't some of the balls that get punished the most ones that would definitely, without doubt be strikes if they were not swung at?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Gio, if they swing at anything, why even throw them a strike?  Sure, Trumbo got you for a solo, but if you threw everyone else balls outside the strike zone that were swung at and missed, you'd only have given up 1 earned run?  Right?  Right?

Moron.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Strikes me as a lighthearted comment about Trumbo's homer, rather than sour grapes.   They said on TV that it was the highest pitch anyone had hit for a homer since 2008.    

Spot on. He only mentioned the "throw it over the backstop" thing after commenting on Trumbo's homer... which even Mark admitted was kind of a ridiculous swing that worked out.

Folks shouldn't find offense where none is meant so often.

I don't get the "if they don't swing they're strikes" comment... We're supposed to swing at pitches in the strike zone... swinging was the right thing to do... and hitting home runs is the best outcome. 

So, is Gio saying we did everything very well and should be commended for our performance?

Apparently, I haven't been paying attention to much going on around the league outside of O's games. The Gnats TV guys mentioned something about a growing group of baseball people saying the ball is juiced this year, lol. I haven't seen any threads about it or articles, so I don't know.

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

Apparently, I haven't been paying attention to much going on around the league outside of O's games. The Gnats TV guys mentioned something about a growing group of baseball people saying the ball is juiced this year, lol. I haven't seen any threads about it or articles, so I don't know.

This started last year with the juiced ball theories.

12 minutes ago, Malike said:

Would definitely explain all the warning track power the Os have been demonstrating thus far this year.

15 minutes ago, Malike said:

There have been murmurs about that since the all star break of 2015, when the HR spike began rather suddenly. This FiveThirtyEight article is the most in depth piece I've read that speculates on the subject. 

As for the rest of this thread, seems like a lot of overreaction to me. Gonzalez might have been upset about his performance, but his actual quotes don't read to me as out of line or classless. I'm wondering if people are reacting to the phrasing "The Orioles will swing at anything" in the thread title, which was not actually Gio's wording. 

59 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Except that you generally don't expect those types of comments from somebody immediately after they had just gotten the hell beaten out of them by said obese person.

o

Haha not necessarily. I've seen some sore losers, Gio probably fits that mold. I just don't think it's an untrue statement...the O's swing at everything. So why get your feathers ruffled over the obvious? 

1 hour ago, oriole said:

It's like a morbidly obese person getting upset when someone calls them overweight. there's no reason that the Oriole should feel insulted, Gio is just being candid.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

Except that you generally don't expect those types of comments from somebody immediately after they had just gotten the hell beaten out of them by said obese person.

o

22 minutes ago, oriole said:

Ha ha, not necessarily. I've seen some sore losers, and Gonzalez probably fits that mold. I just don't think that it's an untrue statement ... the Orioles swing at everything, so why get your feathers ruffled over the obvious? 

o

Why make an ass of yourself in the first place after you just had your head handed to you?

The Orioles kicking Gonzalez' rear-end is much more obvious (and pertinent) than whatever their shortcomings at-large are as an offensive team.

o

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

I don't know how much Gio said was tongue in cheek, but lifetime against Baltimore - he's 1-6 with a 4.40 ERA, a 1.57 WHIP (so he's let a ton of base-runners on), and 45 K's v 29 Walks over 59.33 innings pitched - so he's at nearly 1 walk per 2 innings - so they don't swing at all of his stuff.  

o

Thanks for the info.

That could very well be at the root of his comments, rather than just some tongue-in-cheek humor.

o

10 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Why make an ass of yourself in the first place after you just had your head handed to you?

The Orioles kicking Gonzalez' rear-end is much more obvious (and pertinent) than whatever their shortcomings at-large are as an offensive team.

o

I guess I'm a little less sensitive than some of you guys.    What exactly did Gonzalez say that was so awful?   When you throw a pitch that's literally a full foot above the strike zone and it gets tomahawked for a homer, isn't the natural reaction, "where do I need to throw it so that they won't hit it -- the backstop?"    I didn't find his comment offensive in the slightest.

Archived