The Case for Johnny Giavotella

Legend_Of_Joey

With Schoop leaving last night's game with cramps, along with his hand injury earlier and Hardy's age and back issues, there is a case for Johnny to be on the 40 soon.

There is an open spot that doesn't seem to be getting filled yet. The 40 has enough optionable arms right now and there is only so many roster spots. I'm not saying Johnny needs to come up right now, but they might want to get ready to have a backup if Hardy and/or Schoop can't avoid the injury bug.

Johnny is doing good in Norfolk with a .290 Average (16th), .823 OPS (16th), .379 OBP (12th), 12 doubles (T-1st), 2 triples (T-3rd), 17 walks (T-5th). Those were as of the 14th. He also has some steals and is generally doing very good on defense.

Yes, we have Flaherty but if Hardy or Schoop get DL'ed for any reason, you have another option. You can pinch hit for Flash, have some insurance incase he tweaks something in a game, ect.

Can he pitch? Dunno. But he is someone that wouldn't have to come up and be yo-yo'ed back after giving us 1 inning in a game.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Only if there is an injury to one of Hardy, Schoop or Flash.  We can barely find AB's for Flaherty.  It's good to see Giavotella performing but I don't see him coming up before September.  

Exactly. But if Hardy or Schoop get hurt, he does provide an option that is better than Andino or Janish with the bat and speed.

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Exactly. But if Hardy or Schoop get hurt, he does provide an option that is better than Andino or Janish with the bat and speed.

I don't think he can play anywhere but 2B.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't think he can play anywhere but 2B.    

Giavotella has played 2B mostly. But it may be similar to the closer argument: you don;t know whether a guy can close until he gets the chance. Giavotella may be able to play 3B better than many of the starters in MLB, but he doesn't have the stick to play there more than as a fill-in...like Flaherty. He may be less than great at SS, but probably could acquit himself ok...like Flaherty. Giavotella has displayed better speed as a baserunner in his minor league history than Flaherty, but with less power. Maybe Giavotella could prove to be a better fit for this particular squad because of those differences. I'd say he could provide comparable value, at least.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Jayson Aquino has been optioned to AAA-Norfolk.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/883063514503491584

The Orioles have selected the contract of AAA-Norfolk infielder Johnny Giavotella.

fb262eff_mlbam.jpg

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/883063376909389825

o

o

David Washington was DFA'd to make room for Giavotella on the 40-man roster.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/883063433259864065

o

I'm glad Giovatella is getting a shot, I think he should have been up sooner. What I don't get is why DFA Washington, Janish should have been DFA'd instead. At least Washington has a little power potential.

9 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I'm glad Giovatella is getting a shot, I think he should have been up sooner. What I don't get is why DFA Washington, Janish should have been DFA'd instead. At least Washington has a little power potential.

They might be hoping Washington gets claimed. That way, they can have Alvarez at first and be able to DH Adam Brett Walker in Norfolk.

You may be right. Sometimes the moves just don't make sense to me lol. At this point I'm thinking age should play a difference, you can find a replacement for Janish pretty easily and Alvarez will probably spend the year at AAA because of Davis, Trumbo and Mancini.

On 5/17/2017 at 5:32 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

With Schoop leaving last night's game with cramps, along with his hand injury earlier and Hardy's age and back issues, there is a case for Johnny to be on the 40 soon.

There is an open spot that doesn't seem to be getting filled yet. The 40 has enough optionable arms right now and there is only so many roster spots. I'm not saying Johnny needs to come up right now, but they might want to get ready to have a backup if Hardy and/or Schoop can't avoid the injury bug.

Johnny is doing good in Norfolk with a .290 Average (16th), .823 OPS (16th), .379 OBP (12th), 12 doubles (T-1st), 2 triples (T-3rd), 17 walks (T-5th). Those were as of the 14th. He also has some steals and is generally doing very good on defense.

Yes, we have Flaherty but if Hardy or Schoop get DL'ed for any reason, you have another option. You can pinch hit for Flash, have some insurance incase he tweaks something in a game, etc.

Can he pitch? I dunno. But he is someone that wouldn't have to come up and be yo-yo'ed back after giving us 1 inning in a game.

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Orioles have selected the contract of AAA-Norfolk infielder Johnny Giavotella.

fb262eff_mlbam.jpg

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/883063376909389825

o

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

BOOYA!

*Ahem*

o

Well, it remains to be seen how Giavotella will fare with the Orioles ........ but your request has been accepted.

o

Archived