2017 Mega Draft Thread

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

All we did was draft OF guys....now I guess it's time to draft for the infield. 

There are a handful of guys if the O's want to go this direction that would make sense in the first three picks.

Keston Hiura 1

Logan Warmouth 1

Nick Allen 1

Jeter Downs 1/2

Mark Vientos 1/2

Brady McConnell (named after Brady Anderson seriously) 2

Chris Seise 2/3

Kevin Merrell  2/3

Greg Jones 3

Zach Rutherford 3

3 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

There are a handful of guys if the O's want to go this direction that would make sense in the first three picks.

Keston Hiura 1

Logan Warmouth 1

Nick Allen 1

Jeter Downs 1/2

Mark Vientos 1/2

Brady McConnell (named after Brady Anderson seriously) 2

Chris Seise 2/3

Kevin Merrell  2/3

Greg Jones 3

Zach Rutherford 3

These guys all look good, and I think it would be hilarious to see McConnell play for the team who his namesake played for

4 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

These guys all look good, and I think it would be hilarious to see McConnell play for the team who his namesake played for

He's one of my top targets at 60/74, Manny is his favorite player and his brother is named after Brooks Robinson; it sounds like he's an O's fan.  I think he's a similar player to Mountcastle, big framed but skinny Florida prep SS with power potential. His hit tool lags behind Mountcastle, but he has a much better arm, and generally a much better shot of staying at a premium defensive position.

On 5/26/2017 at 8:37 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

One of the reasons why doing the Astros style rebuild is risky.  We got pretty lucky are last years of being terrible and got Wieters, Machado, Gausman, and Bundy all really high.  

I hope we go college arm again with the first pick.  Then go more upside with the two 2nd rd picks.  

Yeah, the O's got fortunate there, for a while. They've had their Top 10 misses, too. Loewen in 2002 (Greinke, Fielder, Kazmir, Swisher, Hamels and Cain all went later in the first round), Wade Townsend in 2004 (Jered Weaver and Billy Buter went later in the first round), Bill Rowell in 2006 (Tim Lincecum and Max Scherzer were literally the next two picks), Matt Hobgood in 2009 (AJ Pollock, Shelby Miller and of course Mike Trout went later in the first round).

Draft is a crapshoot. Just how it works.

This draft doesn't look that great.  Mackenzie Gore is slated top 5 and I saw him twice and thought he has good but when I saw Hunter Harvey in high school as well he was the much better pitcher.  Harvey getting hurt shows you never know he was never over used and had solid mechanics yet still had to go under the knife.  He wasn't like Bundy whose coaches and dad ran him into ground at an early age.  

I have watched Logan Harmouth play maybe a dozen times.  He is a solid player and does everything pretty good but nothing that stands out.  His arm is slightly below average but he has quick hands and release so I think he could stay at short.  He doesn't have the cannon or anything but can make the throw.   Hardy is a very good comp as people have stated though I think he has less power and works the ball to right lotmore then Hardy did at younger age.  I actually think hitter wise he is more like Ian Kinsler and has similar speed.

The three guys I like are Lange out of LSU and Corbin Martin out of A&M.  Martin has been near unhittable in the cape cod last two years but not as impressive during college season.  He has a plus plus fastball and nice breaking ball to compliment it.

I really hope they go upside with their first pick, as opposed to need (college pitching).  Unfortunately, listening to Dan and Gary talk it seems they are very focused on college pitchers.  I don't see Peterson lasting until #21, and the other college pitchers that will be available (Canning, Houck, Lange) are good but I don't see them as worthy of the #21 pick.  If they go pure upside, Ramos would be the pick.   If they insist on a college pitcher, I'd prefer Lange out the group likely available.

Warmoth is a nice player, but again not really a 1st round pick IMO.  There are other college shortstops they can pick later that seem very similar to him (FSU and MD shortstops).  

Soooo....since this season is going so swimmingly at present....let's talk about the draft.  Any predictions/preferences for #21?  Eutaw St Report listed a few candidates.  I know nothing about any of them, but one listed was LHP David Peterson from Oregon.  How nice would it be to actually see the O's develop a quality LH SP?

http://eutawstreetreport.com/orioles-2017-draft-prospects/

Whether it's Peterson or not, I think they almost have to go with a college SP who could conceivably break in to the majors next summer for a cup of coffee, and possibly contend for a rotation spot in 2019.  If they can get lucky there and land a couple of rotation candidates by trading Machado, they could be back in playoff contention faster than a lot of people think.

Archived