2017 4th round pick (128): Jack Conlon - RHP - Clements HS (TX)

I think we're going to get him signed. The last guy we didn't sign was Jonathan Hughes two years ago in the 2nd round and that was pretty dumb of him. We've seen us sign HS pitchers like Fenter, Hanifee, Hall and Myers.  

We can offer Conlon 513k over slot for about 922k total. He'd have to be a 1st or 2nd rd pick in 2-3 years to get more. That's a huge gamble for him to go to college.

ideally we could get him for 609k and be able to use the remaining 300k on Greg Jones or some other of the remaining unsigned guys. 

3 hours ago, Lefty0315 said:

Jim Callis disagrees.

It also looks doubtful that fourth-rounder Jack Conlon will sign with the Orioles. A fourth-rounder from Clements High (Sugar Land, Texas), he displays a 92-95 mph fastball and a sharp 81-84 mph slider when he's at his best. If he doesn't turn pro, he'll attend Texas A&M.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/240669238/draft-signings-update/?topicid=151437456

http://tamu.247sports.com/Bolt/Top-AM-signee-headed-to-MLB-wont-play-for-Aggies-53318864

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we're going to get him signed. The last guy we didn't sign was Jonathan Hughes two years ago in the 2nd round and that was pretty dumb of him. We've seen us sign HS pitchers like Fenter, Hanifee, Hall and Myers.  

We can offer Conlon 513k over slot for about 922k total. He'd have to be a 1st or 2nd rd pick in 2-3 years to get more. That's a huge gamble for him to go to college.

ideally we could get him for 609k and be able to use the remaining 300k on Greg Jones or some other of the remaining unsigned guys. 

Hughes was injured. If Conlon is not signed, I imagine he has issues as well. His twitter no longer says  "In the Baltimore Orioles Organization"

16 hours ago, weams said:

The top Texas A & M guy Scherff got 700k after getting picked out of HS in rd. 5.  

700k doesn't seem like it would be too bad if Conlon signed for that.  It would still leave us around 300k to chase an overslot guy.  700k for Conlon and 425K for Greg Jones seems like it would be good for us.  

From what I was told, the Orioles are signing LHP Cameron Bishop of UC Irvine instead with the savings left over from the top 10 rounds.  Depending on how much we give him, we could have money left to sign another late round upside player as well, although likely not Logan Allen or Greg Jones.  Maybe Jason Willow?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Obando said:

From what I was told, the Orioles are signing LHP Cameron Bishop of UC Irvine instead with the savings left over from the top 10 rounds.  Depending on how much we give him, we could have money left to sign another late round upside player as well, although likely not Logan Allen or Greg Jones.  Maybe Jason Willow?

Thanks for the update.