Washington, not Alvarez possibly coming

Legend_Of_Joey

11 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Possibly, or one of the pitchers.

Reason being, if he does good, they might keep him on incase they need him quickly if Davis's injury flares up. Oblique strains aren't fun and can be tricky.

If the oblique injury takes time to heal, they have Pedro Alvarez for that, when it will be more worth the extra money the O's would have to pay out. Washington was up to allow Alvarez to work out of his slump while we learn how long Davis has to be sidelined.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess we're just going to have to disagree.  Washington was just the guy that was hitting the best in AAA and obviously we don't care about defense up here.  

Mullins could be a spark for us.  At least he brings a different skill set.  I don't think it's going to derail his career if he were to come up and OPS .600 for a few weeks.  Markakis only had 33 games in AA before he cracked the team.  

46 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Guess we're just going to have to disagree.  Washington was just the guy that was hitting the best in AAA and obviously we don't care about defense up here.  

Mullins could be a spark for us.  At least he brings a different skill set.  I don't think it's going to derail his career if he were to come up and OPS .600 for a few weeks.  Markakis only had 33 games in AA before he cracked the team.  

Yes, but he'd had 91 games at Frederick, too, and a more accomplished, consistent minor league career. He was also given the job out of spring training in 2006, rather than jerked around.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nick was also a first round pick.

Also true. I just took a look back. Nick is almost assuredly the most accomplished player from the first round of the 2003 draft.

If you count the supplemental picks, he's probably the second most accomplished... fortunately, we've got the other guy, too. Though we didn't draft him. Adam Jones.

3 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Also true. I just took a look back. Nick is almost assuredly the most accomplished player from the first round of the 2003 draft.

If you count the supplemental picks, he's probably the second most accomplished... fortunately, we've got the other guy, too. Though we didn't draft him. Adam Jones.

Nick was a signability pick.  No idea if he would have been first round otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nick was a signability pick.  No idea if he would have been first round otherwise.

I gave Google one shot, and 2003 seems too long ago to turn up many pre-draft resources.

I can say that Nick did turn out to be a rare wise move by the scouting department... Because most teams saw him entirely as a pitcher, and never as an outfielder. The O's disagreed, and it worked out pretty well.

So long as a guy has the talent, signability isn't always a bad thing. A lot of folks poo pooed the Astros taking Carlos Correa No. 1 in 2012, because while he was viewed as a first-round talent, they said he only went there because the Astros didn't want to pay a college arm.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I remember reading here then and we were ecstatic to have him fall to us.  Wasn't Cinncy going to take him as a SP.  I was only like `17 then.  I don't remember.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I remember reading here then and we were ecstatic to have him fall to us.  Wasn't Cinncy going to take him as a SP.  I was only like `17 then.  I don't remember.  

Cincinnati drafted him twice as a starting pitcher, and he declined to sign both times. I'm not sure if they'd have hazarded a third try on him or not.

On 6/15/2017 at 2:09 PM, Can_of_corn said:

He absolutely was a 1st round pick.    Top half for sure.  FWIW, he has the second highest career WAR of any player chosen in the 1st round of the 2003 draft.    Adam Jones is the highest, 0.3 WAR ahead of Nick.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He absolutely was a 1st round pick.    Top half for sure.  FWIW, he has the second highest career WAR of any player chosen in the 1st round of the 2003 draft.    Adam Jones is the highest, 0.3 WAR ahead of Nick.

I wasn't following the draft that year, why are you so sure?

A quick look didn't give me any mock drafts to look at.

This was his MLB writeup:  " COMMENT: Very athletic LHP with quick arm. Fastball, arm side run. Works in and out with ability to locate. Hard, down, power curveball other strikes pitch. Good arm speed on sinking changeup. Steady improvement. Quiet, all business on the mound with a streak of nasty in him. Can reach back. Doesn't like to lose. "

• 3 weeks later...

Archived