Is it time for Weiters to go to Bowie?

IrishOriole

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A .219 average in his last 10 games doesn't really warrant a promotion in my opinion, not yet at least. In his last seven games, Matt is 2-for-19 (.105). With 12 straight losses, it's obvious his numbers aren't the only one slipping.

Honestly, I don't think Wieters' bat is deciding the timing of his promotion. He's ready to face AA pitching now - thats clear even if he is in a slump over his last 10 games. I think what is driving the decision on timing is a more general desire to make most promotions at a specific time when a number of movements up and down can be coordinated, plus the desire to let Wieters focus on defense, working with pitchers and adjusting to the rigors of pro ball.

The A+ all-star game is in two weeks and I'm pretty sure that will be the time Wieters moves up.

Exactly. I bought tickets to the All-Star game in Myrtle Beach and I will be very disappointed if Weiters and Arrieta are not there at this point only three weeks away.

Yeah, what's three additional weeks to adjust to AA hitting and maybe show he's ready for the majors that much sooner as long as your tickets are still good and he gets a free couple days in Myrtle Beach :laughlol:

Yeah, what's three additional weeks to adjust to AA hitting and maybe show he's ready for the majors that much sooner as long as your tickets are still good and he gets a free couple days in Myrtle Beach :laughlol:

If he REALLY, TRULY NEEDS those extra three weeks then he isn't the prospect we think he is and he won't be our 2009 starting catcher. A little sarcasm, of course.

I mean seriously, holding him down for the all-star game does nothing to slow his progress or his timetable to the major leagues.

If he REALLY, TRULY NEEDS those extra three weeks then he isn't the prospect we think he is and he won't be our 2009 starting catcher. A little sarcasm, of course.

I mean seriously, holding him down for the all-star game doesn't nothing to slow his progress or his timetable to the major leagues.

How is it going to slow his progress? For a player in his first season of pro ball to play half a season in Frederick and then half a season in Bowie, he should be on course to start next season in Norfolk or even Camden Yards. These next three weeks will not make him any more or less likely to be the O's starting catcher on opening day next season.

The bottom line is pitchers have adjusted to Weiters, but Weiters has not adjusted to the pitchers. If he continues to slump the Orioles would be wise to leave him in High A until he figures out how to adjust to pitchers.

This is a gross overreaction to a 10-day stretch where Wieters has gone a little cold. In his "cold" stretch, Wieters still has a .333 OBP and has been on base in 8 of 10 games (in one of the two games he wasn't on base, he only had one plate appearance). To say the pitchers have adjusted to him but he hasn't adjusted back, based on that, is ridiculous.

Wieters hit .338/.419/.606 in April.

Wieters hit .337/.442/.579 in May.

Wieters has played 4 games in June.

Honestly, if anyone needs to move up it is Arrieta.

I just don't get why he and Wieters are still stuck in Frederick.

It's not like they're going to the show... the jump from High A to AA ain't much.

I'm presuming they're waiting until they can replace them the Keys' roster with some draft picks? I honestly have no idea.

I just don't get why he and Wieters are still stuck in Frederick.

It's not like they're going to the show... the jump from High A to AA ain't much.

I'm presuming they're waiting until they can replace them the Keys' roster with some draft picks? I honestly have no idea.

A couple of things. High A to AA is probably the biggest single jump in the development system. AA is where they start to scout and actually play to the opposition. And where there are a lot of almost ready prospects with a few solid career players.

Also, it is a good thing to let them reap some rewards. Waiting until the Single A All Star game gives them the chance to be rewarded rather than fighting to get acclimated to the next level while lesser players are given accolades at an All Star game. You foster success by given them a taste of it. Seemed to work okay for Markakis, BTW.

Finally, what is the rush? This is the first year. And guys like Wieters are playing more games than they ever had. It is a long season. And, when you factor that a catcher has the most to learn at each level, why rush him? If he winds up on the ML roster next year to start the season, that will either be the result of a cannot-be-denied spring training next year or organizational panic. I hope we are beyond those kind of panic moves.

Half a season at Frederick, half a season at Bowie then start next year at Bowie or Norfolk with Baltimore in September 2009 is pretty damned fast especially for a catcher.

Of course, not posting much here but reading a lot, I should be used to the desire to move guys too quickly.

The bottom line is pitchers have adjusted to Weiters, but Weiters has not adjusted to the pitchers.

Tonight, 4 for 5. How's that for an adjustment. Now hitting .333 in June to go with .337 and .338 in April and May.

Archived