Duquette Undecided about the Deadline

Lucky_13

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

That's a lot to give up and expect to play .500 baseball. You've basically gutted the bullpen and subtracted two key offensive pieces. Kim would be no loss. Overall, under that scenario, I would expect you finish the rebuild and move Machado and Trumbo and see if Jones would agree to be traded.

Well, Britton was hurt most of the first half and Brach has blown some saves -- Givens or O'Day can do just as well.  Joseph can take over much of Castillo's ABs and provide better defense.  Smith doesn't really have a replacement.  But it all comes down to whether the starting pitching improves.  Get some rotation help and you can recoup the losses -- or even improve if Gausman or Tillman have a better second half.

All that said, I agree with your sentiment.  Especially if they find a way to trade Trumbo to free up Mancini.

5 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Dan has even come out and said that ownership won't give anything to do in the international market. Not his fault at all. 

Reminds me of a scene from The Last King of Scotland.

Yes, you are my advisor. You are the only one I can trust in here. You should have told me not to throw the Asians out, in the first place.

I DID!

But you did not persuade me, Nicholas. You did not persuade me!

Dan's job is to persuade ownership.

8 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Dan has even come out and said that ownership won't give anything to do in the international market. Not his fault at all. 

I wasn't assigning blame except to criticize the organizational strategy.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Dan's job is to persuade ownership.

Absolutely. But....I have trouble believing  Duquette is fully invested in his role. Otherwise, how hard would it be to pursue a solid strategy with regards, not only to the international market in Latin America, but also Asian markets and posting fees?

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Absolutely. But....I have trouble believing  Duquette is fully invested in his role. Otherwise, how hard would it be to pursue a solid strategy with regards, not only to the international market in Latin America, but also Asian markets and posting fees?

I would think instead of paying $10M a year for mediocre pitchers like Gallardo, Miley, Ubaldo; Duquette could make a case for investing those funds into player development international and domestic.  

Has he made this argument to ownership?  If I had to guess, I'd say no.  

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Big help to the rotation.

The rays are contending. They would really have to fall off in the next few weeks to trade Cobb.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=bal

Looking at the list I guess I'd give up Stewart? but even then I'd be hesitant. I don't want to give up any of the guys in our top 10 or Mullins or Wells. So pass.  

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would think instead of paying $10M a year for mediocre pitchers like Gallardo, Miley, Ubaldo; Duquette could make a case for investing those funds into player development international and domestic.  

Has he made this argument to ownership?  If I had to guess, I'd say no.  

He came in talking about those goals and wanting to invest in a baseball academy down south, but as we all see, that's not the case.  I'm sure he made the case to ownership, and they've emphatically said no.  It's going to be a struggle to eventually replace Duquette if Angelos (or his son) continue this line of thinking.  No quality GM candidate is going to want to be told they can't investigate all avenues for improving their team.

Archived