Fivethirtyeight.com: Cal the most undeserving all-star

Frobby

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Also, keep in mind that every team must have a representative. I bet, quite a few of those years, no one else was worthy to go.

The article is only about the starters selected by the fans, not the subs.   

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The article is only about the starters selected by the fans, not the subs.   

Any idea if the year he won the MVP (ARod deferring to Cal in first to play SS), he was not "deserving" to be so honored as ASG 3B?  

Edit:  He won in 2001 but graph shows that ARod had a far superior WAR (for the season - 11.5 vs. 0.0 for Cal) and both at SS.  We know, of course, that Cal made it as a 3B though, so this comparison is not accurate. (Troy Glaus had 5.2 WAR for season)

Rosenthal's article on that game is a good read:

"Rodriguez returned to short in the second inning. Ripken’s home run came in the third, off of the Dodgers’ Chan Ho Park. Ripken was 40 then, soon to turn 41. He became the oldest player to hit a home run in an All-Star Game, and the first AL player to be named MVP of the All-Star Game twice.

Yet, this was not 1991, Ripken’s finest offensive season. This was 2001, and Ripken entered the All-Star break hitting just .240 with four home runs and 28 RBI. Looking at the numbers, watching him in the twilight of his career, few would have guessed that he would produce a stirring All-Star sendoff.

But that’s exactly what he did.

In the days and weeks that followed, some speculated that Park grooved the pitch to Ripken, making it easier for the Iron Man to deliver his special moment. Much as I relish conspiracy theories, this one made little sense.

Park was pitching in his first All Star-Game. He would never appear in another one. Ripken hit the first pitch that Park threw.

Does anyone seriously believe that Park wanted to give up a homer on his first pitch as an All-Star? Heck, even if he did groove the pitch, Ripken still had to strike the ball and hit it out of pitcher-friendly Safeco Field. Not so easy.

Anyway, Ripken’s home run broke a scoreless tie, and the AL ended up winning, 4-1."

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/baltimore-orioles-cal-ripken-all-star-game-homer-in-2001-not-even-his-best-062211

16 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

It's the All STAR team, not the All Stats team. If the fans wanted to see Cal then so be it. It is primarily and literally a popularity contest. I've never understood the all star angst of some fans. 

Me neither.  

Archived