Former Orioles Executive Kevin Malone: Orioles Should 'Go For It,' Keep Top Players

PressBoxOnline

17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

No offense to Kevin,  but it's sounds like there is a reason he's been out of baseball so long. Seems to contradict himself by saying the team should retool and go for it. Retool with what? He doesn't address the very real starting pitching problem by extending Machado and Britton, nor does it address the lack of shortstop or infield prospects in the system to retool. 

Glad he's no longer our GM!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Again, they have the second worst run differential in the AL.  To think this team should be a buyer is either insanity or stupidity, imo.      

Hypothetically, let's say they go 10-2 over their next 12 games and are within a game or two of the WC.     However, their run differential is still negative.     Would you still be in the camp that they shouldn't be buyers?

I'm definitely not in favor of trading anyone near the top of our prospect rankings, but under the circumstances I described, I might be convinced to trade someone outside the top 8 or so if it met a need.

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

No offense to Kevin,  but it's sounds like there is a reason he's been out of baseball so long. Seems to contradict himself by saying the team should retool and go for it. Retool with what? He doesn't address the very real starting pitching problem by extending Machado and Britton, nor does it address the lack of shortstop or infield prospects in the system to retool. 

Yeah, I think Kevin is a fine guy, but he is off base here. I applaud the job the White Sox are doing in acquiring top prospects. 

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hypothetically, let's say they go 10-2 over their next 12 games and are within a game or two of the WC.     However, their run differential is still negative.     Would you still be in the camp that they shouldn't be buyers?

I'm definitely not in favor of trading anyone near the top of our prospect rankings, but under the circumstances I described, I might be convinced to trade someone outside the top 8 or so if it met a need.

Even as a hypothetical this seems far fetched.

4 minutes ago, Woody Held said:

The first three series after the break are the Cubs, Texas and Houston.    I think this will be mute pretty quickly

This is my feeling. They have to go 10-6 just to get back to .500. before the deadline. Don't see it happening against those three teams plus the Rays. 

6 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

This is my feeling. They have to go 10-6 just to get back to .500. before the deadline. Don't see it happening against those three teams plus the Rays. 

But if it does happen?

Just now, LA2 said:

But if it does happen?

If it happens I do the following 

See what it takes to get Ivan Nova, if not Scott Feldman 

Trade for R.A. Dickey just for fun 

See if I can get Jarred Dyson so I can have an actual OF in LF 

I buckle my seat belt, hope the additions stabilize the rotation, hope the bullpen returns the form, cross my fingers, and hope to hear Joe Buck tell me the Orioles just won the pennant in October. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

From what I've read, run differential is a better predictor of what a team will do than its current record, so barring some exceptional run by the O's, I won't change my view.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

From what I've read, run differential is a better predictor of what a team will do than its current record, so barring some exceptional run by the O's, I won't change my view.  

It may be a "better" predicter, but is it a "good" one?   The Yankees were outscored in 2013, 2014 and 2016, and yet had a winning record in each of those seasons, and the following ones.

I keep it pretty simple.    The team has a poor run differential because the pitching has been absolutely terrible.    If events occur that convince me the pitching will stop being terrible, then I won't find run differential to be that predictive.    

Archived