13-Game Countdown to D-Day (Decision Day)

mdbdotcom

7 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Let's hope the 2017 deadline gets better results then the 2000 one. 

10 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

While I'm skeptical that Angelos will allow a sell off, it has been done. They made 6 trades of veterans over 3 days in 2000. I can't remember if there were similar circumstances then (into the 3rd year of the "dark years" is all I remember), but here's what happened then.

They were 12 to 14  games under .500 then, in that 3 day span of the trades. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2000-transactions.shtml

Yeah, they didn't have a Manny or Britton in that bunch then to deal and the long term benefit was Mora. And the losing continued. 

74-88 in 2000. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

They'll do nothing or buy a washed up veteran pitcher

They'll spin that this was a group down year exacerbated by multiple injuries, and sell the concept that the same old tired roster + a washed up starting pitcher or two will rebound and make the playoff next year. Manny & Britton will play to FA, there will be talk of making offers and then they will both leave, the O's getting a couple comp picks (assuming Britton stays healthy).

Only way this is not true is if DD is fired

You gonna fire the owner?  DD has a lot of blame but you can not ignore the owner. He is pulling the strings. DD is the employee. He does what his boss wants. Angelos meddled before. Long before DD. So I don't think it is quite fair to blame DD for everything. But that seems to be your MO. 

1 hour ago, NashLumber said:

While I'm skeptical that Angelos will allow a sell off, it has been done. They made 6 trades of veterans over 3 days in 2000. I can't remember if there were similar circumstances then (into the 3rd year of the "dark years" is all I remember), but here's what happened then.

They were 12 to 14 games under .500 then, in that 3 day span of the trades. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2000-transactions.shtml

What is interesting about that time frame and those transactions is the Orioles traded 6 veterans...Bordick, Will Clark, Charles Johnson, Harold Baines, B.J. Surhoff, Mike Timlin and received 15 prospects in return.   Out of those 15, exactly one provided any return to speak of at the major league level...Melvin Mora came as a prospect in the Bordick trade to the Mets.   So...hopefully if DD is doing the dealing, he does better than that kind of return.  

2 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

And to me that's puts DD between a rock and a hard place. Team needs sell and Angelos won't allow it. We might have to be preparerd for a disappointing offseason and  a disappointing 2018. 

And perhaps for an even more disappointing 2019-2025. 

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

What is interesting about that time frame and those transactions is the Orioles traded 6 veterans...Bordick, Will Clark, Charles Johnson, Harold Baines, B.J. Surhoff, Mike Timlin and received 15 prospects in return.   Out of those 15, exactly one provided any return to speak of at the major league level...Melvin Mora came as a prospect in the Bordick trade to the Mets.   So...hopefully if DD is doing the dealing, he does better than that kind of return.  

`My opinion as well (earlier up the page). 

1 hour ago, NashLumber said:

Yeah, they didn't have a Manny or Britton in that bunch then to deal and the long term benefit was Mora. And the losing continued. 

74-88 in 2000. 

Really, the analogous year was 1998.    They had some great assets at the time, and if they'd started a rebuild then, it probably could have been done in 2-3 years.    

Man, read the transactions for the 2000 offseason. That's what sunk us. Grant free agency to Mussina. Traded Jayson Werth away for nothing. Signed David Segui. We resigned Bordick, so that was a great trade. Got Melvin Mora and got Bordick back. This one is my favourite though:

Before 2001 Season

Jose Herrera sent to ??? in an unknown transaction.

I don't see a big selloff coming this year. Too many players having down years. Need for some of them to rebound before they bring back anything worthwhile. They could sell high on Schoop, but do you really want them to? He won't be a free agent until after the 2019 season. Could be more of an extension candidate.

11 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I don't see a big selloff coming this year. Too many players having down years. Need for some of them to rebound before they bring back anything worthwhile. They could sell high on Schoop, but do you really want them to? He won't be a free agent until after the 2019 season. Could be more of an extension candidate.

I've seen this posted before. Do you really think Machado is less likely to command as much in trade because his numbers are down? I don't. 

The only person I'd say is a liability is Tillman. Trumbo I've never considered valuable.

Of course, that's not to say the Orioles should sell no matter what. Selling high would be a novelty.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

I've seen this posted before. Do you really think Machado is less likely to command as much in trade because his numbers are down? I don't. 

The only person I'd say is a liability is Tillman. Trumbo I've never considered valuable.

Of course, that's not to say the Orioles should sell no matter what. Selling high would be a novelty.

I think Machado would bring back less than he would have if traded after last season, and he should.

12 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'm not sure anyone is seriously thinking we'll sell everyone off. But if we do decide to sell, I'd imagine a couple of Britton, Brach, Smith, Castillo, etc. get moved.

Just now, ISU94 said:

I'm not sure anyone is seriously thinking we'll sell everyone off. But if we do decide to sell, I'd imagine a couple of Britton, Brach, Smith, Castillo, etc. get moved.

Blow it up! No one is untouchable.

Ok, got that out, moving on.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

Blow it up! No one is untouchable.

Ok, got that out, moving on.

No one is, but Machado is likely going to require a massive package and isn't expiring so the likelyhood of him getting moved I'd say isn't THAT likely. Trumbo/Davis deals probably make it so they don't move. Schoop I think is more of an extension candidate. Basically leaves guys who are expiring/RP's who imo are the most likely to be dealt.

4 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Guessing Britton would be the only one in that group who would bring back anyone worth acquiring.

Archived