POLL: Sell, buy, stand pat?

nsw

Sell, buy, stand pat?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. The O's are 4 games back in the WC behind 7 other teams (as of 7/15 pre-game). If the O's are still 4 games back in the WC behind 7 other teams on 7/31, we should:

• Sell everything that isn't nailed down. We had our shots with this squad.
    • Stand pat -- Crush is coming back and our pitching HAS to regress upwards, right?
    • Buy -- it's ain't over til it's over.

This poll is closed to new votes

There needs to be a retool option, because that is what is going to happen. If we just had a couple more pitchers capable of going 6 innings we would probably be tied with Tampa now. I don't see DD and Angelos going for a complete rebuild. Just not in their personalities, and DD is still under contract.

Trade Britton for a MLB ready backend SP. See if we can get a bullpen arm for Trumbo.

Maybe bring in Eduardo Nunez for 3B/2B, move Manny to SS. Sign Cobb or Lance Lynn. That can be done with the money we are clearing from Ubaldo, JJ, and Kim. 

Shore up the pitchers, hope that Tillman rebounds. That might be enough to get back in the wild card.

I'd sell Castillo, Miley, Smith, and Trumbo or Davis if you could unload the contracts.  I don't sell Manny or Britton.  I force feed Sisco, Hays, Mullins, and Scott.  I eval rest of year and see what starters I can add for 2018.  I sign Manny cause I don't trade guys that project as HoF players. I also completely revamp our minor league pitching development. 

I have a different opinion every five minutes. 

If we were to try to retool for 2018, we would need:

1. A starting outfielder (preferably a CF so Adam could be moved to RF; Hays and Mullins could be candidates)
  2. A SS or 3B (Manny could play the other)
  3. 3 starting pitchers who don't suck

That's not a lot of position player needs, assuming Joseph  and Sisco can do an adequate job behind the plate

#3 is the soul-crusher. Makes me think we really do need to rebuild.

But I am leery of beginning a rebuild with a lame-duck GM and manager. I don't expect DD to be around after 2018 (they probably won't ask, and he wouldn't accept if they did), so I don't think he's the right person to start a long term rebuild. As for Buck, I'm assuming the O's will offer him an extension, but he might prefer to hang 'em up than to start over. Some speculate that he could take over for Duquette. Maybe, but if so, it should happen after this season, and I doubt that it will.

So, my guess is that we might trade some guys like Brach, Smith and Castillo but not go into a deep rebuild.

Maybe they'll bring in a new pitching coach and hope that McDowell has been the problem.

It's a frustrating season to be an O's fan, for sure.

I'll stick with the same thing that's been obvious for a month, sell. 

Find out if Manny will sign long term, if you can't get him to agree to a number, byebye. Keeping Manny would be ideal but selling beats a compensatory draft pick.

Sell at high value, I'd have sold Tillman years ago so I'd have missed his best years but I'd have something for him. Britton was good to sell this time last year, in the offseason & now. Brach byebye. Givens is probably our 4th most valuable major league piece that's ready to contribute today...sell him yesterday. Throwing 100 with great numbers v lefties & righties these days? Cheap. That's a fine piece to trade right there. Let the bidding begin.

40 minutes ago, brooksfrankjim said:

I'd sell Castillo, Miley, Smith, and Trumbo or Davis if you could unload the contracts.  I don't sell Manny or Britton.  I force feed Sisco, Hays, Mullins, and Scott.  I eval rest of year and see what starters I can add for 2018.  I sign Manny cause I don't trade guys that project as HoF players. I also completely revamp our minor league pitching development. 

You force feed them...mlb pitching? I hope not.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

There needs to be a retool option, because that is what is going to happen. If we just had a couple more pitchers capable of going 6 innings we would probably be tied with Tampa now. I don't see DD and Angelos going for a complete rebuild. Just not in their personalities, and DD is still under contract.

Trade Britton for a MLB ready backend SP. See if we can get a bullpen arm for Trumbo.

Maybe bring in Eduardo Nunez for 3B/2B, move Manny to SS. Sign Cobb or Lance Lynn. That can be done with the money we are clearing from Ubaldo, JJ, and Kim. 

Shore up the pitchers, hope that Tillman rebounds. That might be enough to get back in the wild card.

Britton for a back end rotation arm? That's the worst case scenario. We have 8 of those already. You trade Britton for upside. What do we need a back end rotation arm for? To go 5 innings and hand it over to a pen without Britton? ?

2 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

Britton for a back end rotation arm? That's the worst case scenario. We have 8 of those already. You trade Britton for upside. What do we need a back end rotation arm for? To go 5 innings and hand it over to a pen without Britton? ?

Have you seen the back end of our rotation? What if I say good back end of rotation arm? What are you expecting for Britton coming off the DL with an arm-related injury?

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I have a different opinion every five minutes. 

If we were to try to retool for 2018, we would need:

1. A starting outfielder (preferably a CF so Adam could be moved to RF; Hays and Mullins could be candidates)
  2. A SS or 3B (Manny could play the other)
  3. 3 starting pitchers who don't suck

That's not a lot of position player needs, assuming Joseph  and Sisco can do an adequate job behind the plate

#3 is the soul-crusher. Makes me think we really do need to rebuild.

But I am leery of beginning a rebuild with a lame-duck GM and manager. I don't expect DD to be around after 2018 (they probably won't ask, and he wouldn't accept if they did), so I don't think he's the right person to start a long term rebuild. As for Buck, I'm assuming the O's will offer him an extension, but he might prefer to hang 'em up than to start over. Some speculate that he could take over for Duquette. Maybe, but if so, it should happen after this season, and I doubt that it will.

So, my guess is that we might trade some guys like Brach, Smith and Castillo but not go into a deep rebuild.

Maybe they'll bring in a new pitching coach and hope that McDowell has been the problem.

It's a frustrating season to be an O's fan, for sure.

I think you solve that by trading Britton/Brach and the free agents. They could net at least two young starting pitchers. Then you use the money to bring in a pitcher and possibly a cheap outfielder. 

4 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I think you solve that by trading Britton/Brach and the free agents. They could net at least two young starting pitchers. Then you use the money to bring in a pitcher and possibly a cheap outfielder. 

If you're trying to grow the arms, you need three prospects for every pitcher you hope will emerge. Pitching is a game of attrition. 

Archived