Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

4 hours ago, weams said:

While I don't really pay attention to what Gms say around the deadline ....If Duquette believes he needs just a little better starting pitching to really compete he needs to stop smoking crack.

i suspect this is  positioning  for close to ready SP prospects in trade discussions. This makes sense when discussing trades for Buehler, Alvarez, Martes,  Whitley from the Astros or Dodgers.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

While I don't really pay attention to what Gms say around the deadline ....If Duquette believes he needs just a little better starting pitching to really compete he needs to stop smoking crack.

i suspect this is  positioning  for close to ready SP prospects in trade discussions. This makes sense when discussing trades for Buehler, Alvarez, Martes,  Whitley from the Astros or Dodgers.

After watching Martes tonight, I might be happy w a straight up trade for Britton. ;)

4 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

After watching Martes tonight, I might be happy w a straight up trade for Britton. ;)

I like Martes but have assumed Whitley is the guy that is available. And the Orioles need too many players to do and straight up traded...even though I'm sure you were joking

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I like Martes but have assumed Whitley is the guy that is available. And the Orioles need too many players to do and straight up traded...even though I'm sure you were joking

Whitley and Tucker were the two that were off limits.

Duquette's comments should be taken in the context of having been made to an annual mid-season gathering of season ticket holders. In that situation, he's going to use every last sliver of hope to encourage them to believe there is still a chance. Meanwhile, he's holding onto that sliver himself as long as possible to give the team time to reverse direction, not wanting to pull the trigger too soon.

After last night's loss he's probably a little closer to pulling that trigger. As I wrote in another thread, I expect the decision on whether or not to sell or buy will be made right after the Rays series. 

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Duquette's comments should be taken in the context of having been made to an annual mid-season gathering of season ticket holders. In that situation, he's going to use every last sliver of hope to encourage them to believe there is still a chance. Meanwhile, he's holding onto that sliver himself as long as possible to give the team time to reverse direction, not wanting to pull the trigger too soon.

After last night's loss he's probably a little closer to pulling that trigger. As I wrote in another thread, I expect the decision on whether or not to sell or buy will be made right after the Rays series. 

I do too. 

4 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Whitley and Tucker were the two that were off limits.

Its easy for a GM to say that guys are off limits. But are they really? The Astros have been around since 1965 and have never won the World Series. They made it to the World Series in 2005 and got their lunch pail handed to them by the by the White Sox.

If I were ownership/management I'd have to be thinking that this might be my year. The Astros have 4 players in the top 60 of the midseason BB America rankings.

1) Tucker OF  #15

2) F Perez SP #32

3) Martes SP #48

4) Fisher OF #54

5) Whitley SP #58

So in essence they are loaded and can certainly afford to give up any of these guys. Also MLB has Paulino rated as their 3rd best prospect and 2nd best pitcher behind Martes. Looking at his numbers last season 1.98 through 3 MLB levels he's clearly a great prospect in the majors at 22. So he's been rushed imo

Perez's numbers look pretty impressive to me. So I can probably pick a pitcher not named Whitley along with another from this list. I have a hard time settling for Fisher though! Here is why ....The Orioles need players who can play the field and arent strikeout nightmares. His arm is rated poorly (40) for a MLB prospect. He does have Plus Power (55) and Plus Plus Speed (60).

Here is the bad news "He delivered 43 homers and 59 steals while reaching Triple-A in his first two full pro seasons, but he also struck out 286 times in 252 games."

Your limited where you can hide him in the OF since he can't throw and we already know the Orioles have far too many guys that K a ton. Tucker does not have nearly the power but he has solid defense and a Plus Plus Hit grade.

I'd Probably hold the line on Tucker, and ask for Perez instead of Whitley , along with Moran and someone like Valdez

If I can't get Tucker, I'd insist in Whitley as his replacement ...But might accept Martes or Perez and still feel good about it. Fisher is a guy I avoid for the reasons stated.

This all assumes that the nexus of decision making resides with Dan Duquette.  Yes,  he can decide that he wants to trade certain players.  But that assumes that other teams actually want to give anything of value for them...which is increasingly less and less likely, the worse the players targeted perform...Brach, Britton, Machado, etc.   I am very pessimistic that this is going to work out to our benefit in either the short or long term. 

54 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Its easy for a GM to say that guys are off limits. But are they really? The Astros have been around since 1965 and have never won the World Series. They made it to the World Series in 2005 and got their lunch pail handed to them by the by the White Sox.

If I were ownership/management I'd have to be thinking that this might be my year. The Astros have 4 players in the top 60 of the midseason BB America rankings.

1) Tucker OF  #15

2) F Perez SP #32

3) Martes SP #48

4) Fisher OF #54

5) Whitley SP #58

So in essence they are loaded and can certainly afford to give up any of these guys. Also MLB has Paulino rated as their 3rd best prospect and 2nd best pitcher behind Martes. Looking at his numbers last season 1.98 through 3 MLB levels he's clearly a great prospect in the majors at 22. So he's been rushed imo

Perez's numbers look pretty impressive to me. So I can probably pick a pitcher not named Whitley along with another from this list. I have a hard time settling for Fisher though! Here is why ....The Orioles need players who can play the field and arent strikeout nightmares. His arm is rated poorly (40) for a MLB prospect. He does have Plus Power (55) and Plus Plus Speed (60).

Here is the bad news "He delivered 43 homers and 59 steals while reaching Triple-A in his first two full pro seasons, but he also struck out 286 times in 252 games."

Your limited where you can hide him in the OF since he can't throw and we already know the Orioles have far too many guys that K a ton. Tucker does not have nearly the power but he has solid defense and a Plus Plus Hit grade.

I'd Probably hold the line on Tucker, and ask for Perez instead of Whitley , along with Moran and someone like Valdez

If I can't get Tucker, I'd insist in Whitley as his replacement ...But might accept Martes or Perez and still feel good about it. Fisher is a guy I avoid for the reasons stated.

These are good thoughts, but if I am the Astros GM, I probably have a different thought process.  Namely, my team is 17 games in front and is arguably the best team in MLB in 2017.  So if I have to stand pat with this group rather than give up major prospect studs to improve my team a little more, ummm...that will be ok.  

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

This all assumes that the nexus of decision making resides with Dan Duquette.  Yes,  he can decide that he wants to trade certain players.  But that assumes that other teams actually want to give anything of value for them...which is increasingly less and less likely, the worse the players targeted perform...Brach, Britton, Machado, etc.   I am very pessimistic that this is going to work out to our benefit in either the short or long term. 

So there are "bidding wars" for players that nobody wants?

Brach pitched in a nonsave hold situation last night. Britton has looked good for the most part since returning.

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

These are good thoughts, but if I am the Astros GM, I probably have a different thought process.  Namely, my team is 17 games in front and is arguably the best team in MLB in 2017.  So if I have to stand pat with this group rather than give up major prospect studs to improve my team a little more, ummm...that will be ok.  

Did they say that in 2005? Are they better than the Dodgers? Beating the Red Sox or Yankees is no sure thing!

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I'm prepared for a whole lot of nothing.   My advice?   Temper your expectations 1,000 per cent.

This is always the possible outcome as we all know.

But statements about Britton by Olney "  teams are bidding against each other for Zach."

Olney certainly isn't on the Orioles payroll, and the article did not come from MASN.

Duquette should be holding out for the best deal. If the Astros take the position that they dont want to deal the going rate "Chapman deal plus" for Zach than get that deal from the Dodgers or someone else.

Doubt its true and since their team is loaded as mentioned and 17 games out front . But their division sucks

A few ideas that haven't been reported (yet).

Explore a Castillo trade with the Cubs. They've been looking for a back up catcher ever since they released Montero. Supposedly they've been talking to the Tigers about Avila. Why can't we get in on this action. Target Candelairo.

Explore a Britton trade with the Cardinals. Their closer situation is a mess. They're only 4 1/2 back...a lock down closer could be ver appealing. Target Alex Reyes and Luke Weaver.

Swallow your pride and explore a Seth Smith trade with the Nats. They need OF depth. Target Juan Soto or one of their young ML bullp n arms like Glover or Kelly.

Archived