Schedule for the rest of the year

1968_bills_fan

I don't expect a lot of help from our schedule for the rest of the year.  It is pretty balanced and any chance of a wild card may have to go through the hot TB Rays.

1st place teams.....12 games................Astros (3),,,,Indians (3),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Red Sox (6)

2nd place teams...16 games................Marlins ((6).......................................Rays (10)  !!

3rd place teams..  15 games................Rangers (5),,, KC (3)........................Yankees (7)

4th place teams,,, 12 games.................Tigers (4),,,,Angels (6),,Pirates(2)........................

5th place teams......14 games...............Athletics(7)......................................BlueJays (7)

There might be some hope.   There are 23 games against good AL east teams that will be hard.   But the Astros, might just be playing exibition ball for the rest of the regular season and some of the other divisions are a lot weaker than the AL east.    If the Rays are for real, then with 10 games agaisnt them, we are dead.

How are those trade talks coming along?

25 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Very "do-able", as Cumberbundy says, (sic) "B E L E I V E "!  Why Not?

I'd settle for going 6-4 over a 10-game stretch right now.    Win today and we're at .500 post-ASB!    Woo hoo!

Another way of looking at it:

Teams 10+ games over .500:  9 (Hou 3, Bos 6)

Teams 5-9 games over .500:   10 (TB)

Teams within 4 games of .500 either way:   24  (Cle 3, NYY 7, KC 3, Tex 5, LAA 6)

Teams 5+ games under .500:  20  (Pit 2, Oak 7, Tor 7, Det 4)

After this weekend, we'll have just 16 of our last 58 games against really elite teams, while 22 will be vs teams that are .500ish, and 20 will be vs teams that are worse than us.  

That's a very favorable schedule, a talented team could really make hay with that.   It remains to be seen if we are talented enough to do that.

1 hour ago, 1968_bills_fan said:

I don't expect a lot of help from our schedule for the rest of the year.  It is pretty balanced and any chance of a wild card may have to go through the hot TB Rays.

1st place teams.....12 games................Astros (3),,,,Indians (3),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Red Sox (6)

2nd place teams...16 games................Marlins ((6).......................................Rays (10)  !!

3rd place teams..  15 games................Rangers (5),,, KC (3)........................Yankees (7)

4th place teams,,, 12 games.................Tigers (4),,,,Angels (6),,Pirates(2)........................

5th place teams......14 games...............Athletics(7)......................................BlueJays (7)

There might be some hope.   There are 23 games against good AL east teams that will be hard.   But the Astros, might just be playing exibition ball for the rest of the regular season and some of the other divisions are a lot weaker than the AL east.    If the Rays are for real, then with 10 games agaisnt them, we are dead.

How are those trade talks coming along?

Forget any kind playoffs for the O's. 

The soft August schedule is the only reason I would continue to entertain ideas of a possible playoff spot, and that's only IF they somehow make it back above .500 before the end of July and decide not to sell.

And selling is what I think they should do. 

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Correa is out for the Hou series. Maybe Springer too. We get some breaks in the SP too. 

The schedule in August is favorable. Especially if a lot of those teams sell. Just depends on how much we sell or what we get back  

What's up with Springer? Hadn't heard anything about that and it looks like he's in the lineup today. 

12 hours ago, SteveA said:

Another way of looking at it:

Teams 10+ games over .500:  9 (Hou 3, Bos 6)

Teams 5-9 games over .500:   10 (TB)

Teams within 4 games of .500 either way:   24  (Cle 3, NYY 7, KC 3, Tex 5, LAA 6)

Teams 5+ games under .500:  20  (Pit 2, Oak 7, Tor 7, Det 4)

After this weekend, we'll have just 16 of our last 58 games against really elite teams, while 22 will be vs teams that are .500ish, and 20 will be vs teams that are worse than us.  

That's a very favorable schedule, a talented team could really make hay with that.   It remains to be seen if we are talented enough to do that.

I hear you but the following bad news just creeps in.  Other than the Astros (only 3 games) and maybe the A's and Jays,  the balance in the rest of the league really hurts us.  It is true that even for the bottom of the heap teams, the individual players are playing at least for themselves and the future of their careers.  But this year, most of the teams are still (with some degree of realism) in the hunt for a wild card or even divisional winner spot.   There is a high WTFAWPF metric for the middle of the pack teams and this doesn't help the birds.

Archived