Santander

OriolesMagic83

Just now, thezeroes said:

I do not think one relates to the other if you are looking for Building Blocks.  Why would you mention "Trade Value" on a 24 year old building block.  IF the rebuild is three to five years , Santander will be in his prime and a Free Agent in 2024.

The reason I mention it is because it is entirely possible to have value to a team without having any trade value. Villar and Núñez Are each a case in point, for example.

Having trade value doesn’t mean we will trade him, or we should trade him, only that we can. And it increases our options.

Finally, although I think he’s a no brainer for next years team, I’m not at all sure he is a building block, i.e. a cornerstone of our next contending team. He may be, but that remains to be seen, Which is true of everybody we currently have.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Which is true of everybody we currently have.

And everybody we get/sign.

The reason I mention the part of trade value is that nobody would give enough back for a 5 year controllable player that has shown the improvement that Santander has.  Would he be asked for in trades?? Yes, asked for but the demand for players in return would exceed the chance to trade him.

4 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

And everybody we get/sign.

The reason I mention the part of trade value is that nobody would give enough back for a 5 year controllable player that has shown the improvement that Santander has.  Would he be asked for in trades?? Yes, asked for but the demand for players in return would exceed the chance to trade him.

Yes, you are exactly right. I don’t think he would bring back a “building block“ if he were traded he would bring back future value. And we are assuming that if he were traded he would bring back greater future value than his own.

As I said, I’m not saying we should or will, but it is significant that we can.

34 minutes ago, Philip said:

Bright spots and surprises:

Means, Alberto, Santander, Severino.

Santander is the brightest, probably. A genuinely solid all-around player with a long future and real trade value.

I’d add Nunez and Villar. Villar is having a career year. Santander has been great. Earlier in this thread I wrote “20?”.  He’s looking at like 25 now. I like that he’s been doing it from both sides of the plate. 

vs RHP - .828 OPS

vs LHP - .884 OPS

This offense is pretty solid right now. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d add Nunez and Villar. Villar is having a career year. Santander has been great. Earlier in this thread I wrote “20?”.  He’s looking at like 25 now. I like that he’s been doing it from both sides of the plate. 

vs RHP - .828 OPS

vs LHP - .884 OPS

This offense is pretty solid right now. 

I like that, esp. considering how one-sided the O's other hitters (incl. so-called "switchhitters" like Mullins and Wilkerson) have been the last year or two.

o

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 9/03) )))))) [Game One]

NUMBER 17

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER

o

2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 9/03) )))))) [Game One]

NUMBER 17

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER

o

Just saw the replay of his line drive. BRob said it was 112 mph! :eek:

• Thanks 2

o

(vs. RANGERS, 9/06)

NUMBER 18

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER

o

On 6/8/2019 at 6:15 PM, Il BuonO said:

With what do you disagree? I like Stewart more than most here, but Santander has an opportunity. That’s all I’m saying.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:18 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he does.  He's having a couple good games.  He's also got a 737 OPS in juiced ball Norfolk.  He isn't that good and it will show.

Folks get all excited when a guy comes up and has a few good games.

So....

?