Our Pitching Castoffs

rubberarm21

Pretty sure this post will get destroyed like anything posted by any outsider ever... but I wanted to check 2017 stats for some arms that we used to have around:

Orioles Castoffs W L ERA G ER IP WHIP Exit Notes
Parker Bridwell 5 1 2.83 9 17 54 1.185  traded for a player to be named later and cash considerations 
Zach Davies 12 5 4.42 22 61 124.1 1.416  traded for Gerardo Parra from Milwaukee 
Ariel Miranda 7 5 4.41 22 62 126.2 1.153  traded for Wade Miley 
Miguel Gonzalez 5 9 4.59 16 50 98 1.5  released by the Orioles on 4/1/16 
*Bud Norris 1 4 3.89 44 18 41.2 1.272  released by Orioles on 8/8/2015 
*David Hernandez 5 6 4.48 62 31 62.1 1.187  traded for Mark Reynolds (along with Kam Mickolio) 
Totals: 35 30 4.25 175 239 505.6 1.30  

Orioles Rotation W L ERA G ER IP WHIP  
Kevin Gausman 8 7 5.37 23 72 120.2 1.68  
Dylan Bundy 10 8 4.24 21 60 127.1 1.22  
Wade Miley 5 9 5.6 22 68 109.1 1.76  
Chris Tillman 1 6 7.65 14 55 64.2 1.98  
Ubaldo Jimenez 4 7 6.56 22 77 105.2 1.52  
Totals: 28 37 5.68 102 332 525.8 1.59  

* Bullpen - Relief Pitching                

Ask any question and its answered thoroughly. Disagree with Mods and they don't give a rip. Argue with long timers & get PMs with unsolicited help with. Start a thread & get a ton of feedback. Voice an opinion or 500 in a uniquely sometimes goofy way and get "likes", jokes, responses & great discussion. 

I must say, this place is spectacular. Knowledge, wit, passion, & answers to anything Os related almost instantly. 

?

From the article:

The Angels showed him a series of cut-up videos indicating the location of his pitches that the opposition had been hitting, and presented evidence that he would be better off throwing fewer fastballs.

That was a shock. For years, the Orioles had harped on the importance of establishing and locating four-seam fastballs. This season, he has halved his four-seam usage in favor of a cutter, slider and sinker, and six of his seven outings as an Angel have been successful.

Good grief. What is wrong with our organization's inability to develop pitchers?

32 minutes ago, cheecks said:

From the article:

The Angels showed him a series of cut-up videos indicating the location of his pitches that the opposition had been hitting, and presented evidence that he would be better off throwing fewer fastballs.

That was a shock. For years, the Orioles had harped on the importance of establishing and locating four-seam fastballs. This season, he has halved his four-seam usage in favor of a cutter, slider and sinker, and six of his seven outings as an Angel have been successful.

Good grief. What is wrong with our organization's inability to develop pitchers?

Nothing is wrong with their inability. They've been underwhelming in that department for a while. Pitching philosophy starts from the top down. Establishing the FB takes precedence over anyone using all their pitches from the very beginning of a game.

I remember watching Wieters call 12 FBs in a row at the start of a game and the pitcher (I think it was Tillman) throwing them. The results weren't good because I remember pleading for him to call anything else. Mind boggling.

Hitters will time pitches and if your philosophy is to "establish" one pitch in favor of others then you're giving the other team an advantage. Pitching is disrupting timing.

8 hours ago, cheecks said:

From the article:

Fully discussed in the prior thread.  

7 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Nothing is wrong with their inability. They've been underwhelming in that department for a while. Pitching philosophy starts from the top down. Establishing the FB takes precedence over anyone using all their pitches from the very beginning of a game.

I remember watching Wieters call 12 FBs in a row at the start of a game and the pitcher (I think it was Tillman) throwing them. The results weren't good because I remember pleading for him to call anything else. Mind boggling.

Hitters will time pitches and if your philosophy is to "establish" one pitch in favor of others then you're giving the other team an advantage. Pitching is disrupting timing.

The O's used to have good pitching development. Wish this regime could find out what happened and correct it. 

9 hours ago, cheecks said:

From the article:

I think the biggest problem is a zealous devotion to one approach for all pitchers (fastball location, TTP).  It just doesn't work that way.

We have (or have had) our share of castoffs from other organizations. Brach, O'Day, Bleier, Castro were all in other organizations, currently on the roster now. Tillman. Miguel Gonzalez was a castoff before we cast him off. Webb, Roe, Worley. What goes around comes around, you can't win them all. I would love to have Hader back, though.

4 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

The O's used to have good pitching development. Wish this regime could find out what happened and correct it. 

When, in the 70s? This organization has failed to produce young pitching for... well, most of my life. And I was born in the mid-80s.

Archived