Did we drop the ball on Isaac Galloway?

On Friday, Galloway said he made it known he would not attend college if offered a signing bonus around $200,000. The Florida Marlins promptly selected Galloway with the sixth pick of the eighth round.

"I got offered an amount of money that made me comfortable enough to go pro," Galloway said. "(Thursday) was a little disappointing. I didn't think it would get to the point where I'd fall. I didn't go in the rounds I would have liked to go but my heart was set on playing pro ball."

http://www.sbsun.com/sports/ci_9509017

We all thought he would be a tough sign. Turns out the Marlins are getting a 1st round talent in the 8th round. That's heartbreaking.

http://www.sbsun.com/sports/ci_9509017

We all thought he would be a tough sign. Turns out the Marlins are getting a 1st round talent in the 8th round. That's heartbreaking.

Galloway was perhaps among the most overrated players in the draft... at least by BA and a few other sites. He didn't come close in my personal top 50, and wouldn't have made it in my top 100. The reason is simple... he hasn't been able to hit a good fastball. Perfect Game rated him as a 3rd-4th rounder with good potential, but a raw bat.

Does this mean he won't be a fine big leaguer or that he has no chance? No, but he'll need to improve a great deal in learning to hit that pitch, or he'll be out of baseball in a couple of years.

For a guy to say he was going to college to refine his game and get better, and then turn around and say oh, well if someone paid me this much, I'd sign, in the middle of the draft, is a red flag.

His not being able to hit fastballs problem is a LARGE one. You can't teach bat speed. More than likely, he was really over rated, and realized he could play the raw-talented-mystery card and get more money than he could if he goes to college, gets exploited and then not even drafted later.

Archived