Six Games Who Starts?

Bahama O's Fan

Just now, Otter said:

I agree.  Bundy's gone through the whole year healthy so far, but no reason to risk anything in a meaningless game.  I know Buck likes to say that there is no evidence to support innings limits, but managing pitchers is about managing risk.  Ignoring a huge increase in innings doesn't guarantee an injury but it certainly increases the risk.  Risk vs. reward is very clear in this case.

I agree with Buck about the idea of strict innings limits, but unnecessary risk is unnecessary risk.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please do not pick up the option of Miley. Please. Pretty please. Pretty please with sugar on top. Don't do it.

Ynoa for Miley -- there you go, I just saved you 11 million bucks and made the staff better. Miley can not do what Ynoa did the other night (get thru the 8th inning) as his pitch count hits 100 (by the fifth or sixth) or he coughs up enough runs to not qualify for an Orioles Quality Start (less than six runs through six innings).

7 minutes ago, DFA_SR said:

Please do not pick up the option of Miley. Please. Pretty please. Pretty please with sugar on top. Don't do it.

Ynoa for Miley -- there you go, I just saved you 11 million bucks and made the staff better. Miley can not do what Ynoa did the other night (get thru the 8th inning) as his pitch count hits 100 (by the fifth or sixth) or he coughs up enough runs to not qualify for an Orioles Quality Start (less than six runs through six innings).

$11.5 mil, but who's counting? Well, except for that guy running the organization.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Follows up a nice game with a stinker. He fits right in with the current rotation.

Hello, 2018!

He needs to improve the change-up.  He can get by with the sinker, slider combo when he's got his best stuff.  He was a couple ticks off the fastball and the slider was flatter last night.  

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

He needs to improve the change-up.  He can get by with the sinker, slider combo when he's got his best stuff.  He was a couple ticks off the fastball and the slider was flatter last night.  

I said he needed to work on the CH when I first saw him. You're right, he has to be on if he's only got the two pitches working.

4 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Last three are Miley, Castro and Gausmen 

Hopefully the last time we see if Miley in an Orioles uniform. Excited to see Castro get a chance though

Happy to hear about Castro as well.  Would be great to see 5ish shutdown innings for him to finish the year.   

On 9/24/2017 at 0:40 PM, Il BuonO said:

$11.5 mil, but who's counting? Well, except for that guy running the organization.

As simple as it might seem to send left-hander Wade Miley into his offseason with a $500,000 buyout check in lieu of picking up his $12 million team option for 2018, the Orioles' offseason will be shaped in part by what they do with one of the few known, if not expensive, quantities that could return to their beleaguered rotation.

Once the season ends, the Orioles must decide whether it's worth bringing back a pitcher who has thrown the lowest percentage of pitches in the strike zone of any full-time major league starter just for the peace of mind that they only need to fill two rotation spots this winter instead of three.

"I haven't talked to them at all," Miley said. "I know on the business side, I haven't done my job. We'll see what happens. I don't know."

There's plenty to back up the idea that $12 million for a pitcher with a 5.52 ERA is an expenditure any team working with budgetary constraints would want to avoid. While Friday will be his 32nd start of the season — which represents a full workload for a modern-day starter, he'll need to pitch 8 2/3 innings to avoid being one of two major league pitchers this season with at least 30 starts but without the requisite innings to qualify for the ERA title. Miley has 153 1/3 innings this year and the minimum requirement is one inning per team game, 162.

For the Orioles' part, having Miley in the organization for two years can inform the decision.

"It's always helpful to have the player on your club,” Duquette said. “You get an opportunity to be around him, observe his work habits, how he goes about his business. You have a relationship with him.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-wade-miley-option-20170928-story.html

Archived