Orioles Will Face Tough Decision On Adam Jones After 2018 Season

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ScGO's said:

I think we would have to offer A) at least 5 years and B) probably somewhere near $75+ million.  If he moves to RF, I think this deal could be worth it for sure.  I'd say Cain's contract is a good starting point.

Adam's only worth half the WAR of Cain.  Why in the world would we pay him anywhere near the contract of Cain?

4 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Adam's only worth half the WAR of Cain.  Why in the world would we pay him anywhere near the contract of Cain?

That's what it would take to keep him.  Plus its essentially paying him what he has earned over the past few seasons, so I don't think the money is all that ridiculous.  The other deals being mentioned in this thread are laughable and shouldn't be offered as it will be seen as an insult and assure his departure. 

I don't mind a contract of 5/$75 as I think he can still put up 25-30 HRs and his dWar will go up if he moves to RF.  Some breaks and less wear and tear will probably help his numbers too. 

There is also the qualitative which will never be "measured" by the sabermetrics.  I love his attitude; he's a fighter; he's passionate; and there is no one on the team that will be able to replace that (I'd love to see what a pump up speech by Davis or Trumbo would look like) He's a natural leader, a Leo.  He ain't afraid to talk some $hit if it needs to be done.  Baltimore needs strong black leaders in this community to help influence the youth.  I love the guy and with all the money being freed up over the next two seasons, I don't think an investment like that hurts our payroll too bad either, especially if we have a wave of youth coming up.  Someone will need to help shape them into MLB players.

58 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think we would have to offer A) at least 5 years and B) probably somewhere near $75+ million.  If he moves to RF, I think this deal could be worth it for sure.  I'd say Cain's contract is a good starting point.

Cain’s been about 80% more valuable than Jones the last four years, and is a year younger than Jones will be when he is a free agent.   All his contract shows is that there’s no way Adam would get 5/$75 mm if he was a free agent this offseason.

53 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

That's what it would take to keep him.  Plus its essentially paying him what he has earned over the past few seasons, so I don't think the money is all that ridiculous.  The other deals being mentioned in this thread are laughable and shouldn't be offered as it will be seen as an insult and assure his departure. 

I don't mind a contract of 5/$75 as I think he can still put up 25-30 HRs and his dWar will go up if he moves to RF.  Some breaks and less wear and tear will probably help his numbers too. 

There is also the qualitative which will never be "measured" by the sabermetrics.  I love his attitude; he's a fighter; he's passionate; and there is no one on the team that will be able to replace that (I'd love to see what a pump up speech by Davis or Trumbo would look like) He's a natural leader, a Leo.  He ain't afraid to talk some $hit if it needs to be done.  Baltimore needs strong black leaders in this community to help influence the youth.  I love the guy and with all the money being freed up over the next two seasons, I don't think an investment like that hurts our payroll too bad either, especially if we have a wave of youth coming up.  Someone will need to help shape them into MLB players.

You don't overpay for the future based on the past. Jones is hands down my favorite current Oriole...that being said, I would be disappointed if they pay him 5 for $75 million. This team is going nowhere fast and there is zero reasons to pay that kind of money. Last place is last place.

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

You don't overpay for the future based on the past. Jones is hands down my favorite current Oriole...that being said, I would be disappointed if they pay him 5 for $75 million. This team is going nowhere fast and there is zero reasons to pay that kind of money. Last place is last place.

I wouldn't be surprised if Angelos does that. 

A 5 year deal for a player already clearly declining is a recipe for disaster. Jones has been an average to slightly below average starter recently. I don’t think you can assume moving him to a corner will improve his value. He runs like an average corner outfielder these days and his bat loses value moving to a corner as well. It’s likely the overall package is similar in value. I don’t think you can expect him to be worth more than about 4-5 wins over the next 3 years. 3/36 might be the highest I’d say wouldn’t be a crazy overpay. But, I’m on the record as being against paying free agent market rates for players who are likely to be below average. I’d be inclined to thank him for his productive years here and wish him well on his next contract. Not personal, I really enjoy Adam Jones the human being, but his value as a baseball player is shrinking.

17 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

16 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Angelos does that. 

I feel like the Trumbo, Davis, and O'day signings sour the idea of a Jones resign.  I didn't like any of those signings when they happened, but for me Jones is more valuable.  

I'm not saying Jones would get 5/$75 on the market, or that he is as valuable as Cain, but I still feel like that's what it will take for him to stay in Baltimore.  We just have to consider is the overpay all that bad for the team?  We would definitely have to stop signing our other aging vets to Davis and Trumbo like contracts and start investing in our youth more for a Jones signing to pay off in the long run.

15 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Once Adam Jones bat speed drops off he is done.  I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back at RF on a 3 year contract depending on the $$$.

Exactly, as Adam ages and loses his good bad speed his offensive production will fall off a cliff.  He's overly aggressive with poor plate discipline, but has been able to be productive due to a combination of athleticism/youth/bat speed/raw talent.  Once he starts to lose bat speed, he'll have to start cheating to get to the fastball.  I see similarities to JJ Hardy; once JJ Hardy lost his bat speed he went from a 25-30 HR guy to Mark Belanger very quickly.  Adam does not have the profile of a hitter who will age gracefully.  And adding in the below average defense, I don't want him resigned on any type of contract or at any position.  We finally have some good OF prospects; I'd rather be watching them play on league minimum salaries than overpaying for declining veterans' past performances.

Archived