Orioles Will Face Tough Decision On Adam Jones After 2018 Season

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

3 year, 15 per. A corner OF spot. And a solid shot at the Orioles HOF.

It seems pretty easy to just get something like that done, unless Jones has an inflated sense of what he thinks he can make on the open market. Even if the O's are holding off to give deference to a new GM, it seems to me that Jones should be an exception. Face of the franchise, valuable in the community, a veteran presence, etc. You can rebuild with a guy like that still around, if that's the plan, unless Jones doesn't want to sign until he knows what the plan is. As we all know, there's no plan. 

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

3 year, 15 per. A corner OF spot. And a solid shot at the Orioles HOF.

He’s a shoe-in for the Orioles’ HOF already, in the top 5-8 all-time in just about every cumulative offensive stat.

I don’t think I want Jones back if our young guys make good progress this year.    If he’s back, I think 3/$36 mm is about all he’s worth.   My guess is someone would pay him more.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s a shoe-in for the Orioles’ HOF already, in the top 5-8 all-time in just about every cumulative offensive stat.

I don’t think I want Jones back if our young guys make good progress this year.    If he’s back, I think 3/$36 mm is about all he’s worth.   My guess is someone would pay him more.

He is worth a lot more to the Orioles than he is to other teams.  I think if you let Adam go at this point no one is coming to the games.  

On 10/24/2017 at 1:57 PM, Ohfan67 said:

I am, pretty much regardless of salary in 2019. He's getting slower each year. His defense is already weak. It's only going to get worst. 

But wouldn't a move to right improve his D immediately? 

I'm not even a huge Adam Jones fan. I can kinda take him or leave him, mainly based on his middling CF defense and his maddening propensity to swing at bad pitches away (he still does that, right?). That said, he's a longtime Oriole... and a good veteran presence. If we could keep him, and move him to right or DH for the next 2-3 years... that'd be awesome. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think that's spot-on. For a guy who can legitimately hit in the 3, 6, 7 holes... and bring veteran stability... that's a decent deal. 

I think there's a general sense that the Orioles need to DO SOMETHING. I feel it, too. But I also think it's fueling a sense of moving on from Adam, even when we might not need to... and it might not be best for the team. 

Not a tough decision.  Let him go and rebuild with younger players (or better yet, when we're out of it in July, move him for some prospects).  You're got several possible OF candidates coming up soon.  Time to see what they can do after this year.

46 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I think that's spot-on. For a guy who can legitimately hit in the 3, 6, 7 holes... and bring veteran stability... that's a decent deal. 

I think there's a general sense that the Orioles need to DO SOMETHING. I feel it, too. But I also think it's fueling a sense of moving on from Adam, even when we might not need to... and it might not be best for the team. 

The only thing is, from a political point of view, could they really offer him a contract that’s less than Trumbo’s?

It reminds me of when Carl Pavano was signed by the Yankees for 4/$40 mm or so, and about two years in, Cashman made an offer to extend Mussina for 2/$19 mm or something like that.     Mussina’s response was, “Brian, there is no was you’re going to pay me less than Carl Pavano!”

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Oh I agree he already has the stats.  My real question is, how messy will the break up be if he is not resigned?  Adam is known to speak his mind, especially if he feels like he is being disrespected by a low ball offer.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I guess we'll find out. I definitely don't see him having a problem getting at least 3 years. Trumbo got 3 years and brings 1 single thing to the table. Cruz got 3 years.

Cruz got it because he was a stud and carried the O's for the second half of the season.  Trump got it because the O's were really stupid.  Did any other team offer him anything?  And how's that worked out?  I think they realize by now it was a mistake.  Hopefully the O's can learn from their mistakes and don't pander to fans, because that's a good way to drive this fan away.         

It's not a hard decision.  Wish him well and thank him for all he's done here.  There's no room for personal attachment here.  

The only reason to entertain keeping him is because this team is on the downslope and the FO might want to consider keeping a franchise face around to keep the casual fan happy.  

We'll see how he plays this year but there's no need to keep him around when this whole thing should be blown up.  

3 hours ago, cimota said:

He is worth a lot more to the Orioles than he is to other teams.  I think if you let Adam go at this point no one is coming to the games.  

Attendance has declined 3 straight years.   It will almost certainly decline again this year.

The ONLY way it will improve is if we put a winning team on the field.  (Well, if Baltimore's murder rate drops precipitously, or the Nationals move to Mexico City, that would help too).   But the only thing the Orioles can do to improve attendance is to put a winning team on the field.

I love Adam, but if we have a better chance of winning without him, I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Oh I agree he already has the stats.  My real question is, how messy will the break up be if he is not resigned?  Adam is known to speak his mind, especially if he feels like he is being disrespected by a low ball offer.

It’s possible Adam will say something if he feels disrespected.   The team won’t reciprocate, and it’s not a reason to keep him out of the Orioles HOF (which, by the way, is not run by the team).   http://www.orioleadvocates.org/orioles-hall-of-fame.html

5 hours ago, Pheasants said:

If he doesn't agree to right field, we should say goodbye.  And right now, he doesn't seem ready to consider it.

Well, right now, we don't have a center field option that is clearly better than Adam Jones, do we?

Archived