This Off Season Feels So Hopeless

Camden_yardbird

Hey gang.  Long time no see.  

I wouldn't say the offseason is "hopeless," it just won't be exciting.  The position players are pretty much all coming back, with the exception of Beef, so nothing to look for there.  The pitching was atrocious in 2017, but we all know the Orioles won't be going after the top free agents, and we won't make trades of Manny or Britton for starters, so we're probably looking at Gausman, Bundy, a reduced contract Tillman, and then some conbination of our Triple A fodder and late Winter low cost solutions.

A lot went wrong in 2017, but unfortunately, we're bringing back a nearly identicle team and "hoping" for better results.  Not sure that's how a winning organization would handle things, but we are who we are.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/31/2017 at 5:04 PM, wildcard said:

We don't know that yet.   Some O's players performed below their career avg last season.   If we get good results this year from the O's existing players, Bundy and Gausman step forward and the O's pick some good middle and back of the rotation talent then the O's will be contenders.

Well we pretty much do. If DD's idea is bring back Tillman and Miley and not get a pitcher that could help. I'm not talking top pitchers like Darvish. But why not Cobb or Lynn. Spend some damn money on good pitchers dammit. Wake up Mr. Angelos. You have money. Spend it the right way. 

16 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

No way I trade Givens unless you get a really good young prospect for him.  Givens isn't a free agent until 2022, I would deal Brach for the right price.  

Agree about trading Britton last off season, you could have landed a haul for him.  Most relievers have a limited shelf life of being elite, Mariano Rivera is the exception to the rule.  

Agreed, I would rather not trade Givens.  Also, didn't realize he had that much service time still, good to know.  That said, I would still trade him for a top 30 prospect.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Agreed, I would rather not trade Givens.  Also, didn't realize he had that much service time still, good to know.  That said, I would still trade him for a top 30 prospect.

Givens is the O's closer in 2019 after Britton leaves.

6 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

Hey gang.  Long time no see.  

I wouldn't say the offseason is "hopeless," it just won't be exciting.  The position players are pretty much all coming back, with the exception of Beef, so nothing to look for there.  The pitching was atrocious in 2017, but we all know the Orioles won't be going after the top free agents, and we won't make trades of Manny or Britton for starters, so we're probably looking at Gausman, Bundy, a reduced contract Tillman, and then some conbination of our Triple A fodder and late Winter low cost solutions.

A lot went wrong in 2017, but unfortunately, we're bringing back a nearly identicle team and "hoping" for better results.  Not sure that's how a winning organization would handle things, but we are who we are.  

The O's have 30m to spend.  They should be able to get some pitching for that amount of money.

Archived