Castillo declines option

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

He threw out 49% bc the one thing Buck insists our pitchers do well is with their time to the plate. It helped us out a lot too!

Ubaldo has one of the worst times to plate so getting 49% is amazing when he had to catch him in those starts.  It was like a track meet granted he didn't last long in his starts so that helped.

18 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

.282 average 49% throwing rate 20 homers don't mean anything?

This team has plenty of catchers who can hit with power/average, play great defense and give you 2 wins over not even a 100 games. Some of this stuff cracks me up I swear. 

I mean we didn't want to be stuck with a whole 1 year and 7m to pay for THAT now did we??? Really could have sunk us. 

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Ubaldo has one of the worst times to plate so getting 49% is amazing when he had to catch him in those starts.  It was like a track meet granted he didn't last long in his starts so that helped.

Castillo threw out 2 of 9 when Ubaldo was pitching.    Ubaldo had an 8.36 ERA when Castillo caught him, 5.88 when Joseph caught.   

10 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

This team has plenty of catchers who can hit with power/average, play great defense and give you 2 wins over not even a 100 games. Some of this stuff cracks me up I swear. 

I mean we didn't want to be stuck with a whole 1 year and 7m to pay for THAT now did we??? Really could have sunk us. 

I will take a strong defensive catcher with weak bat, like Dempsey, for my team, every day, and twice on Sunday.

He will keep more runs from being scored, then a hot bat and weak behind the plate will score.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I will take a strong defensive catcher with weak bat, like Dempsey, for my team, every day, and twice on Sunday.

He will keep more runs from being scored, then a hot bat and weak behind the plate will score.

So what metric are you using to make this determination that Castillo is not a good defensive catcher? I'd love to know, not seeing much to back that claim up. Would it be his top 5 CS% the last 2 years? His 1.7Dwar last 2 years? Oh that "framing" argument....middle of the pack there according to Baseball Prospectus. Matter of fact he is literally middle of the pack in every single metric there at the absolute worst. 

1 hour ago, TradeAngelos said:

So what metric are you using to make this determination that Castillo is not a good defensive catcher? I'd love to know, not seeing much to back that claim up. Would it be his top 5 CS% the last 2 years? His 1.7Dwar last 2 years? Oh that "framing" argument....middle of the pack there according to Baseball Prospectus. Matter of fact he is literally middle of the pack in every single metric there at the absolute worst. 

The issue is how the pitchers have performed when he’s behind the plate, compared to when he’s not.    There’s a 1.37 runs/game difference between Castillo and Joseph.      That’s not a trivial matter, and not one I’m willing to chalk up to pure coincidence.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

The issue is how the pitchers have performed when he’s behind the plate, compared to when he’s not.    There’s a 1.37 runs/game difference between Castillo and Joseph.      That’s not a trivial matter, and not one I’m willing to chalk up to pure coincidence.   

Especially when there's other supporting evidence from his time on the Diamondbacks.  Take a look at the first year he left, and how they kept nearly their entire starting rotation from the year before.  And look at how much they all improved the first year he left town.   

I don't think it's a coincidence.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think the job will be split fairly close to 50/50.     That’s more or less what Buck did last year (55% Castillo, 45% Joseph), in 2014 after Wieters went down, and in 2015 as Wieters was building back up.    I’d guess Joseph will catch a bit more than Sisco, but not a lot more.  

Those numbers are skewed by the time Beef spent on the DL.

16 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

I think Frobby explained it much better than I can.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I see us bringing in a vet C to compete with Sisco and replace Pena as AAA depth. If Sisco hits in ST he will stick. We don't need to subject him to Norfolk anymore. There is nothing wrong with a platoon with he and Joseph. Lots of lefties in the AL East. 

I wouldnt be surprise if the vet C at AAA depth turns out to be Pena.

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think this is absolutely right.  1.37 runs/game is significant and not likely to be pure coincidence.  But what does that?  Pitch calling?  I mean a tendency for pitchers to miss spots and get hammered should be similar regardless of who is behind the plate?  Framing, I could see if walk rates explained this gap.  I am further puzzled by Welly's old team seeing a sizable improvement.  I get that it seems to be him, I just don't get what it seems to be.  Does that make sense?

On 11/8/2017 at 10:23 AM, foxfield said:

I think this is absolutely right.  1.37 runs/game is significant and not likely to be pure coincidence.  But what does that?  Pitch calling?  I mean a tendency for pitchers to miss spots and get hammered should be similar regardless of who is behind the plate?  Framing, I could see if walk rates explained this gap.  I am further puzzled by Welly's old team seeing a sizable improvement.  I get that it seems to be him, I just don't get what it seems to be.  Does that make sense?

Pitch calling would be my guess.    It’s interesting that the starters had a huge gap but the relievers didn’t. Obviously, relievers usually only throw a couple of different pitches, so pitch calling is less important.    

Archived