Assume we don’t trade Manny and he walks

Frobby

Does that mean we’re doomed to be a bad team for the next several years?

Sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in one player.    The O’s went 49-31 without Manny in 2014.   It’s never all about one player.

At the same time, the handling of Manny is symptomatic of how the organization has been run the last few years, and that’s not good.    It would take a lot of smart decisions to keep the O’s competitive over the next five years.   

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in one player.    The O’s went 49-31 without Manny in 2014.   It’s never all about one player.

At the same time, the handling of Manny is symptomatic of how the organization has been run the last few years, and that’s not good.    It would take a lot of smart decisions to keep the O’s competitive over the next five years.   

Sorry but I am not looking for any smart decisions from this FO. 

The O's can survive without Manny. Naturally, I would rather get something for him before he leaves than just let him walk, but what if we are in a wild card spot in late July and all through August? Do we trade him then?

The Orioles will never be seen as a model organization. There are plenty of things to complain about. I won't start worrying about the next five years until they arrive. 

In 2016, the O's and Blue Jays played each other in the AL play-in game. The Twins lost more than a hundred games. In 2017, the O's and Blue Jays were at the bottom of the AL East and the Twins made the playoffs.  What will happen next year and beyond? Who knows? 

14 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

The O's can survive without Manny. Naturally, I would rather get something for him before he leaves than just let him walk, but what if we are in a wild card spot in late July and all through August? Do we trade him then?

Clearly they won’t trade him then, if they’re not trading him this offseason.   

Manny is on the path to be a HOF player.   Its much better to have those kind of players then to not have them.  How the O's can find position players.   Its the pitching that matters the most when playing in a hitters park.   If the O's can keep Bundy and Gausman plus add Harvey and Akin who turn out to be good major league starters the O's will be in pretty good shape to contend.   But as we have seen for the last 20 years.  Pitching prospects come to the majors and fail way too often in Camden Yards.   It a tough place to pitch.

Love Manny. Don't know if we should resign him for the mammoth numbers I've seen thrown around though. I'd be more interested if we hadn't given Davis so so much. Just seems like it'd be too much money tied up in two players.

I do think Manny will make the HOF one day and that his best season is still ahead of him. Just hope he doesn't go to another AL East team.

I think we're doomed to be bad with him or without him.  Frobby's caveat, that they need to make smart moves is a given.  But this team has hardly ever made smart moves and, until recently, has had a hard time developing young talent.  They have shown that they can develop position players (Schoop, Manny) but being able to develop pitching still remains a question mark.  Bundy is a nice sign but there needs to be a lot more.  They have shown that their FA starting pitching acquisitions are mostly terrible.

Having him would make the bad seasons more tolerable.  Slick plays at 3rd, big homers.  HOF career.  Much in the mold that Ripken was one of a few reasons to tune in for a large part of his career.

I have been assuming all along that we will not trade manny, which is a horrible decision from this front office. But that's what I have come to expect, horrible decisions from this front office. Zero regard for the future of the ball club. Sure hope I am wrong

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

That 2014 team was special. Best team I've seen in my 34 years. We trade hunter Harvey for Lester and we might have won it all. 

Manny walking is going to be hard to digest. I still think we trade him at the ASB of his last year if we aren't "in it".  

I think the Orioles will be bad post-Manny but I don't think it all rests on the loss of a single player. Post-Manny also means no Britton, no Jones (or a degrading Jones), Davis will be getting worse and worse every year and it looks like 2017 was just a sneak peak into how fast that can happen, there's no solid foundation in the farm in the near future, and our only two saving grace pitchers proved last year that they are not top of the rotation players but middle to back end. At the tip of the iceberg is losing Manny but it's a very large iceberg and Orioles are about to sink.

i hope I'm wrong. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Clearly they won’t trade him then, if they’re not trading him this offseason.   

And yet quite often when they return to Camden Yards wearing another uniform, they don't suffer the same fate. The more things change around here (Orioles Baseball) the more they stay the same. I'd like to blame ownership but the FO has made plenty of mistakes to prevent that. 

Amazing it wasn't that long ago I was a proud member of the DD fab club. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Manny is on the path to be a HOF player.   Its much better to have those kind of players then to not have them.  How the O's can find position players.   Its the pitching that matters the most when playing in a hitters park.   If the O's can keep Bundy and Gausman plus add Harvey and Akin who turn out to be good major league starters the O's will be in pretty good shape to contend.   But as we have seen for the last 20 years.  Pitching prospects come to the majors and fail way too often in Camden Yards.   It a tough place to pitch.

1 hour ago, theobird said:

I have been assuming all along that we will not trade manny, which is a horrible decision from this front office. But that's what I have come to expect, horrible decisions from this front office. Zero regard for the future of the ball club. Sure hope I am wrong

I don't think you are wrong at all. 

7 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

And yet quite often when they return to Camden Yards wearing another uniform, they don't suffer the same fate. The more things change around here (Orioles Baseball) the more they stay the same. I'd like to blame ownership but the FO has made plenty of mistakes to prevent that. 

Amazing it wasn't that long ago I was a proud member of the DD fab club. 

I was a fan of DD too. I do blame ownership though. It's seems that pitching went into the toilet about the time Angelos became the owner. I guess it's a coincidence. But it sure does seem like it goes together like ham and eggs. 

The FO has made some bad decisions but they've also made some good ones. We'd be a much better team with a better owner. I think most GM's including DD would be urging different ownership to trade Manny. DD should be holding ARoid's  old MFY  jersey in PA's face and asking if he wants too see that on Manny?

5 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I was a fan of DD too. I do blame ownership though. It's seems that pitching went into the toilet about the time Angelos became the owner. I guess it's a coincidence. But it sure does seem like it goes together like ham and eggs. 

It's not a coincidence. Angelos fostered a dysfunctional system of backstabbing and cronyism that DD and Buck have only partially fixed.

Archived