Assume we don’t trade Manny and he walks

Frobby

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think trade deadline Manny has the same value as season starting Manny.

Britton you might be right.

You are exactly right.  Only teams in serious contention make deadline deals and unless there is a fluke injury involved with their 3b guy, there is no way you break up a winning team by a minimal upgrade that inserting Manny would involve for a momth as it would also involve benching or trading whoever was playing third till then.  

Just face it,  Angelos is keeping him for 2018 and then he walks. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Agreed.  A team trading for Manny now knows that they will at least recoup a draft pick if they are unable to extend him.  A player traded during the season cannot be offered a QO, so no comp draft pick.  That isn't likely to be much of an issue for Britton, IMO.

12 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...so now they're considering moving Manny to SS? Then why did they trade for Tim Beckham? Why do I feel like this team no long term vision? On the bright side if we sign Todd Frazier we can arguably have the worst hitting corner infielders in the league. 

• Orioles officials are debating whether or not to move Manny Machado to shortstop next season.  While Machado is a free agent next winter, incumbent shortstop Tim Beckham may also not be the long-term answer at the position, as his scorching-hot first month with the O’s doesn’t erase other concerns about his overall offensive and defensive capability.  Given that Machado himself would reportedly prefer to move from third base to his original minor league position, it doesn’t seem like the O’s would meet with any resistance from the star infielder if they decided on the move.  Machado has been one of baseball’s best defensive third basemen but he has also displayed an above-average glove (5.4 UZR/150, +2 Defensive Runs Saved) over 433 career innings at short.  A position shift would greatly alter Baltimore’s offseason plans and put them in line to seek out third base help, perhaps even a top free agent like Mike Moustakas or Todd Frazier.  The O’s could also aim lower and simply look for a platoon partner to join Beckham at the hot corner.

So the Orioles are considering moving Manny to SS? Any other thoughts on this. 

In terms of where he ends up, I think the Yankee's are the odd's on favorite, unless the Marlin's decide to make a big splash. With them shopping Stanton it seems unlikely though. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So the Orioles are considering moving Manny to SS? Any other thoughts on this. 

In terms of where he ends up, I think the Yankee's are the odd's on favorite, unless the Marlin's decide to make a big splash. With them shopping Stanton it seems unlikely though. 

I started writing before the Hardy extension that if the Orioles were serious about extending him they needed to move him back to the position he prefers to play. Reaction from many here was not what you would call supportive.

Maybe they'll do it now? They should try Mancini at 3B, he's done everything else they've asked him to do.

29 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I started writing before the Hardy extension that if the Orioles were serious about extending him they needed to move him back to the position he prefers to play. Reaction from many here was not what you would call supportive.

Maybe they'll do it now? They should try Mancini at 3B, he's done everything else they've asked him to do.

Wow!

I heard Trey is already working with Bobby D, wearing goalie gear initially just to let the balls eat him up as he eases into his comfort zone!  Has some "five hole issues"....9_9

23 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Wow!

I heard Trey is already working with Bobby D, wearing goalie gear initially just to let the balls eat him up as he eases into his comfort zone!  Has some "five hole issues"....9_9

Any first baseman who throws right-handed and can move should be an option at 3B. You don't have to be a gazelle to do a decent job there.

Only the Baltimore Orioles would lock up a 30 year old Chris Davis for 7 years and ~$160m, but wouldn't do the right thing seemingly every offseason and try to lock up a 22, 23, 24 and now 25 year old Manny Machado.

Good grief. If Manny walks and all we net out of it is a 2nd rounder + 5th rounder (equivalent) it'll be a damn travesty.

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think they know he isn't staying and it is all spin.

Nothing to gain on any front to admit Machado is going to walk.

I'm really holding out hope that this is the case. DD has to know he's not going to sign here. If they say they're going to explore an extension now and they don't have one by the time 2018 rolls around it's clear to us and the rest of the league that he won't be signing here and lowers his trade value.

Ugh that's a stretch...

21 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

We know Trey has the arm. Do we know that about Ryan?

They worked with him all season so WE should know by now.  Just wondering though... Trey seems to throw side armed from OF - it's strong but not sure how accurate it will be in the IF - don't particularly like his delivery (but my only claim is staying at a HI Express).  We need both bats in our lineup.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree. At the TD both Britton and Manny would be serious game changers to  a team looking at the playoffs. More than now when they may have cheaper options and who knows where their season is headed.

29 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

We know Trey has the arm. Do we know that about Ryan?

I’d say Mountcastle at least the arm Mancini has if not better. Mancini seems to be a very accurate thrower though while Mountcastle has a weird arm slot and struggles to hit the target consistently.  Mountcastle is a more fluid athlete, at least at this point (he may not be as he ages, gains mass).

Edit: My point is I doubt Mancini the arm for third, he barely has the arm for LF. 

15 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...so now they're considering moving Manny to SS? Then why did they trade for Tim Beckham? Why do I feel like this team no long term vision? On the bright side if we sign Todd Frazier we can arguably have the worst hitting corner infielders in the league. 

• Orioles officials are debating whether or not to move Manny Machado to shortstop next season.  While Machado is a free agent next winter, incumbent shortstop Tim Beckham may also not be the long-term answer at the position, as his scorching-hot first month with the O’s doesn’t erase other concerns about his overall offensive and defensive capability.  Given that Machado himself would reportedly prefer to move from third base to his original minor league position, it doesn’t seem like the O’s would meet with any resistance from the star infielder if they decided on the move.  Machado has been one of baseball’s best defensive third basemen but he has also displayed an above-average glove (5.4 UZR/150, +2 Defensive Runs Saved) over 433 career innings at short.  A position shift would greatly alter Baltimore’s offseason plans and put them in line to seek out third base help, perhaps even a top free agent like Mike Moustakas or Todd Frazier.  The O’s could also aim lower and simply look for a platoon partner to join Beckham at the hot corner.

With the O's not being a major market team, I don't think it's realistic to sign Machado AND sign a high-priced free agent to play 3B.  Machado might be slightly better defensively than Beckham at SS, but that difference is probably doubled by how much better Machado is at 3rd base vs Frazier or Moustakas.  

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

With the O's not being a major market team, I don't think it's realistic to sign Machado AND sign a high-priced free agent to play 3B.  Machado might be slightly better defensively than Beckham at SS, but that difference is probably doubled by how much better Machado is at 3rd base vs Frazier or Moustakas.  

But Machado won't be here after next season, so it really doesn't matter how good he is.

Archived