Heyman Says The Dodgers and Cubs Are Interested in Britton Again

section18

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good evening all.

I am genuinely (mildly) surprised that the Cubs and Dodgers would still be interested in Britton at his price tag, after his season.  Those of you who know me remember I've been advocating his trade for some time now.  It still makes sense even though the golden opportunity for a big haul passed them by.  They can still get something nice for him.

I don't think it's a good idea to wait and see if he returns to domination this season.  If he does, the Orioles will probably want to keep him and shoot for the playoffs.  If he doesn't, he'll have next to no trade value.

54 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Good evening all.

I am genuinely (mildly) surprised that the Cubs and Dodgers would still be interested in Britton at his price tag, after his season.  Those of you who know me remember I've been advocating his trade for some time now.  It still makes sense even though the golden opportunity for a big haul passed them by.  They can still get something nice for him.

I don't think it's a good idea to wait and see if he returns to domination this season.  If he does, the Orioles will probably want to keep him and shoot for the playoffs.  If he doesn't, he'll have next to no trade value.

If Britton comes back and has a good season he'll get as much at the TD as he would get now maybe more. 

10 hours ago, El Gordo said:

If Britton comes back and has a good season he'll get as much at the TD as he would get now maybe more. 

But if Britton comes back and pitches, meh? Then he has virtually no trade value at all. That's the risk. The time to trade him was clearly last off season, and a lot of his value from that point is now gone. I think he would still bring back a good piece or two, but if he struggles in the first half of '08 then we lost big time. I think its important to shop his value right now, and pull the trigger if good value can be found. If not, you have to roll the dice and hope he pitches lights out in the first half of '08.

I honestly don't know why his health is that much of an issue. You have to assume trade partners will want to review medical reports before getting into serious negotiations. If they try to low ball the Orioles, they simply point to his medical records (assuming he's healthy now), past dominating performance, and chalk up last season's struggles to injury. 

I also don't agree that his value is less then it was at the trade deadline. Some of these teams, like the Cubs, HAD a closer last season. As of right they don't. 

On a somewhat related note I read earlier that Stanton WILL NOT approve a trade to the Cardinals and Red Sox. That might allow the Cardinals to revisit their bullpen situation. Also think Trumbo might be a possible fit for them. It just boils down to how much that want to improve via free agency versus trades. I love their farm system thought. Lots of good, young arms with nice upside. 

43 minutes ago, theobird said:

But if Britton comes back and pitches, meh? Then he has virtually no trade value at all. That's the risk. The time to trade him was clearly last off season, and a lot of his value from that point is now gone. I think he would still bring back a good piece or two, but if he struggles in the first half of '08 then we lost big time. I think its important to shop his value right now, and pull the trigger if good value can be found. If not, you have to roll the dice and hope he pitches lights out in the first half of '08.

If he's healthy he should pitch well, and they should know that before ST.

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing any return will be lower than what was offered at the deadline.

Agreed.  I think we're in almost a no-win situation with Britton.  He's being paid like a top closer, and he's a rental - as there's little chance he'll be re-signed.  As far as trade value, nobody's going to give up much for him - considering how uneven he was even when healthy last season.  The only chance we get something decent for him is he has a very good first half and someone's desperate for a closer.   And even then, we're likely not going to get more than 1 good prospect because of his salary and rental status.  The O's might have to pay some of his post-trade salary just to get that one good prospect. 

19 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I asked this before, but no one commented. Would you trade Britton for to the Dodgers for Maeda or Ryu and a lower level prospect? Both pitchers are arguably better then the second tier available free agent pitchers. Thoughts? 

Never been impressed with Maeda. Stuff not overpowering and pitches in the middle of the plate too much. He'd flirt with 30HR allowed and struggle to keep his ERA under 5 in the AL East. Ryu is the better pitcher, but not too thrilled about him either since he had a (small) labrum tear repaired and had surgery for debridement on his elbow as well. I'd still take a flier on him before I took Maeda, but I would need more than a low level prospect along with Ryu to even consider it and I still might not make that deal. Ryu is a bounce back candidate while Maeda probably has nowhere to go but down. Something like Ryu and Trevor Oaks perhaps.

On 11/13/2017 at 8:48 PM, spiritof66 said:

I think it's more like "Blow me away and then I'll try to get an appointment with Mr. Angelos to ask him to approve a trade." 

Thankfully Pa veto'd the last one. 3 prospects, all with injury issues, and none in the top 7 of the Astros system and Duquette agreed?

57 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Agreed.  I think we're in almost a no-win situation with Britton.  He's being paid like a top closer, and he's a rental - as there's little chance he'll be re-signed.  As far as trade value, nobody's going to give up much for him - considering how uneven he was even when healthy last season.  The only chance we get something decent for him is he has a very good first half and someone's desperate for a closer.   And even then, we're likely not going to get more than 1 good prospect because of his salary and rental status.  The O's might have to pay some of his post-trade salary just to get that one good prospect. 

It's a not a no win situation, the best course of action is to hold onto Britton unless some team wows you during the winter with a trade offer. 

If Britton's is healthy and pitching like he did pre-2017, teams will pay a bounty for him at the trade deadline.  I would rather pay Britton $10M next season even if he drops off than on a Wade Miley type.  

It's a gamble, but you can't non-tender Britton and let him slip away.  Besides Britton was getting underpaid in 2014 to 2016.  

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's a not a no win situation, the best course of action is to hold onto Britton unless some team wows you during the winter with a trade offer. 

If Britton's is healthy and pitching like he did pre-2017, teams will pay a bounty for him at the trade deadline.  I would rather pay Britton $10M next season even if he drops off than on a Wade Miley type.  

It's a gamble, but you can't non-tender Britton and let him slip away.  Besides Britton was getting underpaid in 2014 to 2016.  

But, Britton didn't have a sub par year, while it wasn't the lights out as he had been, he hadnt digressed that bad, and he was hurt.

Archived